Garden Angels

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

[A NOTE FROM DAVE: WE DO NOT NEED ANY MORE FUNDS RIGHT NOW!!!!]

Dave wrote:
"If people want to send me (Dave) cash for garden angels, that's fine - I would then just put it into an envelope and draw from it whenever a garden angel was needed. If people want to send it, they need to send it to my P.O. Box and CLEARLY MARK IT AS GARDEN ANGEL FUND."

Dave can you e-mail me your addy or tell me where to find it?

Send to:

StandardOut, Inc
P.O. Box 7661
Bryan, Texas 77801

All checks must be made out to "StandardOut, Inc.".

Also, please clearly note inside that this money is intended for the Garden Angel program!

Dave

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

OK Dave thanks a bunch..... :o)

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

What is the garden angel program?

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Paintedlady, this term goes back to when total access here at davesgarden went on a 'pay' basis. Not everyone was able to come up with the money for a subscription at that time, so some wonderful 'garden angels' among our members paid for someone else to enjoy a year here. You may donate a year or portion therof, and direct its use for a particular person, or for whomever needs a little help just then. Some people need the help one year, then go on to pay their own and anothers the following year. And so it goes on...

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

How is it decided who gets the benefit of the Angel Fund? How does a member even know about the Angel Fund to ask for assistance should the need ever arise?

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

I believe Trish has been in charge of that in the past. Sometimes the need arises, and this helps with the means to meet that need. Assistance might be requested, or offered.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This is also really important for some of our friends outside of the US. The conversion of monies breaks down to double and even triple what we would pay here.

Crossville, TN

Badseed is right...if not for the Angel Fund some of our best overseas friends could not afford the money exchange difference. Jo

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I didn't know that thanks for telling us...never thought about money exchange rate and what it would cost overseas subscribers....
Dee

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

If you wish to do a "gift subscription" for a specific member, you can always do that on your own - simply go to the subscription page, make sure you choose the CORRECT username you wish to bestow your kind gift upon, and pay for their subscription. Unless Dave has changed it, you can do it anonymously, or let them know you did it (kind of like paying for a magazine subscription for someone else.)

The garden angel "program" (I use the term loosely, because it's never been a tightly-regulated or heavily advertised process, is overseen by Trish and Dave. Members who want to give a few dollars to the fund, or who want to provide gift subscriptions to whoever needs help (without specifying who they wish to receive a subscription), can send in the money; Dave and Trish match it up with those who need the assistance. (Sometimes they hear through the grapevine about someone who can't afford to pay; other times, people have "made their case" to request help via correspondence with Dave and Trish.)

Pardancanda has a good memory: the process came about when Dave announced that the forums would be offered as a subscriber feature; Dave gave us advance warning, but some folks just weren't able to pay when the cutoff date came. Since the initial switch to subscriptions, I think the number of those needing assistance has steadily declined, and many who were "gifted" have paid it forward by helping someone else the next year.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

I just love this place!! I have to say that Dave's is one of the few warm feelings I get each day. The rest of life seems like such a battle --- thanks for providing a bright spot in this member's normally tedious day.

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Very well put langbr!!!!

So much stuff all day long day in and day out, but at the end of the day I know that I can sit and relax here with all my DG friend's!!!!!!

sue

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Yup, Ruby....this is one of the few things I do for myself. Even so, hubby and kids are always wanting to try and drag me away. They just don't get how much it means to me.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Bump,Bump, Bump...just bring this up so more can see it and learn its here....hopefully we can have more folks that participate in it......... :o)
Dee

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, it is good to keep this reminder up. Renewal time is upon us. Also many of us promised Ursula we'd donate $1 in return for her kind gift of seeds!!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

If we know someone that is in need, say a fellow member how do we let Dave know.. what is the process of how to do this??? :o)
Dee

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Email Dave,Terry or Trish directly.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

I've sent $2.00 in the mail to Dave's address today...

I challenge everyone to match and get it in the mail today
:-) This is such a wonderful cause!!!!

Luff you all Julieanne aka Annabellegabby

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I have already sent my money for Ursula, but the holidays are comeing and I see and oppertunity for a Fund raiser.I would be more than happy to meet your $2.00 challenge Julieanna. I will get it out this week....
Anymore takers????? :o)
Dee

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Sent my money for Ursula too, but now will also match the $2.00 challenge.......
Pam

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Come on everyone, let's all join in the efforts to help those who need our help. :-)

Match my $2.00 or if anyone wants to make a higher match...please feel free to do so.

Fund driver it is!!!!! It's ON!!!! Get it out today cos' ya just might make someone else's day ;'}

Thank you for matching WillowWasp and Moonlighting!!

Hey, if you guys want to make sure that they Garden Angel money you send is meant for a specific person, you need to indicate so when you send the money!.

If you don't indicate who it is for, then it goes into the general GA fund and will be drawn from whenever there is a need.

dave

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Dave you've got mail :-)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Is there an e-mail you use with PayPal for those who would like to donate that way, Dave?

No, I cannot accept PayPal directly in that way. Garden Angels can only send in via check, or they can subscribe someone else directly through the system.

If they subscribe someone through the system, then they can use PayPal or credit card.

dave

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks GardenWife :-)

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Annabelle, I already met your challenge Yesterday. I hope that we can help to keep the great friends we have here, to continue on in hard times.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Ty Jan :-) And we will...

Let's all keep the faith, and join in the effort to make this a great cause to help others. Thanks

I'm still challenging everyone to make or break my $2.00 donation for this wonderful cause. :-)

Julieanne aka ABG

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I'll see your $2 and raise you $2 more.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll see that one........gottcha covered golddog...I'm in for $4.50.. anyone gonna up it..... :o)
Dee

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

A few days ago I sent in $15.00. Does that count? {:^)

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I just put the stamp on the envelope.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

noooo

Helena, AL(Zone 7b)

WillowWasp, I'll see your $4.50 and raise you $2.00 I have been meaning to send something in , thanks for the reminder.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey NoH2O - yours does count....().....we just adding a little bit more to the pot!

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

I love this community!

I want you all to know what your contributions mean when money is scarce and/or home is somewhere else than USA.

I first found out about DG through GrannyLois. We had a trade at the other site and exchanged mails beyond the regular chit-chat since early 2000. At that time I was unemployed for 2 years and in a deep black hole (severe depression) and my very dear father had recently died. Although she had her own serious problems with her beloved husband's health, she cheered me up and invited me to join DG and so I did. Then the time came DG had grown so much that Dave had to charge a membership I was not able to pay for. When I told Dave I could not continue, immediately an anonimous member paid for my membership.

This was a little miracle in my life, because at that stage I was hardly interested in anything except for plants, flowers and the great chance to exchange seeds. The other site had dropped us "thirdwolders" without an explanation (at least in my case). Antonio, aka babalu, was informed by Spike that we thirdwolders are not reliable, because it was impossible to keep control over "some strange items" we included in our trades. Drugs? I don't know what he meant and never asked either.

After a few more un-happy events in my life, now being unemployed for 4 years (except for a few short term temporary jobs)and having been granted a second Garden Angel subscription, I finally was able to file for early retirement (I'm almost 53 and have a disability due to arthrosis diagnosed when I was only 20 years old) which I obtained in March 2003.

Because of my age (the only situation for which I am "too young") and for the 4 years of unemployment I registered, my pension is less than half of my last salary, which is not much. Luckily, when my membership for this year was due in September, my friend Mercedes who lives in Panama paid for my renewal.

I don't want to bore you all with the details of how important my "being a member of Daves Garden" helped me out of a long depression. Just want to tell you that although DG members never saw me sunk in despair, nor did anybody know that there were times (months) during which I had no electricity nor telephone, only cold water showers and ate nothing but plain bread and drank cold water, the Garden Angels gave me the chance to feel that I was one more in a community where no distinctions were made because one's income, garden size, my own size (LOL), my limited English and my not having my own computer until last July. In summary: being a member of this community made/makes me feel I am a fully valued person and, if I'm allowed to say so, I feel I am a winner because I beated depression. I am on no medication now and feel great.

Garden Angels can make a BIG DIFFERENCE in one's lives! If you can spare a little money, do it. There is no minimum contribution expected. You will never know how much good you are doing to somebody.

The Lord bless you all.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Ursula, thanks for sharing your experience with the Garden Angels. You sure enlightened me; hadn't thought about other DG'ers in this way. Memberships and magazine re-ups come due almost monthly. We constantly must decide which are important and which we want to pay for/can afford. I remember the time I was given Dave's site by a friend (evelyn_inthegarden). I looked things over (not very well) and decided not to pay the money for membership. I kept coming back (as a lurker) 'til this site made a lot more sense than the 'other' one. Now looking back, the annual membership has to be one of the best buys in relation to time spent here. I wish you good health and happiness.

PS Your English is excellent.

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Ursula - that was a powerful story and testimonial. I'm shocked that you were dropped from another site for what you COULD do - reality, we could all send drugs. My guess, the closest is poppy seeds.

Your generous offer of seeds in return for Angel donations was very wise. It heightened the awareness of many members and will hopefully make a difference to someone whose circumstances make membership a hardship - and we'll collectively be able to make membership a reality.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Well everyone, this is the reason, just one, that we need to pull together and join in the efforts to help our fellow friends and DGer's.

Thank you all for upping my challenge to match my $2.00. This is going to be a success!!!!! We CAN do this.

Come on everyone....match the highest donation. Dare ya lol...I believe we need to thank the ones who have donated. God bless you all!!!!!!! You too will be blessed in return!!!!!

Thanks, Julieanne aka ABG

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images