-
AuthorContent
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

May 30, 2001
4:50 PM

Post #78452

KHT, this may be too hard to do...brugs are so beautiful, it will be hard to choose. do you mean send in the pic of your personal favorite plant?
arlene
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2001
5:12 PM

Post #78459

I don't have any Brugs ...YET! But I think your idea is great fun. I would love to watch the competition. Friendly contests are fun for all and make even DG a more exciting place...and I didn't think that was possible!

Instead of a Blue ribbon though how about a DG Embossed plant marker that gives the plant discription and says "I won the DG Contest Award on (date) This could be made out of a gold or blue embossable metal available at craft stores and would make a great way to show off a bit in your gardens.
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2001
5:31 PM

Post #78461

aarrgg!! I was in Homestead, FL this past weekend, I could barely keep my eyes on the road with all the nurseries on both sides. The brugs were out front, some were loaded with so many flowers, and as tall as 8feet (rough estimate moving at 60mph from about 100 yr from the road).

Wish I had a digital cam to take pics, then I'm all set for the blue ribbon!! :))

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2001
5:36 PM

Post #78464

KHT... I have my FIRST brug plant just now... don't think I could compete... but it's a neat idea.

Zany,use, I like your suggestion(s) too!1
-darius
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

May 30, 2001
5:36 PM

Post #78465

SOUNDS LIKE A BLAST
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 30, 2001
7:00 PM

Post #78495

I'd love to get in on this IF my camera is working at that time! It doesn't sometimes!! Only thing is, I grow mine in pots...so they probably won't hold a candle to those of you who grow yours in-ground!
Cena

May 30, 2001
8:03 PM

Post #78519

Well, sounds like we container gardeners are all in the same boat.

I wouldn't show mine. Every summer mid heat, I go to war with the catapillers, they usually win. I have some five sticks of varying height with two leaves left on top. And burgs tend not to get fed enough in containers.

Let alone BLOOM! I'm on my fourth year and nary a sign of a full head of leaves let alone bloom.

No thank you, I'll wait.

It's a fun idea though.

Cena
Artena

(Zone 3a)

May 30, 2001
8:05 PM

Post #78521

I have a confession, I do not know what a "brug" looks like,so I would love watching the contest progress and view the pictures.
Contests help keep us on our toes...no pun intended...LOL
Tena
Agapanthus
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2001
10:19 PM

Post #78562

Sounds like a great idea. Question though. I am growing mine in a container, it's at least a few years old and it is doing beautifully! Since this is my first one maybe Cena can help me about the catapillers. And why should mine not do as well in a container as in the ground? I love these plants and would like to see pictures of others.
I was also told I could winter mine over if I cut it way back and protected it well. I guess that's more than one question, but I would appreciate any help.
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

May 30, 2001
10:32 PM

Post #78568

Hi Karma,

it would be great if I could please have some Brug seeds - anything except white.
My seeds gone to post today - hope they reach you well. read me email

regards

Dimitri
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 31, 2001
5:53 PM

Post #78772

Bummer, Cena! I had plentiful blooms the first year from small cuttings that grew and grew and grew! Have you tried Volck Oil Spray? Someone somewhere had said that works for many insects... and I did use it for spider mites last summer, it worked great! But I did have to reapply about a month and a half later. Also, it's widely available...if I can get it around here, I know you can. It's made by Ortho, I got it at a hardware store - around $5. Has anyone else tried it?
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2001
7:53 PM

Post #78802

I have some Gold colored embossing metal left over from another project and will see what I can come up with for your contest. Any suggestions on a design for it?
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2001
9:59 PM

Post #78838

I just got 3 little brugs from David who got them from Calalily. I have them in containers and would love to be in the contest. Don't know if they'll be big enough this year, tho.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2001
10:04 PM

Post #78843

I'll join in the newbie group, if mine make it that far:) I love these and hope to be growing them for the rest of my life!!
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2001
10:08 PM

Post #78846

Removed by member request
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2001
5:34 AM

Post #78948

Karma, I will be glad to use Daves artwork but think we need to pass it by him first for approval? I'll hyperlink this thread to him and see what his thoughts are on it. Don't want to anger the Number 1 Web Master!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2001
12:07 PM

Post #78981

im a newbie too-dont know if they will bloom this year but i sure hope so!
Deanne
Franktown, CO
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2001
2:18 PM

Post #79018

I'd like to try too, if mine bloom. I'm new at this too. I sent you an e-mail.
meplant
kelso, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2001
2:18 PM

Post #79019

I'd also like to participate...I grow mine in pots and have to winter them over...two of mine grew last year, and the other three are cuttings from these...Please keep us updated on the progress of this contest...How fun!!...meplant :) :)
Agapanthus
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2001
6:07 PM

Post #79105

Could someone answer my question (as a Newbie grower) I asked on 5-30 as to why besides feeding that Cena mentioned why these babies don't do as well in pots as in the ground? And if meplant can overwinter them in Wash. I should be able to here in the pot in NC, right? So far mine are budding & flowering like mad, but do dry out in the pot almost daily. Don't want to water too much, right? Thanks for any help.

This message was edited Friday, Jun 1st 2:07 PM
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2001
2:44 PM

Post #79370

(Sure wish I had some Brugs so I could join in...have never grown them b4. Our local Southern States is going out of bizness...I'm heading over there to see if they have any.) I'm gonna be watching this contest!
perLite
Petaluma, CA

June 2, 2001
5:59 PM

Post #79415

Say, Karma, can we add Daturas? They're SOOOOO close... I have only one of each at the moment, but more are in the works.
dave

June 2, 2001
11:42 PM

Post #79495

Karma,

That will probably be fine, but if it's going to have the name Dave's Garden, I'll want to see the logo and "okay" it before you can use it.

that's not my choice - it's just the trademark law. If I don't do that kind of junk, I can lose the trademark. :(

Dave
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2001
3:21 AM

Post #79565

Count me in!! Guess I am a newbie Brug grower, having received my first Brug off ebay last spring, then cuttings from Karma last fall. Currently, all are in pots except one (which survived the winter in ground).

Jean
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2001
5:50 AM

Post #79592

I can do the design either way. I personally would keep Daves Garden logo as is since the contest is a DG kinda thing! I can add a Brug on the bottom before or after the winners name. But The logo represents the site and I like it!

What ever you like is fine though so let me know for sure what you want. I'll do up a sketch and e=mail it to you and Dave so you can Tweek it befor I emboss the metal. Also need to know how many catagories and their titles so we can do one for each.

As for adding the Datura...I can't say because I have never seen one! Are they as difficult to grow and as lovely? If they are comparable in the effort they require to achieve a beautiful bloom then by all means lets include them!
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2001
7:03 AM

Post #79607

Sounds great and we will all be winners with our Datura's and Brug's and thier terrific aroma even if we don't win the honor. I live in Georgia and have 9 Brugs that I overwinter in the ground. (I still perfer to call them Angel Trumpet. I guess it's the Georgia red neck showing through. I used to live in Alabama also.) My Datura always comes back from the roots but I overwinter them in pots. I have an abundance of Datura's this year from seeds and the roots. They are forming buds now so it won't be long. Thanks JJsgarden for helping me determine that I did indeed have Datura.
Jim
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2001
2:25 AM

Post #79942

You are most welcome Jim...good to see you here at Daves Garden!!

Jean
Agapanthus
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2001
12:39 AM

Post #82123

Dear KHT. Boy, am I behind or I posted my thanks for your pictures someplace else and can't find where I did it. But again, the hyperlink was great. Also thanks to all of you because I now know I have Daturas also. Got them from a "little ole lady" down the street who swore she brought them from Panama years ago. I thought the leaves looked familiar, then they started to set blooms. For sure not some wierd plant, but a cultivated plant that grows wild here. Question: difference 'tween this and jimson weed?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America