Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Black dirt looking objects on Nicotiana

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2003
11:37 PM

Post #601750

First time growing this and it's under a pine tree - it's black and sticky - normal or a disease/bug? Or is it just dirt that's sticking from pine sap?

Thumbnail by Dea
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2003
12:39 AM

Post #601802

Dea, I don't think that is a normal thing for Nicotiana. My guess is that it may be black aphids. Can't really tell from your photo. Hope whatever it is it clears up. Donna
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2003
12:41 AM

Post #601809

Nicotiana is very sticky. If you have a tree above it that's dropping a lot of debris it could just be sticking to the plant. Ckeck it out with a magnifying glass... see if your dirt had legs or moves around at all.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2003
2:04 AM

Post #601947

Very true poppysue,I just harvested Nicotina seeds yesterday,I was surprised how many seeds stuck to the stem and pods,my guess would be debris also.
NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2003
5:40 AM

Post #602167

My Nicotiana sylvestris gets black aphids too - just covered with them. In a recent thread I said I only get black aphids on nasturtium but when I saw your picture it all came back to me! Never seems to stop them from blooming and setting seed tho...come to think of it, nothing seems to bother them.
TamTam
Blue Springs, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2003
1:26 PM

Post #602382

Had the same thing on mine and found a caterpillar on there - look real close & you might see one, could be 'pillar poop! :)
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2003
8:40 PM

Post #602873

I stopped growing nicotiana because of all the aphids.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America