Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

PlantFiles Pictures: Dwarf Palmetto, Bluestem Palmetto, Blue Palm (Sabal minor)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 1, Views: 237
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
suncatcheracres
Old Town, FL

July 25, 2003
2:10 AM

Post #592603

Dwarf Palmetto, Bluestem Palmetto, Blue Palm
Sabal minor

Northcentral Florida, zone 8b, shown growing near the driveway, seeking a sunny spot.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/57398/

Thumbnail by suncatcheracres
Click the image for an enlarged view.

suncatcheracres
Old Town, FL

July 25, 2003
2:23 PM

Post #593001

I agree with Palmbob (See Gardener's Notes) in that this is not a plant for the warm, dry climate of Southern California. I lived in California for over six years, and have lived in the Southeast US for many, many years, and the climates are almost opposites, in that the Southeast is colder in the winter, even Florida, and of course rather rainy and humid almost all year round. In a favorable habitat this small palm tree is a deep bluegreen in color, and requires only an annual pruning of old brown fronds to look nice. There is a trunk, but I understand from my reading that it grows underground as deep as five feet! Quite unusual. Of course it's claim to fame is its legendary coldhardiness, and therefore it can be grown where no other palms will grow. Even here in Northcentral Florida we have very few palms due to our occasional winter deep freezes that last for a few days. And I could see that it would be just the thing for England's cool and wet climate.

I have done a lot of research on this plant because I have a lot of them growing on my property, perhaps as much as a quarter acre, and I was not very familiar with the plant before. Of course I had seen them around in the Southeast, but had never paid any real attention to them, and didn't realize they were different from the "scrub palmetto," Sabal etonia, which by the way can look very scruffy here in Florida.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America