Photo by Melody

Dave's Garden FAQ: Why do my messages all have "edit" under my username?

Communities > Forums > Dave's Garden FAQ
bookmark
Forum: Dave's Garden FAQReplies: 5, Views: 467
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2003
4:09 AM

Post #637248

Many new members become self-conscious when they spot this link, believing we're insinuating they should edit their post. Rest assured, everyone sees an "edit" link next to their own posts - it's a DG feature that allows you to tweak spelling errors, add more information, etc. Since you can't edit anyone else's posts, you'll only see this link next to your own posts.

Occasionally members use the "edit" capability to completely wipe out an entire post; while it's generally acceptable to do that, it's not advised: if any other posts refer to what yours contained, it leaves a hole in the thread that makes it difficult for other readers to figure out what's missing.

It's also poor web etiquette to post an inflammatory comment in order to goad others into responding, then removing your post to create the impression that subsequent post(s) are an unprovoked attack.
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2004
12:14 AM

Post #1127876

I am bumping this up. I am a newbie and was wondering why I had an edit under my name and no one else does.
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

January 18, 2008
1:21 PM

Post #4419499

I am curious, how many edits are allowed in a 24hr period? And just for fun, why is it limited?
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2008
5:01 AM

Post #4459273

I'm curious about this too. It just happened to me, --SORRY, YOU HAVE USED UP YOUR NUMBER OF EDITS FOR THE DAY--and I don't think I've edited more than perhaps 10 times today. I've been on here for about 4 hours since I'm tired of working in the yard and DH has commandered the TV!!

Some people post hundreds of times in one day...especially those playing the word games. Can y'all explain why the edits are limited? Do they take lots of "power" from the system?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #4460273

Occasionally there are people who decide they want to go through and remove all their previous posts or things along those lines, and I think the edit limit was created so that people couldn't do things like that. There are a few forums like coops where you're allowed more than the edit limit since frequent edits are necessary if you're a coop organizer, but for everything else you're limited to 5 or 10 or something in that ballpark.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #4461240

Ecrane3:

Thanks SO much for your help--both this time and myriad previous times. You must be online as much as I AM! LOL
I do think the Internet is the Greatest Invention of our time...think how people who are confined to a wheelchair (one of my DG friends is) now have something to do other than watch TV when they want to do something indoors!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dave's Garden FAQ Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
DG: About the origins of Dave's Garden lupinelover 46 Jan 23, 2010 1:24 AM
Can I post more than one image per message? Happenstance 19 Jul 24, 2007 12:58 AM
How do I create bold, italicized, and underlined text? tcfromky 51 Oct 21, 2009 3:13 AM
What are the differences between DG and GardenWeb? garlicgoddess 143 Jun 9, 2010 10:09 PM
Can I change my username? Terry 5 Aug 13, 2009 2:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America