-
AuthorContent
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2003
3:40 AM

Post #651643

I grow several different tomatoes with some quite good others not exciting. I am trying to decide what to try next year . could some of you who grow here tell me your favorites. This year my favorites were BUFFALO, EARL OF EDGECOME, HUSKY RED, AMISH PASTE, And TUMBLER a stunning red cherry that is tasty and prolific. THOSE worth another try include MONROE, CLEBRITY, and SUPERSONIC. Those that did well but I just did'nt like becase I'm me but you may think are great were HUSKY GOLD,And GREENHOUSE 761. EARLY GIRL AND OREGON SPRING WON'T BE GROWN AGAIN DUE TO A ZILLION TOMATOES MOST VERY SMALL.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 17, 2003
9:59 PM

Post #652510

Hi eweed:
Wish I could answer your question, but the only tomato, from yor listing,that I have raised is the Tumbler which I am looking at as I type.I hang them in baskets.(3)Two are red Tumblers and the center one is a Balconi Yellow.The yellow grows about 12 in.and grows very full. They really look great especially when they bear fruit at the same time, very coloroful. Oh! They are in 16 in.baskets(2-per bskt.) and do well with our heat and humidity. Right now it is 90 degrees and I see a thunder storm in the distance. Have you tried "Miracle-Gro"???
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

September 18, 2003
1:05 AM

Post #652731

could some of you who grow here tell me your favorites.

Well, that lets me out from making any recommendations. (smile)

Carolyn, who was the person who introduced Earl of Edgecombe to the US via a friend from England and the HDRA. Thought you might find that factoid interesting. It has an interesting background.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2003
1:33 AM

Post #652762

TPLANT THANKS FOR THE INFO ON HANGING THE TUMBLERS I THINK I WILL NEXT YEAR BUT KINDA SHORT ON EVE ROOM AS I HAVE 30 SOME HANGING BASKETS AND IT WOULD MEAN EXPANDING MY UNDER EVE DRIP WATERING SYSTEM. OH YES WITH ALL THE FLOWERS I HAVE I BUY LOTS OF M GROW I MIX 35 GALLONS AT A TIME AND APPLY AT AMBIENT TEMP. I USE IT FOR MY CONTAINER TOMATOES BUT NOT THOSE GROWN IN THE DIRT. COMPOSTED COW STUFF APPLIED TO MY GARDEN IS MY MAIN FERT ALONG WITH WINTER GRAIN.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2003
2:16 AM

Post #652831

CAROLYN I WILL RE ASK MY QUESTION . TO DATE I HAVE SENT ONE E MAIL IN MY LIFE THOUGH I OWNED A COMPUTER LONG PRIOR TO THE INTERNET.THE NEW QUESTION IS WHAT TYPE TOMATOES HAVE A CHANCE OF DOING WELL IN NORTHWEST WASHINGTON. I HAVE AN ABUNDANCE OF WATER BUT AM IN THE SHADE AFTER 4;30 5;OO, I GROW FOR PRETTY AND PREFER LARGE AND RED. AS TO THE EARL I DO FIND THAT INTERESTING AS WILL A FRIEND OF MINE I GOT THE SEED FROM. I CAN'T ASK HIM WHERE HE GOT IT BUT HE WAS A MARKET FARMER AND I KNOW HE GOT LOTS OF HIS SEEDS FROM SOMETHING LIKE JOHNS SEED COMPANY HE WLL BE TRAVELING UNTILL NEXT SUMMER. I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HDRA IS, IF MY STYLE IS BAD WELL SORRY MY INTENTIONS ARE NOT TO INTRUDE
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2003
5:21 AM

Post #655983

Special thanks to all the kind folks who shared secretive tomatoe varieties to try out next year.

I'm off to the seed catalogs to buy 25 or so new ones to try, that should put a smile on my face when they start to mature.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

September 21, 2003
12:38 PM

Post #656077

I KNOW HE GOT LOTS OF HIS SEEDS FROM SOMETHING LIKE JOHNS SEED COMPANY HE WLL BE TRAVELING UNTILL NEXT SUMMER. I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HDRA IS, IF MY STYLE IS BAD WELL SORRY MY INTENTIONS ARE NOT TO INTRUDE

I think the seed source you must be referring to is Johnny's Selected Seeds in Maine; an outstanding place to buy seeds.

HDRA is an organization in England that acts similar to what the Seed Savers Exchange does is the US; that is, preservation of older varieties. HDRA in the past few years has redirected their efforts elsewhere. it is not a seed source that we in the US should be dealing with since we have 100 times the number of varieties available to us thru the many wonderful companies that specialize in heirloom varieties.

Your style is not bad at all, per your comment above. But let me share with folks that you e-mailed me privately asking for variety suggestions and I suggeted that you post your question publically so that anyone and everyone could answer, not just me. I also explained that many years ago I had to give up answering questions privately, with few exceptions, because of the volume, and that's why I do post at several places.

You did not intrude at all. My feeling is that a public message forum, such as Dave's Garden, is a public message forum, and that all questions and answers should be public.

Now, as to varieties.

It seems as though a lot of what you mention above are med red tomato varieties so those must be the ones you like best.

If so, with heirlooms you might wish to try Druzba,Box Car Willie, Bulgarian #7, Red Brandywine, Break o Day and Lida Ukrainian, for starters.

Med red hybrids might include Moreton Hybrid and Jet Star, which, as with your Supersonic, are bred by the Harris Seed Co and I think their breeding lines have given us some of the best tasting hybrid varieties around.

Other productive great tasting heirlooms might include the pinks Eva Purple Ball, Crnkovich Yugoslavian and Sandul Moldovan.

You might also try Cherokee Purple, which is sweet and lucious and seems to do well for almost everyone.

Small fruited ones such as Sophie's Choice ( from Edmonton, Canada) and Matina, a small red from Germany, as well as Stupice, another small red, also do well for many folks. The Sophie one is a determinate and is early with very large fruits.

Carolyn
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2003
3:56 PM

Post #656219

guilty as charged being brand new to forums I came on a question that said do you want to send an e mail I thought that was what I was supposed to do to reply directly. That was my first e mail in my life and the result was like i committed a crime sorry. ITS OK i can take my spanking with a laugh.will be more careful in the future.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

September 21, 2003
8:15 PM

Post #656415

Eweed said:

That was my first e mail in my life and the result was like i committed a crime sorry.

My response to you when you asked for varieties, is as below, and I sure didn't make it sound like a crime, now, did I. (smile)

My response to you:

((Sure could, but it's best for you to ask for other varieties at DG if you haven 't done so already.

Then others could also answer with their suggestions. And DG is a public forum. (smile)))

Normally I wouldn't comment on issues such as this but I try so hard to be polite in answering e-mails and try hard to let folks know that they really should get input from everyone, not just me.

And when you made the comment about committing some kind of crime the implication was that I wrote something back to you which was perhaps not nice, which wasn't true at all.

I think one of the major problems is that I have a well regarded book on tomatoes out there in the public and so I get hit with so many private e-mails you really can't believe it. I just cannot deal with questions sent to me privately so always do ask, with few exceptions, that folks post their questions publically so as to get the largest input. And the places where I do post are public forum places.

When I'm given the choice as to whether or not I want to answer a question it makes it so much easier as regards my time and other obligations. Yes, I'm retired, but I spent this afternoon packaging up 42 packs of seed to send to New Zealand, which will then be distributed to folks in NZ and Australia; it's planting time for those down under. And I've made available to certain folks about 150 varieties of very old seed and they can chose up to 6 varieties and I've received over 150 responses, so I'm up to my respective "bippies" with over 1000 seed packs to make up.

Then there's the 200# of tomatoes out back waiting to be set up for fermentations and the 40 pint containers of finished fermentations which have to be processed.

And on and on it goes.

Sometimes I wonder how I got everything done before I retired. LOL

OK, enough already, lets move forward.

Carolyn, just sharing a bit b/c I don't want to get up and go water the mums in pots and start on those fermentations. (smile)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America