RUBBER MULCH?

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

YEP!.....It works. I suffer from many malodies one of them being Post Polio Syndrome,so you can imagine that weeding is not one of my preferances. It's made from old tires and comes in two colors. Red and black. It will not wash away in the heaviest of rains and lasts forever. I mentioned it in the Tomato Forum.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I think I have seen something like this. The ones I saw are for trees and are round with a slice thru to a hole in the center for the trunk. They were about an inch thick. Suppose to let water and air thru but not light.

Nope, that's not it. These are chunks of tires about 2in. square with the wire of the steel belt removed. I buy mine at "Lowes Building Supply".It comes in a plastic bag just like regular mulch and weighs about 30lbs.@ $8.00 a bag.It's well worth it considering it lasts and lasts and will not wash away. No mess! Ever!! I'm surprised that no one knows about this product.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2003 9:25 PM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

We saw this mulch at the Parade of Homes last year; they used it in a playground.

Gardenwife
The mulch is made from chopped -up rubber tires with the steel belt removed. Each piece is about the size of a cherry tomatoe or a bit larger.I don't think that was it. It seems to be a rare mulch, but eventually it will be
available. It is distributed by "Lowes Builders Supply".

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

This looked like bits of bark, just small pieces. It wasn't a solid surface, but a mulch-like appearance. I wish I'd written down the product's name. I could probably find it in the literature (I'm a packrat, so chances are the booklet is *somewhere* in the office, LOL).

That's the stuff.......

North Richland Hills, TX(Zone 8a)

TPlant,
I'm from Fort Worth TX and also have Post Polio Syndrome. I was looking for the type of mulch you are talking about, but wondered if it would start to stink in the "hot" sun in North Texas. Last year I bought some floor mats for my covered patio and they were also made out of recycled tires, but during the heat of the summer..WOW did they smell bad.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm also concerned about the chemicals that might leach out into the soil for the plants to pick up. Eventually they might kill plants and poison us.

I use the rubber mulch here in So. Fl. and I know it's just as hot here in the summer and I can assure you that there isn't any odor at all. I have had my mulch about a year now and they have not melted or changed in any way.They come in two colors-- red which I use and brown.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I don't think this kind of material would have to change visible to leach out chemicals. I do plant iris, etc. in some old tires filled with soil. Just watch them carefully to see how they are doing each year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.