Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: Hurricane Isabel

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 89, Views: 1,275
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2003
12:16 PM

Post #648199

Lisa started a thrtead to watch Isabel, but many people didn't recognize it by the title, hence another thread. This morning's map shows the eye may come on land in Tidewater Virginia, and climb right up the Chesapeake Bay to Baltimore.

To those in the direct path of Isabel: I don't "know" many of you, but here are a few: Carol7, Jody, ginlyn, sgtdot. Take every precaution, and know our hopes and prayers are with you.

Mostof us in SC, NC, VA and MD will be affected even if not in the path of the eye. Button up well, stock up on candles and drinking water...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT13/refresh/AL1303W5+GIF/120258W5.gif
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2003
1:29 PM

Post #648271

Darius, knowing first hand what a category 4 or 5 hurricane can bring sends shivers down my back. It is a horrible thing to know a monster like that is breathing at the back door. This one will surely bring devastation of catastrophic proportions. I pray that everyone in her path will be safe.
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2003
2:12 PM

Post #648314

Darius, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I haven't watched any weather today and was surprised to see it may be heading our direction. We bought a small generator the other day, just hope we don't have to use it.
I had seen Lisa's post, but at the time didn't know what direction it might end up taking.I hope everyone takes precautions.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2003 10:13 AM
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2003
4:39 PM

Post #648471

Thanks for the thoughts Darius!!!

Have been watching it closely, right now they are showing the direct path right to us :( Since we are right on the bay I'm really hoping it vears off to the ocean and keeps on going... will be watching closely all week as it gets closer. Tried out the generator today to make sure it's in good working condition.

If it does indeed come this way poor DH will have to go to VA coast and stay on the boat and I'll have to tend the house alone :( He will be on a little tip of land on the ocean and the bay only 10 miles the other side.

It looks like it WILL hit the east coast somewhere so darius and everyone else on the east coast keep watching. I think no matter what, even it turns, somebodys going to get hit by it.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2003
6:11 PM

Post #648572

These can be so dangerous...my advice to anyone is if it is a 4 or 5...EVACUATE!
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2003
7:30 PM

Post #648628

All my family is in Suffolk VA in the path. My son lives alone in my house there. I'm worried about them & hope & pray it turns. I'd rather have it here than there. At least we can leave & he doesn't even have a car or anyone to help him. Keep him & the others in your prayers.
narc
Coupland, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2003
11:07 PM

Post #648845

Sugar
Please let the authorities know his situation, they can get him out and to a shelter, He as all the rest of you are in my prayers.
Be safe.
Vicki/Narc
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2003
11:32 PM

Post #648875

My prayers are with you all. We'll be watching. I wish that there was something we could do but I guess we have to leave that to a higher power then us all.
God bless and keep you safe
Jan
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2003
1:08 AM

Post #648986

Watching...And praying for you guys.
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2003
3:17 AM

Post #649163

I am with Weeds.. LEAVE if it is 4 or 5.. I went throught under Hurricane Andrew!
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2003
1:10 PM

Post #649457

I hope not hit North Carolina because of my DS live there also 2 SIL and the family and neice and nephew.
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2003
1:29 PM

Post #649473

I lived through Hurricane Andrew (have a T-shirt with that on it (grin). Lost half my roof to Avacado trees trying to get in out of the storm, my daughter lost all of her roof and her garage. The storm is BAD, but goes by in a matter of hours. The aftermath is VERY BAD, and lasts months. No power or water for a month, no phone for 3 months.
TO ALL IN ISABEL'S PATH: Think seriously about the aftermath! Prepare as if you are going to be wilderness camping for a long period and you should be O.K. Remembeer to turn off the water going into your hot water heater, that's 30 to 50 gallons stored there, and buy LOT'S of Peanut Butter, Jelly and Vienna Sausage!!
Patricia
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2003
1:30 PM

Post #649475

praying for you all. take no chances.
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2003
2:33 PM

Post #649522

I'd appreciate your prayers too. Some of you may know that my family homeplaces and roots are in the projected path of Isabel's landfall at Cape Lookout, NC area. We are watching closely and praying for a cold front to move this storm back off to sea.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2003
2:49 PM

Post #649551

praying for everyone
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2003
3:27 PM

Post #649601

I've been watching this one for a while, and while I'm glad it's not coming for us I'm worried about those in it's path. We know what to expect, what to do, maybe some don't.

My advice ... If you are in the possible projected path of the storm make arraignments today for where you will stay if/when you evacuate. Call your aunt or your cousin or make a reservation. Do it today. You can always cancel if it turns out not to be necessary. Once the evacuation starts, all bets are off and you could end up driving from motel to motel in some strange place with no hope of getting a room. Make sure you get far enough away from the coast. This storm seems very powerful (look at the eye on that thing!!) and may not die back as early as expected.

Go NOW and fill up all the vehicles with gas. Keep them full until this has passed. You don't want to get caught in the line of panicked evacuees trying to get gas at the last minute.

Take with you the things that cannot be replaced. Records, policies, important papers, financial documents, photos, gramma's jewelry, baby books ... After Andrew I never heard anyone say "I should have taken my TV" but a lot of people lameted the loss of those small personal items that can never be replaced. Get as much of that as you can together now, so that if an evacuation does happen you can just load it up. And get cash, you will need cash. If you have camping equipment, take it, too. You may need it when the storm is over, and if you leave it, it may be gone forever.

If you are going to board up, make sure you have the lumber NOW. That is one thing that you may regret buying if the storm doesn't hit, but believe me when I tell you it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

If I were in the possible path of this storm, these are the things I would be doing now. I have my boards ready at this time of year on general principles.

Praying for all who may be effected ...

Cheri'
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2003
4:01 PM

Post #649630

Excellent advice SUNDRY. Living through Andrew in Miami was bad enough, but this monster has me very concerned about my Nags Head cousins. Their rule of thumb for evacuation is to go if the wind is 100 MPH or more. I pray they have already moved out of harm's way. Let me add one thing. There are so many things that are precious to us that can't fit into a car or van with family and pets. Don't take time to sort, just get super tough plastic yard debris bags, throw everything into them and seal the tops with duct tape. Put them as high up as you can in an inner closet and brace the closet door. My daughter did this, and even after the windows and roof went she saved many precious things. My prayers are with all in harms way.
Patricia
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2003
4:15 PM

Post #649641

Cheri' that is really good advise. Sure helps to plan ahead. We'll be praying also.
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2003
5:31 PM

Post #649737

Patricia, that's a good idea, too. Here, all valuables that are not coming with go into the central hallway, which is the most protected area of the house. Rubbermaid containers work good, too, but those super heavy duty bags would be a lot better than nothing.

Take pictures of everything before you pack it up, for possible insurance purposes. Then take pics to show that you took steps to protect your stuff. Take the film with you, you don't need to get it developed unless ... well unless you need to.

Fill the freezer with jugs of water. This serves two purposes - keeps the stuff in the freezer frozen longer after the electricity goes out and provides drinking water during the aftermath. Crank your freezer up to it's coldest setting before leaving.

Before you come home, stock up on canned goods, but don't get ridiculous with it. Get a manual can opener. Get charcoal, and get matches and lighters. This will be in case your house and stuff is ok, but the electricity is out for a while. You will want to be able to cook as much of the stuff in the freezer as possible. You would be surprised what you are willing to give for a box of matches when the electricity has been out for a while ...

Generators are great, but they run on fuel, which may not be available, and that isn't something you can really stock up. Soooooo, get matches, get charcoal and get dry ice before you come home. While you are getting stuff to bring home, get as much water as you can. There is never enough water during a disaster.

These are things you don't think about until you live it. You think the worst case scenario is everything being gone, so anything less than that is do-able. It's best to be prepared for it, tho. After Andrew, the electricity was out for a while, but the gas was still on. We had the only gas stove on the block, but with an electric starter. Matches quickly became an issue. I can still see the little girl from next door standing there with a pot of Spaghettios, displaying the match she had brought to light the stove. LOL

Cheri'

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2003
5:44 PM

Post #649742

All the suggestions above are great, and worth doing. I would add, Do not wait until 12 hours before the storm hits if you are going to evacuate! The roads will be clogged and moving at a snail's pace.

I have lived through many hurricanes in my lifetime, but none with winds over 120 MPH. I'd hate to be in Isabel's path.

I am now aware of probabilities to the point that I stay prepared as best as I can afford for any potential disaster. During the non-panic times, I have acquired a solar battery charger (and batteries!), a wind-up radio, a good hiking-style water filter unit that uses a ceramic filter (and an extra filter, good for 100-150 gals.), and a backpack camp stove. Plus other small necessary items like the space-age survival blankets that fit in the glove box.

Also, I keep 2 backpacks packed all the time with a change of dry clothing in plastic bags, a wool blanket wrapped in a bag (wool is warm even wet), quick nourishing food bars, waterproofed matches, and the like.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2003
6:02 PM

Post #649761

Carol7 is in Surry County too!! She and hubbie have a good head on their shoulders so I'm sure they will move out of harm's way, especially with all their pets. At least, I hope to God they do!! Having lived on the Tidewater I know all the implications that such a storm can bring. There are just two roads to safety from Hampton and Newport News and and they would never accomodate a mass evacuation. People really need to start moving now and I mean it. I think we might get some of the wind and possibly some storms but nothing like head on impact. These folks are in my prayers. God help them!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2003
6:14 PM

Post #649769

Margaret, I've talked to Carol, and she is strongly considering taking the 4 dogs and the rabbit and heading to a campground in the Shenandoah Valley, as motels probably won't take dogs, or at least not 4. Adam works for the power company, so will be working 20 hour days.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2003
6:16 PM

Post #649775

Here's some more things to think about.

A supply of non-perishable packaged or canned food and two (2) manual - can openers, hand operated (non-electric).

Towels, toilet paper and bathroom items

A first aid kit and prescription medications, and a first aid manual and package of examination gloves.

Additional family items include: bandages, antiseptic, tape, compresses, aspirin and non-aspirin pain reliever, anti-diarrhea medication, antacid, tampons, Syrup of Ipecac (used to induce vomiting if advised by the Poison Control Center).

Two large coolers (one to keep food; one to go get ice).
An extra pair of glasses, camera and film.

Several boxes of candles and matches sealed in plastic bags.

Credit cards and cash. ATM's may not be working.

An extra set of car keys. Try them out, too.

A list of current family physicians and current prescription medications. Do you have enough on hand for two weeks... should they be refilled now...!

A list of important family health information; the style and serial number of medical devices, such as pacemakers. Review the Special Needs Section for special items for infants, elderly, or disabled family members.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2003
7:33 PM

Post #649871

I hope you have all on your list Dea as it looks like we need to batten down the hatches here also. I believe I will bring in the rest of my potted plants and all else that could become a potential flying object.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2003
7:41 PM

Post #649879

All on hand and a large generator also - holler if you need help!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2003
8:04 PM

Post #649903

Candee and Dea I was only thinking about you this afternoon since we don't know where this thing is going to strike.

darius I'm glad you spoke with Carol. We also used to come to the Charlottesville area when we were threatened and the motels allowed us three cats.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2003
9:51 PM

Post #649984

Well, Tasha & Mike just back last eve from their honeymoon in Mexico and they live in Salisbury, guess the honeymoon is over !!!

Thanks Dea, but we are over that mountain, holler if you need help we can all go to the cabin! You know, bow season is in today LOL!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2003
10:08 PM

Post #650000

Mercy! Salisbury!! And bow season - LOL; my brothers have made Cabelas lots of $$$ ! Well, Lowes and Home Depot are now officially out of generators, plywood. My Corp HQ just sent a broadcast to delay all "business" until Monday as the region I "do" is from PA to SC. About half of my staff lives on the coast and even though this is now a Cat 3 Hurricane, it can gain strength and still do lots of damage. Happy your kiddies are home so they can button up!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2003
10:42 PM

Post #650026

We should have an Emergency Contact system set up for our hurrican-path friends. Is someone in contact with each of these folks? I know Darius has Carol's phone number...Anyone else have a buddy system going?
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2003
10:46 PM

Post #650033

Good idea Kimberly! I haven't checked in yet with JSS or Shirley1md. How could we start a help needed thread?? Any ideas?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2003
10:59 PM

Post #650051

I think an Emergency Contact list of some sort is a good idea. Many folks in Isabel's path now have cell phones (incl. free long distance, not that anyone cares much about cost in an emergency). Maybe have a couple of volunteers who are easily reachable who would be contact persons, and report here on a new thread?
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2003
11:25 PM

Post #650082

darius - I'll do it as long as everyone agrees that this is an emergency # and not to just chat. I'll start an emergency Isabel phone in thread.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2003
11:30 PM

Post #650095

I'm always here if I can help by being a contact or in any way at all.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2003
11:46 PM

Post #650116

Dea, how will we get your number to whomever needs to call, without exposing you here unnecessarily?
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2003
12:58 AM

Post #650242

Well Dea and Candee I hope ya'll didn't wait and got what ever you needed already.

Check out this part of an article on the comcast homepage:

Stevens Hardware in Annapolis, Md., ran out of batteries, flashlights, lamp oil, tape, camping lamps, can openers, plastic sheeting and candles before noon Monday, said manager Mike Stevens.

"A lot of people are calling for generators. I don't think there's a generator in Annapolis to be bought," Stevens said.

Officials in Baltimore canceled leave for staffers in the police, fire, transportation and public works departments.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2003
1:09 AM

Post #650261

I'm home most of the time and am reacheable. If I'm not home, we have an answering machine and I check it. I'm also willing to be a contact point for those who want to keep in touch with DG - e-mail me your phone number if you'd like to be my emergency buddy.
IndaShade
Kylertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2003
1:10 AM

Post #650263

Hopefully this thing will downgrade one more notch before it hits land.

Being in inland PA, we will probably just get alot of rain and some high winds, but certainly not like those closer to the coast will get. I remember when Hugo went through PA it blew so hard that the hanging baskets of Impatiens on my porch were SIDEWAYS.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2003
2:04 AM

Post #650359

The last I heard it was downgraded to category 3.
yardbird
Maben, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2003

Post #650486

Just talked to Carol7 she said she was trying not to panic. She can't decide what to do, go or stay. She said she would wait untill Wed and see what it looked like them. I told her not to wait too late to leave.

Will be praying for all the Isabel's path.

Please let me know if I can do anything for anyone.

Ruth
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2003
3:30 AM

Post #650507

Bless her heart, that's got to be heartwrenching. If she feels a tug to go, she probably should. How scary.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2003
11:17 AM

Post #650712

Well, this AM the sustained winds are down to 115 MPH, and it hasn't made landfall yet. Lots of Hope that it keeps diminishing!
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2003
11:44 AM

Post #650731

Everybody please be careful. Thinking of you all. Don't wait to long before you decide to leave.
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2003
5:54 PM

Post #651082

Dea and Darius, do a member search of the area contained in this storm and send them an email. Love and prayers to you all.

"eyes"
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2003
1:54 AM

Post #651486

I just called my SIL little while ago and they are plan on stay home not have to worry to leave.. it will not hit where they are at that they live 3 hours aways from the ocean also my son live 3 1/2 hours from this too that good so now I'm relief so you all be careful and will think of you all and pray too also.

Good night! I don't feel good plus still sore and pain hate that feel. =( So will go to Therpy tomorrow.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2003 9:57 PM
Carol7
Surry, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2003
3:46 PM

Post #652089

Well I am just about as ready for Isabel as I am ever going to be. DH even checked the roof last night as a precaution. They are predicting now that it is going to be a category 1 hurricane in my area instead of what was thought earlier, and the direct path has moved west instead of directly over me. Although I am only 5 miles from the James River I am not considered to be in a flood zone - it's only supposed to flood here every 500 years - so let's hope this is not the 500th year! The main concern I have is that our ground is so saturated because of all of the rain this year, and the high winds could easily make trees fall and my home is surrounded by trees.

I can't say how much I appreciate all of the hurricane preparedness tips that were posted here. They were a big help for me to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything.

Since I may be without power for awhile after Isabel arrives tomorrow I just want to thank everyone ahead of time for their posts, prayers, private emails, phone calls, and those who took their personal time to search some things for me.

Carol

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2003
4:50 PM

Post #652146

I'd also like to thank everyone for their insight and support. We made a special effort last eve to bring in all the potted plants, secure furniture, remove flying objects even bird feeders. We even contacted the insurance company to make sure the fountain, log splitter and a few other items would be insured in case of falling trees. Thanks again,
Candee
yardbird
Maben, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2003
4:59 PM

Post #652155

Thanks for the update Carol and Candee, just had you on my mind and came here to see if there were any up dates.

Hug Hugs
Ruth
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2003
5:00 PM

Post #652158

Same here...love y'all, take care...now to reach the others!!

"eyes"
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2003
5:29 PM

Post #652203

Carol you know that you and family are always welcome to stay here with us until its all over.
I am praying that it will disapate before it can cause any damage to anyone. Miracels do happen and I am asking for one now.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2003
5:39 PM

Post #652213

Looking pretty nasty folks, moving NNW and if it truly does take that path it's going to slam OC, MD, come right up the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River tribs, etc. and hit really hard. It's only 1 mph below a Cat III. The projected path still shows it landing at Outer Banks but it's still early. Guess we've done about all we can, generator's ready, water stock-piled since we're on a well and will be shutting down our Baltimore operations tomorrow morning.

Be safe all !! xoxo
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2003
6:43 PM

Post #652293

Hang on to your hat Dea, will be thinking of you. Hope those newlyweds have cover in Salisbury, you know there aren't many basements for cover down on the shore. Not a great welcome home from the honeymoon and Tasha is on call for disaster relief if families are in need of help this is her week on call, not to comforting for "mom"! Just pray it is over soon and everyone remains safe and sound!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2003
12:53 AM

Post #652718

Be safe everyone - Ya'll be in my prayers!! :-)
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2003
9:41 AM

Post #653030

I hope that all of the folks in the path of Isabel fare well and stay safe. I live in coastal Louisiana, so I'm well-acquainted with the threat of hurricanes and can sympathize with your plight. It might not be of much help at this late date, but over the past year, I have tried to put together some information (mainly for my own reference) to which I can refer when hurricanes threaten. If it can be of help to anyone, here is the link:

http://members.aol.com/Minnyminew/weather_hurricanes.htm

Again, I hope that all come through the storm safe and sound. -- Jean

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2003
11:40 AM

Post #653069

LaSweetPea... good work on that list! Thanks for posting it.

The beginning of this thread has the link to the visual path of this storm. Here's the link for the text which gives the latest detail: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
(Just click on the latest advisory on Hurricane Isabel just below the top.)
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2003
11:45 AM

Post #653073

Praying for everyones safety in the path of the Hurricane. Please be safe.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2003
12:17 PM

Post #653098

I'll be praying for you folks in the storm. Let us know you're ok as soon as you can do so.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2003
2:15 PM

Post #653240

Windy and rainy here...schools are closed, 122 storm shelters have been opened (mostly in eastern NC). Expecting trees to go down and power outtages, again mostly east of us, depending on how the storm turns when it hits land (at around noon or so).

narc
Coupland, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2003
2:21 PM

Post #653249

Ya'll are in my prayers. Please stay as safe as possible.

Narc
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2003
2:39 PM

Post #653268

Definitely, stay safe y'all. We're watching the updates and praying for you guys.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2003
3:13 PM

Post #653305

Just got word that liberal leave goes into effect here at noon and the Courthouse will be closed tomorrow so will be heading home shortly. Everyone take care,
Candee
Wintermoor
Jesteburg-Wiedenhof
Germany
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2003
4:08 PM

Post #653359

Keep your heads under cover folks ... please!!

We're all hoping your safe.

Barry, Wanda & Joe

Family Wintermoor
vic

September 18, 2003
5:19 PM

Post #653450

Praying for each of you...
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2003
5:34 PM

Post #653460

Hard for me to follow two threads.

Update at http://davesgarden.com/t/398987/

windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2003
1:39 AM

Post #653866

I just talked to Carol7 and they are all ok, thank God.
A tree fell on the front of her house and two fell about three ft from the back of her house.
There were 16 trees that was ripped up by their roots in her yard along with a lot of her plants.
They still has some wind and rain but it is moving on and not as strong as it was.
She is without power so it might be a while before she is able to get online.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2003
2:57 AM

Post #653959

Oh, gosh...Did she say how much damage the one that hit the house did? It's probably hard to tell, still. Oh, man. Thank God they're okay, though!
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2003

Post #653982

No she didn't, right now its still going on but not as bad. Once she has her power back she can tell you more about it.
I just wanted to let everyone know that they are all right and in good sprits.

You know that we are going to get some of it as well but only the tail end of it, mostly high winds and rain, as if I needed anymore rain.
yardbird
Maben, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2003
2:19 PM

Post #654285

Just got off the phone w/Carol7 and they are great. She is trying to clean up some in the yard. Just being out of power is the worst right now, but she said they could live w/that.

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2003
3:32 PM

Post #654339

Fairly unscathed here. Glad to hear Carol is doing well. Power back on here and the worst was about 3am when a huge tree split and fell, oh what a noise, but didn't hit anything thank goodness. 4x4 post with a birdhouse on it snapped in the garden, but most of the plants were already down so no damage there! Palm trees were really swaying in the winds. Lots of limbs and the tree to clean up, but will have to wait as we need to head to cabin as the hurricane eye went right through the Cumberland gap and that is where our cabin is. Hope for little or no damage there.
thanks again to everyone for their support and great ideas of water in the freezer and getting up all the flying objects, sure made things safer for us!
Candee
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2003
3:40 PM

Post #654348

Had email from Jody and Dea, believe they are all okay.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2003
3:41 PM

Post #654350

Had a thought about 3am as the trees were cracking around us, you don't think that putting in that Isle with Majestic Palms is what brought that hurricane up our way do ya? They were sure swaying in the "breeze"!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2003
7:25 PM

Post #654538

So far it looks like most of you have fared fairly well and made it through without injuries. I am so relieved that the worst is passed and pray the heavy rains don't damage what the winds missed. Please be careful as you begin your cleanups and do not forget to look overhead for possible danger from objects that were blown into trees and could fall on you. And if you have fallen trees and such to deal with be extra careful not to over do it when clearing things up. No need to hurt your back in the cleanup effort after coming through the storm without injuries!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2003
8:21 PM

Post #654579

Power back on here at home - yippee!! Generator sure is a loud beast! Damage is minimal; arbors all came down but that's small in comparison to the loss of loved ones for so many others. And, it's raining again, just what we need! How did your sand hold up Candee?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2003
10:07 PM

Post #654669

Wonder how Margaret and DH are faring. Anyone speak to them since yesterday?
IndaShade
Kylertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2003
10:55 PM

Post #654712

Isabel was a dud here in Western PA. Alot of rain, some moderately high winds, and not much else. The lights blinked a couple of times at work today, but we didn't lose power, although some places around the area did.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2003
11:12 PM

Post #654720

More updates - maybe we should start posting on one thread? http://davesgarden.com/t/399497/
sgtdot
Bel Air, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2003
11:46 PM

Post #654750

Just got power back on (7:00 P.M.) lost it at 7:00 p.m. last night. Gin Lynn has a gas stove so she had us up for dinner tonight and when we returned home out lights were on. She is still without electric. They have a small generator that they connect to the refrigerator. We had lots of trees down in our neighborhood, none on our property, we were lucky. It could have been much worse.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2003
4:37 AM

Post #654968

Good to hear from you, Dot!
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2003
5:33 PM

Post #655365

Dot I am so glad that you and family are ok.
There are so many people that I had in my prayers and believe me I didn't forget to pray for your family as well.

To the many here that was threaten by Isabel please know that I keep you all in my prayers.
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2003
9:49 PM

Post #655526

Our power came back on around 9:30 this morning. It was off 32 hours. Before the storm I rooted around in the basement for my old stovetop percolator so that at least we could have coffee.( Thank goodness for a gas stove.)
I consider us among the lucky ones, especially after listening to a Baltimore talk show today and hearing about all the people that have flooded basements,in addition to no power. Our small generator kept our refrigerator and our neighbors going. Thanks for everyone's concern. Gin
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2003
5:17 AM

Post #655980

Wow, sounds like you had things relatively smooth, Ginlyn!
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2003
6:24 PM

Post #656344

Carol7 is still without power and I am praying that she will have it on soon.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2003
10:07 PM

Post #656488

Just one tree down here and bird house on a 4x4 post in the ground. MIL still without power in Silver Spring. Cottage in gap was fine, just a few trees down and power out 24 hrs. Silver Spring MIL, still w/o power since Thurs. cottages at the bay at North beach not too good. Patio in back yard, cottage full of sand, bulkhead rocks in front and all the siding came off one cottage. Well got our work ahead of us LOL!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2003
2:02 AM

Post #656774

I have a friend in Silver Spring - I'll have to see if I can contact her.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2003
12:03 PM

Post #657031

Good idea gw, MIL says power may be out for another WEEK! They lost all the freezer food and fridge and she said you can't get a block of ice within 100 miles. Hope it comes back on soon as FIL is very frail - told them to come up here but they won't budge.
tropicalnut
virginia beach, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
1:02 PM

Post #660278

still no power here and it's been a week already, hoping to have on with crossed fingers in about 3-4 days i think they estimate...
lost all food in freezers and 2 fridges hoping to get some help in that aspect from the food banks they have been sooooo very helpful here to everyone,thank God for Salvation Army too!
just an update...thought you'd like to know...
thanks for all the prayers to everyone you guys channeled for everybody!!!
cristina
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
1:04 PM

Post #660283

cristina, Carol was asking about you on the phone yesterday. her insurance covered her freezer food, but I think she had a rider to cover it. Hope you get help!!! glad you checked in, hope you get your power on soon.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2003
3:41 PM

Post #660599

Oh man, hope you get power back on soon. MIL was without power in Silver Spring for a week and she lost all the food she had frozen that she had put up, berries, pies, etc. She said she'll never put any up again, I told her never say never. Hope the next few days go by quickly for you and you can regain some hot water and elec.
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2003
5:30 PM

Post #660678

tropicalnut
My son in Suffolk got his lites back Tuesday evening so maybe U will get yours soon. BOY was he one happy person as He doesn't have a car & didn't even have candles as I won't let him. He is bi-polor with other problems & safest without candles. He didn't even ask. He did have a flashlite with a couple of changes of batterys. I do plan on getting him a GOOD camping battery lantern in case there is another time or ice storms. He only lost what was inside the refrig as a friend put his frozen foods in her freezer as she has a generator. This same friend of ours brought him some hot food several times. He was really climbing the walls by Tue but would have been worse without them. He was very unprepared & they got what he needed. I have a old radio that my friend's husband wants to buy from me.. well it is gonna be his but he won't have to buy it. They wasn't home this morning when I tried to call them about it. They are probably out helping someone.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2003
8:37 PM

Post #664731

Sugar, I'm glad to hear your son made it through everything okay! :)
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2003
11:10 PM

Post #664851

GW we bought him a nice Coleman battery lantern today. It should put off quite a bit of lite. Also got 2 sets of the 6 volt batteries but I hope he never has to use it though. Now if the lites will just not go out again till we get there Thanksgiving. I know we will have to replace the batteries at least every couple of years but thats not too bad. It also uses 8 D batteries so may later get a couple of sets of those for him too. By the time he started preparing U couldn't even find a flashlite there.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America