CLOSED: Tons of red bugs!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Wondering what in the world these red bugs are?? They seem to stay piled up together, on my butterfly weed. Can't really see that they are doing any damage just yet but would like to know if they plan on it.
TIA

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

They're aphids and the milkweeds seem to attract plenty of them. You can try to battle them by hosing them off with a strong stream off water or maybe a mild soap solution. Anything stronger might harm your caterpillars.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Ladybugs to the rescue!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I just assumed that Aphids were soft bodied. These are hard shell bugs. Eaither way I gotta do something quickly!
Thanks for the help!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

They're hard shelled? Maybe I jumped the gun... aphids wouldn't have a hard shell. Maybe they're some sort of plant bug? If that's the case it will probably take more than soapy water to get rid of them. Try to knock the bugs off into a bucket of water mixed with a little ammonia.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

if not go buy that stuff from Schultz that I told you about. Those things look........well...........ugh

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I'll try that Poppysue. Ya know now that I look at them closer, there are a few of them that are bigger than a ladybug! Thanks

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Plant bugs go through several different stages.... from eenie weenie lil' thangs... to flying beasties!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Yikes! I have noticed that as the days go by they do seem to be getting bigger. But then again I can't tell that they are doing any real damage to the butterfly weed. They just pile up on one of the seed pods and sit there.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Here they are! http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4th/kkhp/1insects/milkweed.html They're immature milkweed bugs - Duh!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Yep thats them alright! Thanks for the help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images