Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

DG Journals and Diaries: Should I make my garden journal "public" or "private"?

Communities > Forums > DG Journals and Diaries
bookmark
Forum: DG Journals and DiariesReplies: 15, Views: 607
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2003
4:31 PM

Post #638736

It would be helpful for those who maintain garden journals here at Dave's Garden if you could discuss the pros and cons of public vs. private journals.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2003
10:56 PM

Post #723966

Anybody? Surely there are a few members who have chosen to mark their journals "public" and a few more who have decided to keep theirs "private"...
hotlanta
Lilburn, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2004
11:03 PM

Post #762195

Terry, Is there a "primer" about the journal? I am new to the seed and plant trading; just entered an item on the seed trading. Now, I would like to know exactly what the journal is all about before I go in there.
Flit
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2004
8:21 PM

Post #762989

I made it public so I can point friends to things if I want.

Some people may keep it private because they don't like showing people their mental scratch space. I like that the defaults are private.
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2004
12:06 PM

Post #1119710

I don't see where the question about a journal primer was answered. I'm in the same the boat, trying to set mine up initially and struggling with it a bit. Is there any kind of tutorial ? My current issue is trying to figure out how to set up TODO list.

As for public vs private, I think public is good because it allows newbies like me to see how different people have organized their journals. I think once I get mine set up it may also be use to use as a reference in posts like Flit said. But I think the option to keep a journal private is essential. Otherwise, some people that might otherwise want to use it would not if they had to make it public.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2004
12:54 PM

Post #1119738

There is an FAQ for the journal, just as there is for each "tab" of our site. When you click on the Journal tab, go to the FAQ. It was written by one of our members, and should contain the essential information needed to get started on a journal, and answer the most common questions members have.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2005
11:47 PM

Post #1292504

I have my journal set up as public for the same reason Flit has. I'd love to see a way to maintain individual journals, choosing public or private for each.
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2005
3:17 AM

Post #1393799

I also, have a journal but mine is marked private mainly because I still after all this time haven't figured out how to make it do what I want it to do, I get frustrated and move on. Also, I use mine for things like coop orders, my hems etc nothing that would really interest anybody else. Just things I want records of.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2005
1:53 PM

Post #1394323

I'd like the option of making sections private and some public. You could point folks to your journal and still have the spot where you experiment or have personal stuff.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2005
1:59 PM

Post #1394330

I have mine as public so others can look at it and get ideas. I've often pointed people to my Journal for the purpose of showing them how I use the Journal.

I would like the opportunity to set privacy for specific journals. Right now I have them marked public and I'd like to have a daily journal (sort of a personal blog space) but don't start one because I want my other journals to be public but would want a daily one to be private.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2005
2:26 AM

Post #1395110

I'd like that, too -- public and private. I wish they were easier to set up and maintain. I know how to use them for the basic stuff I use them for, but it's hard explaining it all to folks new to it, even with the help files available.
oceangirl
Cape Cod, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2005
11:53 PM

Post #1396880

I am finding more and more uses for the journal as I go along- partly because I have looked at other journals to see how different people use them... I recently changed mine from public to private- and I wish there were a way I could share parts of it, maybe by having it password protected and sending the password to people I want to share it with.
I am very torn about making my journal private, but I do garden work for other people and I want to be free to use names- or photos which might show their homes sometimes, and I want to protect their privacy.
If I could share some journals and keep others private, that would work for me.
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2005
12:03 AM

Post #1396895

I think that would be great if we could make parts of it public or private. I know I have wanted to let somebody see a picture in mine before but couldn't because it was private.
WaterBoi
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2005
2:50 AM

Post #1405784

I also like the idea of having part of the journal public while password protecting a private portion.
jnn
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2005
2:57 PM

Post #1406542

I made mine public because I think it's nice to be able to share our gardens and to get ideas from each other. I also like to see how people have organized their journals and their gardens.
SalmonMe
Springboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2005
3:08 PM

Post #1406561

http://davesgarden.com/journal/edit/showimage.php?eid=68518

I posted this just to show how easy it is to copy a page from our journal into a thread. I had originally had my journal public, but then started to get uncomfortable about how many people were accessible to photos of my home (I have since deleted any photos of my family). I am not trying to be paranoid, and I wholeheartedly attest that DGers are wonderful people and this site is as safe as any on the internet. But, no site is completely safe... so my journal is private now.

I can access the photos on my journal and post them in threads this way:
I go to my journal and click on the specific photo that I want so that it's enlarged. Then I go up to the "address" bar at the top of the computer screen and highlight the address for that particular photo. It usually shows up as davesgarden.com/journal/then some words and numbers. Then press the control and c keys to copy. Then I go back to the thread I want to post in, and when I want to paste the address into my post I press down control and v to paste it. I'm only showing a pic/info that I've chosen to make public, but the remainder of my journal is private.

It's much less complex than it sounds. Control + C= copy and Control + V= paste. Hope this is helpful to someone. It has worked very well for me, but if admin wants to create a feature within the journal to make posting journal pages to threads easier, that would probably be more user friendly to most folks :)

Huga

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other DG Journals and Diaries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Online journal - getting started Terry 219 Apr 1, 2008 1:12 PM
    Journal "wish list" requests here, please Terry 178 Aug 25, 2014 3:44 PM
    The Garden Diary is ready for testing dave 159 Aug 18, 2008 7:51 PM
    "Watching" a Garden Diary dave 18 Jul 2, 2013 7:36 AM
    Using both the journal and diary barbur 4 Sep 28, 2013 6:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America