Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Crepe Myrtle, Crape Myrtle 'Dynamite' (Lagerstroemia indica)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 14, Views: 3,800
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

August 29, 2003
8:56 PM

Post #631652

Crepe Myrtle, Crape Myrtle 'Dynamite'
Lagerstroemia indica

Beautiful deep red blooms.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/38054/

Thumbnail by dave
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2003
2:30 AM

Post #631879

Wow, I have never seen red in a crepe myrtle. Very pretty!!!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2003
5:43 AM

Post #634059

I have read that Dynamite is the best red crape myrtle. I have been searching for one! It looks like a great red color.

edited for there is no spell check... hint hint

This message was edited Monday, Sep 1st 1:45 AM
CDauphinet
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2003
12:27 PM

Post #634127

Just planted me THREE trees in July, about 8 ft tall each. They are starting to bud and seems to be doing wonderful. A friend of ours has huge Crape Mrytles and takes REALLY great care of them. She called me yesterday and told me IF I WANTED THEM TO GET BUSHING AT THE TOPS to REALLY trim off the branches...leaving about 5 inches on each limb. I've seen hers and REALLY ARE FULL on the tops. Problem is...I'M SCARED!!!!!! Any suggestions????

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2003
12:35 PM

Post #634133

As Jimmy Walker used to say: "DY-NO_MITE!!" Where did you get these Dave? We have a row of trees at the cemetery where I work and every other tree (not the same species) have died. I am trying to get them to replace them with Crepe Myrtles and these would be great.
By the way, do you still want some Dutch Iris, the ones comonly called Blue Flags? I am getting ready to dig up a huge bunch and divide. E-mail me with your addy.
dave

September 1, 2003
3:24 PM

Post #634273

woodspirit: I got these from a little nursery in Fredericksburg, Texas. We purchased it this past June. It's a patented variety from Whit and is a little expensive. I paid $25 I think for this specimen (3 gallon, I think).

It is indeed the deepest red we've ever seen, and this is why we bought it :) We already have no less than 50 crepe myrtles, but a pure red one simply could not be passed up. :)

CDauphinet: trimming crepe myrtles isn't rocket science. Just do it in the winter when they are completely dormant (I do it in January). Prune off all branches that are the size of a pencil or smaller. If you have to use a saw, then that's crepe murder. :) Use scissors or little snippers.

dave

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2003
5:43 PM

Post #634354

YOu didn't say if you want the blue flags????
dave

September 1, 2003
5:49 PM

Post #634358

Right, I didn't - I meant to email you!! (Hadn't gotten to it yet). I'll mail you right now. (And the answer is YES!) :)

dave
Leann
Nashville, TN

September 2, 2003
3:24 PM

Post #635375

I purchased my "Dynamite" from Michael Dirr's "Noble Plants Store" on the internet. It was small but has grown to be about 4 feet tall in 1 year and is blooming its young heart out. Its great! The foliage is very beautiful as well.

nobleplants.com
CDauphinet
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2003
1:28 AM

Post #650294

THANKS for the imput!!!! I'll wait!!!!!
DOn't want to lose these babies!!!!
CDauphinet

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2003
4:56 PM

Post #651015

CDauphinet, I agree with your friend. I murder my myrtles every year in October as soon as they stop blooming and look ragged. I live in a warm zone though. Then they lie dormant till spring. I take them down by 2/3s. A brutal trim. Unfortunately, I planted a huge variety, 2 in fact, in my front yard (a bush and a standard) and the bush one gets too huge each summer no matter how severely I prune it.

I have read about not pruning them severely but to tell the truth all the ones I see that are not pruned, end up with small terminal panicles. Mine are huge! Up to 2 feet long and almost as wide. every year I am amazed at how much fuller and how huge my blooms are compared to all those around me. I have read that the natural shape of a crape myrtle tree is ruined with severe pruning. This is probably true, but I go for the explosion of color.

I just finally found a 5 gallon Dynamite. I have 18 different colors now. I just love them! Most of the reds I see are not really red or even close to it. I just bought 3 more bushes and 3 more standards the other day. I just love the colors they come in and by the time they explode into color, my garden as well as myself need a color burst boost!

Thumbnail by Kell
Click the image for an enlarged view.

moonrose
Bell, FL

May 23, 2004
9:03 PM

Post #880709

I have 3 of these planted among my Crepe Myrtles. It was strange the first time they bloomed as they looked white at first opeing and deepen to that lucious red after. They are getting ready to bloom soon. My white myrtle is starting to bloom now and a few others have flower heads forming. I saw the red at a local nursery and could not resist it.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2004
9:57 PM

Post #880781

Gee, mine won't bloom till late summer. Where do you live Moonrose?
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2004
10:07 PM

Post #880797

Beautiful color. I was going to start some this year and another member from here in Iowa said they just won't winter over here in zone 5, so I figured I might as well not waste my money...but there is still that little bit of me that wants to try it.
genabug
Denham Springs, LA

October 22, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5703163

I am so glad I read all these comments! I am a newbie to plantings and such, I planted my Dynamite 2 yrs ago and it still isn't full! I didn't know to prune it after the blooming season! I will be sure to do that come winter! Thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America