-
AuthorContent
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 20, 2003
7:19 PM

Post #655439

YEP!...It works. I suffer from many malodies one of them being Post Polio Syndrome,so you can imagine that weeding is not one of my preferances. It's made from old tires and comes in two colors. Red and black. It will not wash away in the heaviest of rains and lasts forever. I mentioned it in the Tomato Forum.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2003
12:08 AM

Post #656629

I think I have seen something like this. The ones I saw are for trees and are round with a slice thru to a hole in the center for the trunk. They were about an inch thick. Suppose to let water and air thru but not light.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 22, 2003
1:22 AM

Post #656740

Nope, that's not it. These are chunks of tires about 2in. square with the wire of the steel belt removed. I buy mine at "Lowes Building Supply".It comes in a plastic bag just like regular mulch and weighs about 30lbs.@ $8.00 a bag.It's well worth it considering it lasts and lasts and will not wash away. No mess! Ever!! I'm surprised that no one knows about this product.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2003 9:25 PM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2003
10:09 PM

Post #702624

We saw this mulch at the Parade of Homes last year; they used it in a playground.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 9, 2003
8:28 PM

Post #705055

Gardenwife
The mulch is made from chopped -up rubber tires with the steel belt removed. Each piece is about the size of a cherry tomatoe or a bit larger.I don't think that was it. It seems to be a rare mulch, but eventually it will be
available. It is distributed by "Lowes Builders Supply".
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2003
9:07 PM

Post #705087

This looked like bits of bark, just small pieces. It wasn't a solid surface, but a mulch-like appearance. I wish I'd written down the product's name. I could probably find it in the literature (I'm a packrat, so chances are the booklet is *somewhere* in the office, LOL).
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 9, 2003
9:58 PM

Post #705113

That's the stuff...
catblueplants
North Richland Hills, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2004
1:06 AM

Post #744524

TPlant,
I'm from Fort Worth TX and also have Post Polio Syndrome. I was looking for the type of mulch you are talking about, but wondered if it would start to stink in the "hot" sun in North Texas. Last year I bought some floor mats for my covered patio and they were also made out of recycled tires, but during the heat of the summer..WOW did they smell bad.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2004
11:53 AM

Post #747450

I'm also concerned about the chemicals that might leach out into the soil for the plants to pick up. Eventually they might kill plants and poison us.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 10, 2004
5:57 AM

Post #749249

I use the rubber mulch here in So. Fl. and I know it's just as hot here in the summer and I can assure you that there isn't any odor at all. I have had my mulch about a year now and they have not melted or changed in any way.They come in two colors-- red which I use and brown.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2004
3:19 AM

Post #750219

I don't think this kind of material would have to change visible to leach out chemicals. I do plant iris, etc. in some old tires filled with soil. Just watch them carefully to see how they are doing each year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America