Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Need a Cat ID please.

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2003
1:30 AM

Post #616914

Is this a good cat or a bad cat?? I know its a little fuzzy...LOL the pic is fuzzy too! But I have seen 3 total but I killed the first one, without thinking first. Do I need to go back and kill the other 2?? They do seem to be eatting my butterfly weed.

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2003
1:33 AM

Post #616916

This is the butterfly that has been hanging on the leaves down low on the same plant.
Could this be the cat for this butterfly??

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 16, 2003
2:11 AM

Post #616965

Not sure what your fuzzy orange cat is, but here is a link to the monarch(the butterfly pic) caterpillar, very different. http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegal/lepidoptera/monarch/monarchcat.html
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2003
2:25 AM

Post #616986

Ok, that means I was kinda right. The cats that I have on the other butterfly weed, is the monarch cats. So now I guess I need to find the swallowtail(sp?) and see what the cats look like for it.
Thanks a bunch Cala!
Paintedlady
Ellabell, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2003
5:29 PM

Post #618790

Mollybee, I'm pretty sure that is a moth cat, and I know it is not a Swallowtail cat. I belive the Monarch and the Queen are the only butterflies that uses Milkweed, and we don't get the Queen in GA.
I have this wage memory of reading about a moth using Milkweed, if I can bring that info out from all the cobweb in the back of my brain I'll let you know.
kneff
Dearborn, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2003
9:45 PM

Post #619037

I think it's probably the caterpillar (the orange one) of one of the tiger moths. Most of them are fuzzy, in various colors. The moths are rather pretty, usually spotted, and not considered serious pests. I found one like it yesterday on achillea, so you might try moving it to a different plant if you don't want it eating your butterfly weed. I try hard not to kill things that aren't doing any real harm, and have become quite tolerant of leaf loss in a full garden, especially when the result is a pretty butterfly or moth.
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2003
11:58 PM

Post #619167

Seems he has disappeared, so I guess he decided to move on by his self. So more than likely he'll show up some where else in a day or two.
Thanks for the help.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America