Old Town, FL

July 29, 2003
2:42 PM

Post #596735

Oriental Lily 'Star Gazer'
Lilium
Hybridized by L. Woodriff, 1978
Additional info: (aka Stargazer)

Northcentral Florida, Zone 8b. A pretty, dark flower, grown in light shade. It has a medium, sweet fragrance that seems more noticable at night.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1427/

Thumbnail by suncatcheracres
Click the image for an enlarged view.

eloopj
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2003
4:24 PM

Post #596838

Great photo! I love the Star Gazer Lily's!!
suncatcheracres
Old Town, FL

August 3, 2003
4:02 PM

Post #602557

Thanks. I took this picture from the side because the first morning I saw this flower in bloom this summer, this is how I first viewed it, and I was struck by how the red/pink color shown through the back of the flower. I'm so happy I have finally, after five or six years, successfully grown this flower, as all my previous efforts up in Georgia were eaten by deer.
eloopj
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2003
9:30 PM

Post #609973

Where in Georgia. I live just north of Atlanta but inside the perimeter.
suncatcheracres
Old Town, FL

August 13, 2003
2:49 AM

Post #613451

In Newnan, Georgia, about 25 miles south of Hartsfield Airport, down I-85 towards Montgomery, Alabama, zone 7b, at about 860 feet above sea level. The plant survived the cold and the red clay soil, but couldn't survive the herds of deer that roamed through the yard every night looking for tasty lily morsels.
eloopj
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2003
2:24 AM

Post #616985

Isn't there some kind of repellant for deer? Other than a shotgun? LOL
suncatcheracres
Old Town, FL

August 18, 2003
3:38 AM

Post #619503

We tried everything and the only thing that kind of worked was a six foot fence and a big dog! But the dog trampled the flowers.

Mllions of deer are starving to death and come in herds into subdivisions for tasty meals as their numbers are no longer controlled by hunting. I remember once stopping at a yard sale down the street in Georgia and watching a deer eating away at the next door neighbor's shrubs up against the house, completely oblivious to all the cars and people coming and going. They become fearless and become obstacles on the roads, causing accidents.
eloopj
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2003
8:57 PM

Post #624474

Maybe you need a little fence to keep the dog off of them. I know about the dogs ruining everything too. I've been dog sitting for the last year and a half for my oldest sons 2 big dogs! He just bought another house and is out of an appartment now! Yea soon they'll(2) be back in his yard!!!However I must say they didn't kill the yellowbell bushes that are in their pen. There's 4 down the edge of their pen! Janet
suncatcheracres
Old Town, FL

August 25, 2003
2:48 AM

Post #626667

I didn't think any plant could survive a dog yard, but I have my three Cocker girls in a dog pen when they are outside, as they can get out of the "cow" fence that surrounds my six acres here in Northcentral Florida, zone 8b, and the wild grape, poison oak, dwarf palmetto, beauty berry, and some kind of shiny leaved, thorny vine just keep coming on up. I have to constantly cut back the vines from the dog pen fence, especially the poison oak, because although dogs aren't bothered by it, they can carry the oils on their coat, and then I catch it!

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 24th 10:52 PM
eloopj
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2003
12:52 AM

Post #627367

Yes my neighbor use to get it real bad that way(dogs)!! I've never been bothered with it. THANK GOODNESS!!!
suncatcheracres
Old Town, FL

August 26, 2003
3:23 PM

Post #628032

You are very lucky not to be bothered by poison oak or ivy! So be careful how much you expose yourself to it because I have read from several sources that the more you are exposed to it, the more likely you are to become sensitive to it.

Despite wearing long pants, long sleeves, socks and gloves when I'm outside working with plants, even in the heat of a Florida summer, I am still constantly plagued with it. The best thing I have found to stop the itching and scratching is the new Benadryl Extra Strength itch stopping cream--it blocks histamines. It's expensive, but it's worth it, and much better than Caladryl.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America