Rose of Sharon, Althea (Hibiscus syriacus)

Enterprise, FL(Zone 9b)

Common name: Rose of Sharon, Althea
Family: Malvaceae
Genus: Hibiscus
Species syriacus

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/788/

Thumbnail by SILady
Gray, LA

I have this plant growing in my front yard. It does well here in Gray, Louisiana. When I purchased it, I asked for a double flower variety. It looks just like the picture above.

Old Town, FL

Very beautiful. I think it would look nice with purple-lavender-pink azaleas like Purple Formosa and George Tabor, both of which can take considerable sun.

have you had problems with yellow leaves OR blacken flowers

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Perhaps the plant is receiving too much water. Mine did this and I discovered that they develop root rot very easily. They need to be watered infrequently once established. In fact, I hardly ever water mine. Just when we have not had much rain. They also need a fast draining soil.

Pittsburgh, PA

beautiful plant. i have some plants like this in my back yard.
it seems to thrive on its own.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I agree with htop. Although I live in a different zone, 6, I rarely water mine and it is beautiful, especially this year, even with all the heat.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We rarely water ours and they are doing fine. Getting bigger every year.

Athens, WV(Zone 5b)

I just planted 4 of these in my West Virginia garden. I wanted a single-flowered variety because I've heard they attract hummingbirds, butterflies & bees. I ended up with these double-flowered bushes. The blooms are beautiful. Just wondering if I will be getting hummers, butterflies or bees on these also. It seems that the old-fashioned single flowered variety of anything attracts more nectar-lovers. Will those of you with these double-flowered blooms let me know your experience? Thanks!

This message was edited Aug 21, 2006 1:04 PM

Belchertown, MA

Gorgeous flowers! I love the doubled ones!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images