Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: You people with that blue poppy...eat your heart out

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 12, Views: 223
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lantana

(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2001
6:24 PM

Post #5568

No chance I will ever grow that beautiful Himalayan poppy down here, but guess what sprouted for me today? Pride of Barbados! Yes, 9 sprouts!!!! So excited I had to spread the word. http://www.newleafgraphics.com/FL Exotic A/F00015.html
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2001
1:20 AM

Post #78289

** cool, Lantana **
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2001
10:22 AM

Post #78367

Very pretty Lantana. I've never even heard of them. Hope they do well for you. Are they hardy in your area?
northernskyes

May 30, 2001
11:19 AM

Post #78385

Lantana

My Bachmans store has the blue poppies- they are 2.99 for approx 10 seeds.
I have seen them on ebay too- like 4 something for 50 seeds.

I did buy the ones from Bachmans and will be trying them out. Supposed to be a bit hard to germinate I've heard. The directions on the package didn't look like it was that hard, though it said to not let them bloom the first year or until the plant is well developed. hmmm bummer have to wait a year to see them.
lantana

(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2001
3:04 PM

Post #78439

Poppysue, they freeze to the ground at 30 degrees. I'm planning on treating it like my brugmansias...cool greenhouse in the winter. I wonder if it would bonsai? Might be neat. Here's another link about growing it.
http://www.greendealer-exotic-seeds.com/seeds/PrideofBarbados.html
Since I have 9 of them, I might try leaving one outside and protect it during the winter to see what happens.
lantana

(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2001
1:54 AM

Post #78627

I traded for these last fall...sorry, I've planted all I had. With good fortune and no grasshoppers, perhaps I will have a plant to share later. I looked on that "other" gardening site and found these: http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/maltman
http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/paul_gehrke/

From what I have studied about that beautiful Himalayan poppy, it needs cool moist climates. Even Park's advises that it is not for hot, dry climates. So I must admire it from afar like the Lily of the Valley. Sigh...
lantana

(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2001
3:27 AM

Post #78931

Thank you very much for the invitation, Karma, but I don't transplant well at all. I tried living in the mountains of Northern New Mexico years ago and made it nine months. It started a blizzard March 22 and I left for Texas. Maybe with the help of Dave and his gardeners, our gardens will eventually merge...yeah, I know, big dreamer. "Shine on you crazy diamond!"
Chooch
Chatham-Kent, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2001
11:29 AM

Post #78973

Lantana ; You may be able to grow the orange or yellow Meconopsis cambrica types in a shadier location . Both are much less temperamental than the blue Mecs .
tinklebell

June 1, 2001
3:34 PM

Post #79051

lantana
i have the mec sheldonii and bentifolia in flower at the
moment ,they are in partial shade and are an awesome plant.
the likw well drained soil.
they grow in the mountains in China on the side of hills and by streams in full sun , but there again well drained and the due get frozen in the winter. try them under a bush the reward is worth it
tink
Happy_Gardener
Cedar Rapids, IA

June 3, 2001
4:20 AM

Post #79585

Lantana that is one beautiful plant. At first glance I thought it looked like fireworks. Keep us posted on how your nine babies grow.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America