Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Name that bug, Please!

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 9, Views: 204
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
frogsrus
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 8, 2003
2:53 AM

Post #641301

I thought I would post this here too. What are they and how do I get rid of them? They are running up and down the tomato vines that I didn't get pulled out yet because they have some maters left.. I am starting a new winter tomato experiment and don't want these things to find my baby zebras. Nasty.

Just for fun, the hornworms have decided to eat my peppers. Yech!

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ButterflyGardnr
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2003
3:41 AM

Post #641385

If you want to get rid of the hornworms, you can use Bacillus thuringensis (commonly known in gardening centers as Thuricide or Bt). It is sold as a powder or a liquid. I recommend the powder as it keeps longer and is a little more versatile--you can simply dust the plants with some powder or you can mix it in water and make a spray. The liquid is live Bt and has to be kept at certain temps, it's only viable for so long and then you have to throw it out.

Bt is a naturally occurring bacteria that gives any caterpillars it encounters a bad stomach ache. They stop eating and die of starvation. If you have a nearby butterfly garden, you want to be careful applying this stuff as it can affect butterflies also.

I posted a response in the other forum. I think it's aphids (could be ladybug larvae, but they don't look quite right for that).
frogsrus
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 8, 2003
1:32 PM

Post #641705

ButterflyGardnr, I am on my way. I have hornworms in the most unlikely places this year. Last year I found a grand total of 2. This year they are even eating the wandering jews. Thanks
Janice
Jul
Lake Elsinore, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2003
5:19 PM

Post #641918

I don't know what those are. YUCK! But we have these horned leaf hoppers whose babies are spiny like this, they don't have tose big noses though! Hope someone knows what they are, I would hate to have them eat your zebra toms! Good luck.

As far as hornworms. I don't have any because I invite the birds into my garden.

My dad picks them off daily where he lives in Nevada, then he kills them and puts them on this old stump. The birds come and take away the reamins. They wait for him to come out each day for their daily feeding. He has his tomatoes under shade cloth. I think I will have to do that next year.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2003
2:58 AM

Post #642460

Hi Frogs...Looked all over the place for an answer for you. They appear to be some kind of larvae, but couldn't find any pics similar to that. We thought perhaps it was Lygus and upon researching, found out that they do invade the Western parts of the US, but they look nothing like adults. Perhaps they are Lygus larvae. I would suggest taking your picture to your local extension office and finding out how to irradicate them. It would be a shame to lose your future crop to something like that. They look pretty nasty. Not sure why the hornworms are going after your peppers and your wandering jews? Remember if your hornworms look like they have rice all over them, leave them alone. Parasitic wasps are killing them for you. Seems like the bugs in your neck of the woods are confused...It has been a strange weather year all over the states, thus could explain the strange behaviors. And BT is good for preventative measures. It will not kill the butterflies because they don't eat it, but the caterpillars will eat it and die. Happy Day, Kathy @ Misty Meadows Farm
frogsrus
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 9, 2003
3:15 AM

Post #642472

Thanks for all of the research,Kathy. I guess I had go get some pics of their best side and run them down to the experts. Maybe I will just herd some into a container.

Alas, no rice. Just big fat worm eating what I can only assume is the new worm Atkin's diet. Sounds like BT is the answer.

I had a dog when I was a kid that ate the durned things. She would sit in among the tomato plants and listen until she heard one and good bye worm. My mother loved that dog. I wish I had her descendent. Used to take one, and only one, egg a day to bury as her pay for watching the chickens. Everyone said we would have to put her down because she would steal all of the eggs but she never did. Just one a day.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2003
12:11 PM

Post #642657

Perhaps you could pick off the hornworms now, get a pup, feed it hornworms...yuck, yuck, yuck (just the thought of it) and train another one...:) I can't imagine that being a delicacy. Happy Day.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 10, 2003
3:30 AM

Post #643663

Just keep them babies in CA.!
frogsrus
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 11, 2003
12:32 AM

Post #644473

Found Them. http://davesgarden.com/t/397976/
Jul
Lake Elsinore, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2003
5:47 AM

Post #650608

Hey, that is the bug that the Nurseryman told me was a buffalo Leaf hopper. Same bug.

So... my nursery man named it wrong. A Tree Hopper. I guess it looks like a buffalo from the side! LOL!!!!

Same nasty bug, but wrong name. They are relentless. Sorry that you have them. Glad you know what they are now, and glad I know too!

Thanks, I must have missed that link.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2003 1:49 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America