SOLVED: Blooms like snail vine (vigna caracalla) but smaller??

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

OK, got these seeds in spring, started them - all they said was this: blooms like snail vine but smaller.
OK my question, does anyone know what it may be called? They have leaves same shape and formation as the vigna, and these flowers are teeny about dime sized, but oh so pretty, however, there is no smell to them.
Please and thanks!
Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

another shot of flower

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

and just one more.
Thank you everyone
Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

bud

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

leaves

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Laurie, what you have is a Lathyrus species.....

This message was edited Sep 23, 2003 6:08 AM

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Moonlighting, ok, just what is that.......? I am new to viney things so any help appreciated. I am going to run a search on what you said to see if I can find out a little more.
Thanks soo much
Laurrie

I agree on Lathyrus (Sweet Pea vine). Take a look at some of the shots here and you might find your particular one: http://plantsdatabase.com/search.php?search_text=Lathyrus&Search.x=13&Search.y=7

Dave

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey there Lauurie - Dave is right, Lathyrus ssp. (species)is pea, i.e. sweet pea and others. I can't decide if yours is actually sweet pea - it could be a modern one, or if its an infamous cousin.....

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Dave & Moonlighting, thanks for the help here, I checked and cannot find my particular one in there. Mine is creamy white with mauve to lavenderish colors on it, very tiny, dime sized. I will keep looking!!! It is so cute.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I disagree on the lathyrus ID. I think it would more likely belong to the Bean family, Fabaceae.

Looks like a Phaseolus species to me.

I also disagree with Lathyrus, does the plant have any tendrils?

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

no tendrils noticed, more like the snail vine with the twining action, instead of tendrils.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

I definately agree with the it belonging to the Fabaceae family...as Lathyrus is part of this family (genus) as well as its other cousins - i.e. Phaseolus, vigna, etc. At this point I will agree that it resembles more Phaseolus than Lathyrus after looking at it.....in other words Laurrie, "scientifically" this is why it resembles the snail vine (Phaseolus) - but you will find that the snail vine is also called vigna....but that is another debate that I am not getting into....lol....just trying to ID your pretty little flower.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2003 1:12 PM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

There are other species of vigna besides caracalla (which I think it's not), and it's too white to match my... ahem... Phaseolus. The leaf shape doesn't match either. maybe it's just a common bean...

"When you hear hooves, don't think Zebras." -- A medical maxim

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

As there too can be different species of Phaseolus thus different colors too.....same goes as if you see vigna or Phaselous don't just think snail vine...()...

This message was edited Sep 23, 2003 10:13 PM

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I only referred to it as similar to snail vine because on the envelope when I got it it said: "? - Blooms like snail vine but smaller" and that was it, so when it actually started growing and very similar growth habits I might add, as the vigna caracalla, which I am growing from seed also. Seeds of the vigna are a little bigger, these seeds are smaller but do look similar.

I am only trying to id this vine, so if I do any trades of it, I can give someone a name instead of just what I got. I really like it, it is small, but cute.

I thank all of you for trying to help me here. I will keep digging and perhaps will find this one one day.
Thanks all
Laurrie

I'll keep my eye out for this one but will warn you that even the experts get confuzzled with Legume IDs.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

Cream-colored Vetchling(Lathyrus ochroleucus)

i cant seem to find a decent picture of this but it might be it. it also comes in a wild form with purple in it too. just guessing on this. imzadi

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't think so, imzadi.

Here's a good picture http://www.em.ca/garden/nat_lathyrus_ochroleucus.html

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I would have to agree with poppysue. The leaves are not the same either.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Nope, not it, am still looking, if and when I find it I will post here for sure. Thanks again for all you helpers here!!
Laurrie
ps - also wanted to say that original flower from 9-20 is still open and pretty as ever, so the flower stays open for quite a spell.

Has it produced any pods yet? The pod shape might help with at least a genus ID

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Finally I got a bloom - September ???

Thumbnail by haighr
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

yes, for sure, we have the wild purple Sweet Pea vine up here all over the place, particularly at the beachsides! E.

haighr: that's a definite corkscrew vine!

dave

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Can you believe it Dave, after all these years it finally bloomed in the pot inside!

Thumbnail by haighr

It is a surprise! I remember feeling sorry for you that it didn't look like it'd ever bloom. Big congrats to you!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks, on that last post, if you notice, my Copyright changed? Wonder what happened. I tried to post again and the same big copyright came over the pic. I checked my settings and that is not the one selected???

I must tell you, the plant still isn't huge and the vines are not very big about like string so I was equally amazed when I saw the buds. I was bringing it inside before the hurricane when I spotted them and they are opening now inside the house!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Your pic is too little Candee. :)

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

haighr - wonderful, congratulations, i am excited for you!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I see bad. Will try another.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

You are just too smart for your britches bad LOL!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

believe my plant finally has an id:

http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant_profile.cgi?symbol=STHE4

Laurrie

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4a)

Can you mark this as solved?
Sorry I thought it was solved.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2008 4:41 PM

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Laurrie's link no longer works, it is a Strophostyles
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Papilionaceae/Strophostyles/none/cultivar/0/

if I remember correctly, we thought it was S. umbellata.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.