-
AuthorContent
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
3:06 AM

Post #660042

has anyone ever produced Datura metel var. frastuosa, commonly know as Black Currant or Double Triple Purple Datura looking like the one in the photo? this is all new to me. yesterday, when i saw the bud, i thought it was an odd looking datura. take a close look at the color. it sure is different from all the years i've grown Black Currant Swirl.

Thumbnail by MaVieRose
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
3:08 AM

Post #660044

here is the face of the flower

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 25, 2003
3:08 AM

Post #660046

The color doesn't seem as intense as my black currant or as variegated.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
3:20 AM

Post #660062

most of the black currant swirl i have grown are deep purple in color. this one is so light in color.

last year, i was growing the purple datura right next to a white brug. i wonder if the bees polinated this one.

it is very odd cause it is the only one i am growing to have this strange coloring.

here is the regular black currant i grow for comparison purposes.

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2003
3:26 AM

Post #660070

I know nothing Ma Vie. You should email a pic to Tonny. Both are beautiful in their own right. Root might know.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
3:34 AM

Post #660078

i wonder if Root has experience this strange datura phenomenon???

thanks Kell :)! i was sort of hoping someone in this forum had something happen too. i will email the photo to Tonny, and see what he says. will keep u posted.
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2003
5:39 AM

Post #660162

I remember reading a thread not too long ago where Root posted a pic of his Black Curran Swirl, and he posted a pic of a bloom that was almost light purple & white variegated. Or even splotchy (is that a word?) Surely he'll happen upon this, he's a dat lover. I've been meaning to ask him how that bloom turned out anyway.

MaVie, the bloom is really pretty. I love the deep purple in the Black Currant, but your bloom is very nice. And a nice change!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
5:49 AM

Post #660167

Brinda... this is the 1st bloom on this plant. i hope there will be more ;). it sure is different from the other BCS i've grown. the face of the flower is pinkish whitish in color. one thing for sure, i would like to save some seeds from this odd one LOL!!! it maybe odd, but it sure is another beauty if i may add.
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2003
6:09 AM

Post #660171

I understand MaVie...which brings me to a question that I've wondered about...and even seen posted, but never answered. If you collect seed from 'that' pod, will the seeds when germinated have blooms like the pic you posted? LOL
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
7:39 AM

Post #660186

i believe they will if not pollinated by the bees with another different colored bloom from another plant. of course i am no expert, just using common sense here.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2003
10:42 AM

Post #660211

I will go check it after work today.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2003
12:37 PM

Post #660260

Neat MaVie! Maybe you should e-mail the photo to Tonny. That one is really light colored!
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
2:24 PM

Post #660461

Hi MVR, I had made a note to myself to remind you when the pods mature and you would send me Datura Metele, alba and purple. Hope that is still a plan, they are just beautiful. If so, lmk and I'll send you SASE. Linda
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
3:43 PM

Post #660600

Bob will be looking forward to ur observation in ur yard.

Sue, i have ;).

Linda, i have done a list of everyone requesting for seeds in Excell in my pc so i will not forget. when the seeds are ready, i will email everyone and let them know. there should not be any problem :).
minigrannie
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2003
3:59 PM

Post #660625

MaVie, both of them are beautiful. I love the lighter one especially. I guess just because it is different.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
4:26 PM

Post #660637

i know Sylvia. gardeners are always fascinated by something 'new', it always is a must have LOL!!! if i will have more seeds on these, i hope to be able to share too ;)!!! as of now, apart from the 1st flower blooming on the 1st photo above there are 3 new buds forming. i will take photo of the new blooms to keep record and for comparison purposes.
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
4:33 PM

Post #660642

Great, I'll be looking for the post. I will be out of town Oct 4-11 so if you post then and I don't get right back, it's not because I'm not interested.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
5:35 PM

Post #660682

do not worry Linda, i will be sending individual email out when the seed pods get ripe. u won't miss anything LOL! enjoy ur trip :)!

although i live in the desert, it would seem my plants are far behind compared to everyone on DG. my veggies are just beginning to ripen. other flowering plants like the brugs and datura are just now beginning to form buds and pods. i guess the long dry hot weather and now cooling off night temperature give the plants a late head start.
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2003
6:16 PM

Post #660714

Thanks

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2003
12:49 AM

Post #661004

MaVie,here is one for you.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2003
12:52 AM

Post #661007

Here is one for Kell,talk about anticipation,this is Susies Cg x EP I have been waiting for this one.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2003
1:59 AM

Post #661106

This one is for Kell and XVmercy.

There is a Lilac somewhere under this MG(weed)

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2003
2:00 AM

Post #661107

Closer for you Tracy.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2003
2:50 AM

Post #661153

Bob, the one u post on 9/25 8:49 p.m., seemed to be a lighter shade of Black Currant Swirl. the one i have on the 1st photo is much, much lighter shade... almost like light lavender pinkish blend. compared to the regular BCS, the flower does not last long, only overnight like a brug.

if my suspicion is correct, i bet the bees must have pollinated it with Eric White Brug i grew next to it last year. keeping my fingers cross the flower will form a seed, i have to watch that one real close :). and also observe how the other buds will look like when they open. thanks Buddy :)!!!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2003
3:20 AM

Post #661196

MVR,I have a few in the yard doing different things,I am looking for pods,the one that only was open for a day,is this one,different plant from pic above.
http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=623795
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2003
3:39 AM

Post #661211

LOL Bob, this year is really weird. this is the 1st time i encounter datura producing different strain. will keep u posted on the development on my end. will post photo if i find more ;).

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2003
3:55 AM

Post #661216

Thanks Root for those pics. I just love the color combo you have going in that first one! I love crowded plantings with lots of blooms going on. And your MG is so big, not to mention your passionflower! So sad that the cold is descending upon your little heaven you have made. Will you over winter your passionflowers?
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2003
3:54 AM

Post #662261

Root, your pictures are great. The one with all the buds is amazing. The canna in the photo with it looks similiar to my Phaison canna. Is the passionvine in the ground or in a pot. I moved two of mine in pots into the GH a few days ago when i though the temp. was going to cold, but didn't. Temp. yesterday and today 85 degrees and only down mid 50s at night. Donna

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2003
3:13 AM

Post #667507

Here is one for you MaVie!

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2003
3:13 AM

Post #667509

One more.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
3:23 AM

Post #667518

i also got 2 for u... here is the odd lilac above. guess what? it is so fragrant, has some citrus and baby powder scent to it. moths and bees must have crossed this one with the Eric White brug i had last year.

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
3:27 AM

Post #667525

here is another one that took me by surprise this morning.

Hey Kell, u want a datura with specks, u got one LOL!!!

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2003
3:28 AM

Post #667526

You are too sweet to me.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2003
3:34 AM

Post #667533

NOOOOOOOO Root, she offered me that special datura! Not you! LOL

It is a beauty Ma Vie.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
3:35 AM

Post #667535

hey Bob, u better tag that purple dat next to the yellow brug, the seed might produce a new strain of datura. maybe a new color datura like the lilac one. something to think about

Lilac datura closeup

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
3:38 AM

Post #667540

side view of the odd purple datura. very fragrant too!!!

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
3:45 AM

Post #667545

here is the close up of the odd purple one. u two are something else LOL! love u both to pieces... {{{Kell & Bob}}}

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
3:52 AM

Post #667554

check this Black currant swirl. i have 3 bushes full like this one.

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003

Post #667557

here is the Alba white datura.

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2003
4:04 AM

Post #667570

Your Alba sure looks better then mine!

Here is a baby I keep stepping over.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2003
4:07 AM

Post #667577

your pics are fantastic! The purple striped one is too die for. I hope the ones you sent me get some flowers Ma Vie.

Yours are so green and healthy. Just stunning.

Are you guys worried about viruses from them to your brugs?

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2003
4:14 AM

Post #667596

I might get Disneyed for saying that is a rumor,LOL!

To be honest,I never had heard of that before coming here,I have done B&Ds for 5 yrs.guess I just got lucky.

Seriously Tho,LOL!I'm no expert,so do not go by me!

Just Lucky.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
4:26 AM

Post #667615

Bob... what is that plant on the left of that datura. we have a flower like that in the P.I. i only know of the local dialect name, not the English or latin name. does it produce seeds? how do u propagate it? Bob, don't forget to tag that purple dat next to the yellow brug, just in case.

Kell... ur daturas should be in bloom pretty soon. am beginning to sound like a broken record, i always alternate watering them with water, hydrogen peroxide/alcohol and dish soap. am not at all concerned about virus. all my plants i think is squeeky clean LOL!!!!

my only concern is the datura's seemed to be crossing with the brugs. the lilac one above has the same scent of Eric white brug as i recall it.

here is the other Black currant swirl bush, growing next to Isabella.

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2003
4:30 AM

Post #667618

Your plants are wonderful Ma Vie.

If you get a brug x datura... you will be famous!!! just make sure you get a purple one!! LOL
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
4:45 AM

Post #667628

the closest one would be the lilac dat. on the 2nd day, it has the habit of brug bloom, it hangs down. i'll take a photo.brb
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
5:00 AM

Post #667640

here u go Kell ;). just took this a few minutes ago. don't it have the habit of a brug too LOL! that is what u call an imitation brug LOL!!!

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2003
5:14 AM

Post #667648

If that were a true purple brug, you suddenly would have so many new best friends!!! LOL
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
5:43 AM

Post #667663

in time Kell! in due time!!!! one never knows. the lilac sure comes close to purple, almost in the same hue chart ;) too sad it is lilac and not deep purple.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2003
5:59 AM

Post #667671

I think we all would take either Ma Vie! LOL. Just get it in the ball park, doesn't have to be on home base.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
6:35 AM

Post #667677

one consolation about growing this "imitation brug' is:
less hassle to grow. is not bug infested. does not need lots of attention. they are practically on their own. does not require too much or expensive fertilizer.

i guess i need to learn how to polinate, and learn to create my own datura/brug hybrid...LOL!!!
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
1:13 PM

Post #667826

MVR, will you be sharing your seeds (from the one that hangs down?) I love that. I agree, less maintenance and don't have to over-winter inside. I would love to grow some of those next year. Tell me more about your peroxide/alcahol/dish det treatment.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2003
3:13 PM

Post #667935

Linda... if i get as many seed on the lilac datura, sure i will share with those who want them.

every other day, i water the plants alternately with hydrogen peroxide or alcohol. to each gal. of water, add 1 tbsp. hydrogen peroxide, 1 tbsp. lemon scented dishwashing liquid.
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2003
8:19 PM

Post #669134

Please put my name on some of them and let me know where to send SASE. Thanks so much, they are just beautiful and I would love to grow some of them.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2003
12:31 AM

Post #669371

All the datura picture are just great. I love that lavender one. Oh heck, I love them all.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

October 4, 2003
1:01 AM

Post #669404

Thanks for your watering recipe MaVie...my gardening
binder is growing by leaps and bounds :D
Ponditis
Lincoln City, OR
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2003
8:05 AM

Post #669836

I would love some seeds from this lilac colored plant, MaVie. It sure is a beauty!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2003
2:12 PM

Post #671138

MaVie,I almost stepped on these guys!Forgot I had planted them,too cute,don't think I will get seeds this time,LOL!

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2003
2:58 PM

Post #671163

Root...how very cute! What dat is that? They just look so sweeeeet!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2003
3:19 PM

Post #671172

Not sure,I thought Tatula,Maybe MaVie will be along to ID.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2003
3:24 PM

Post #671176

Bob those are D. stramonium var. tatula. they are the smallest datura there is in existence.

Brugie, Ihudges, Lilypon, Ponditis, and others who had reguested for the odd lilac, i already made notes ane will send seeds when they mature.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2003
4:17 PM

Post #671219

As Always your there with the answer!Thanks Ma!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2003
6:13 PM

Post #671329

always a pleasure to give a helping hand :).

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

October 5, 2003
6:58 PM

Post #671362

Thanks MaVie...I will be happy to make room for any of
your Dat seeds! :)) Do you have seeds from your yellow
as well? Don't ask for much...do I? ;)
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2003
1:49 AM

Post #671669

Thanks MaVie. You are so sweet. I will do my best with the seeds and send postage to you.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2003
2:58 AM

Post #671754

MaVie,
I finally found the post where you spoke of using soap and peroxide every other watering. Would you please tell me what the measurements are for this solution...?
Thank You (again),
shirley >^,,^< SB
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2003
5:10 AM

Post #671862

Pam, i will be sending everyone a packet each of all the datura i am growing. so there is no worry there. i think i will have plenty to share for everyone.

thanks Shirley, will keep u posted when the seeds ripen. do not be surprise, my area is always the last in growing, blooming and seed maturing.

SB, for each gal. of water, add 1 tbsp. hydrogen peroxide and 1 tbsp. lemon scented diswashing soap. if u wish, u can alternate hydrogen peroxide with alcohol. that way the bugs do not get accustomed to hydrogen peroxide.

edited to correct errors.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2003 3:44 AM
Ponditis
Lincoln City, OR
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2003
6:27 AM

Post #671904

MaVie, you have made me feel like I have hit the jackpot. I am going to love growing these plants next year!

Thank you, Lani
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2003
7:47 AM

Post #671922

Lani, almost all the datura i grow are very fragrant. i am sure u will 'feel' my presence and enjoy the fragrance once they begin blooming for u. enjoy my friend :).
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2003
10:59 AM

Post #671952

MVR all the photos you has so beautiful look so healthy so all my Datura did not make it... so I am looking for cutting some Datura if anyone has some will like to pay the postage.
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2003
1:30 PM

Post #672129

Ma Vie: They are all beautiful, can't hardly wait to grow them next year.
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 6, 2003
3:18 PM

Post #672209

What exactly does the hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, dish soap concoction do? Kill nasty eggs, actual critters? Is it effective against aphids? Do you do this on your outside plants, inside plants or both?

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2003
4:59 PM

Post #672262

MaVia and Root, I noticed on the the striped and pale lavender, Double Purple Swirl, the seed pods on the one in Roots photo are spiked. MaVia are the seed pods on yours spiked to. I looked at mine and they have a bumpy texture and no spikes...Since the one on Roots are spikey do you think this could indicate there is a cross?
This is a photo of the seed pod on mine...
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2003
5:04 PM

Post #672267

And this is the flower on the same bush...
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2003
5:20 PM

Post #672276

RR, i do not know about taking cuttings on datura, and plant them, as i have not done it myself. datura from what i understand is an annual plant, except for the datura inoxia. D. inoxia dies back and come back from the root zone when the temperature gets warmer. most of the datura i grow, i have to plant seeds each year.

i have seeds that are now getting to the stage of being ripe. if u want some seeds, say so as i do not read people's mind. i will be more than willing to share with u or anybody else as long as my supplies last. i also need to honor promises i kept from last year.

Debby, am sure u will have fun planting them next year and enjoy their fragrant blossoms.

Jagonjune, i am not a chemist so i would not know how to explain that one to u. all i know and can share w/U are based from personal experiences and testing i do on my plants. i have read online the HP prevents fungus from growing on the plant or seeds.

yes, i used both HP and alcohol inside and outside the house. from personal observation on plants i grow, i see the plants all perk up and very much alive after each watering. i do not see any bugs on my plants, except for caterpillars occassionally and i pick them off the plant.

as for aphids, i do not have aphids on my plant either. winds are constantly blowing here in the desert and sun is always shining.

on watering indoor plants: after every watering i do, i turn on the electric fan to allow the leaves on the plants to dry.

using both HP and alcohol, i do not have any spider mites problem either. that is the best explanation i can give u.
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 6, 2003
5:28 PM

Post #672289

Thanks so much MaVie; I will try your recipe. I keep a fan on low pointed away from the plants all the time the light is on. That way they can pretend there is a nice gentle breeze blowing all day. I think it is close to the time when I should have shallow trays with stones and water around them to boost the humidity. We have such dry air indoors in the winter (actually the humidity is pretty low most of the time indoors and out).
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 6, 2003
5:40 PM

Post #672300

According to my reference book on brugs and dats there are types which have what they describe as bald fruit. They are called d. ceratocaulo
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2003
5:52 PM

Post #672308

I also spray the foliage and dirt with a mixture of 1 teaspoon of palmolive liquid dish soap[any dish soap would work, I guess] to 1 quart of water. Put in a spray bottle and spray on plant and dirt. Zapps those APHIDS in their tracks. Plus spraying in the soil kills the eggs and any larvae. Also great for the gnats and whitefly.
Ma Vie I am going to try your recipe too.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

October 6, 2003
5:56 PM

Post #672312

Thank you MaVie!! :)) I will pass this kindness forward!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2003
6:18 PM

Post #672329

JJ... try adding some horticultural charcoal on the container where u put stones to increase humidity. the charcoal will filter the water and prevent mold from forming or building up. H. charcoal when mix in plant mix, will 'sweeten' the soil for the plants, which the plants love and appreciate.

in the orient, when we plant any plants, we always add charcoal. accdg to my grandma, makes the plant happy. from my personal point of view, i believe charcoal balances the soil mixture and prevent salt from the fertilizer from building up.

if horticultural charcoal is not available, use any wood charcoal, but not the kind used for barbecuing. in other words, not the brisket charcoal.

well, i hope my tests and experiments work for everyone. i do these testing on my own cuz of the so much different growing condition i deal with.

always remember: do the best u can to meet the requirement/s ur plants need in ur area. i always give this warning cuz what work for me, may not be applicable to u. i just want to share good results i attained from my experiments.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2003
12:31 AM

Post #672702

sorry Dee, i did not see ur post on this thread until now. as far as i know Datura metel seeds are looking like it has bumps on them, instead of 'spikey'. http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_image.php?image=datura/datura_metel_pod2.jpg whereas datura inoxia has spikes on the seed pods http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_image.php?image=datura/datura_inoxia_pod1.jpg

Datura metel varieties consist of the double or triple bloom. the white datura is known as D. metel alba, the yellow is D. metel Aurea commonly called as Hindu datura. other sites calls the yellow D. metel cv 'Golden Queen'. the purple ones are called D. metel var Fastuosa, commonly called as Black currant Swirl or Cornocuppa or Cornocopia.

i know it tend to be confusing. different sites has their own interpretations, and name they call it. to add more to our confusion LOL ... there is the Datura stramonium whose seed is also spiky, the blooms are single and small. http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_image.php?image=datura/datura_stramonium_thorn2.jpg here is the photo of the bloom of D. stramonium, commonly known as thorn apple http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_image.php?image=datura/datura_stramonium_thorn2.jpg

i wish there is a datura expert that can clarify this issue once and for all. i am like the rest of u, new to growing datura plants although i have been growing them for more than 3 yrs. one thing for sure, i try my best to research them online.

there is enough confusion out there. i do not intend to add more to it.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2003
2:59 AM

Post #675090

I got a double yellow to bloom!,no hope of seeds,but I sure do thank you Brugie!!I really wanted to see one this year!

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2003
3:39 AM

Post #675132

WillowWasp, you beat me to the same question & thoughts! I had both the black currant swirl and another datura that produced single lavender color blooms. Those blooms seem a bit lighter shade than the first picture you posted, MaVieRose.

And, to go with what WillowWasp was saying, my Black Currant Swirl have the bumpy seed pods now and the other (the single lavender) has the spikey seed pods. I just went out to take these pictures to show you the comparison. WillowWasp's pix of the Black Currant seed pod is much better!

When you look at Roots seed pod, it does look like he might have a cross of the varieties because it certainly is different that these two!

Thumbnail by Morph

Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2003
3:44 AM

Post #675137

And Root, does your D. stramonium var. tatula have seed pods like this? I think I may have something similar, but I'm not sure since I didn't take a photo when it was in bloom. Here, there is another plant behind it that makes it harder to see the datura. The leaves look similar though...

Thumbnail by Morph

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2003
3:49 AM

Post #675143

Morph,if those are Dat pods,I have never seen anything like that!
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2003

Post #675148

LOL, okay, maybe it wasn't this one then. BUT, do look at the leaves, okay? They seem like they have that datura/brug look...

Thumbnail by Morph

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2003
3:59 AM

Post #675151

I will look for the pod tomorrow,it is raining!(Thank you Lord!)

Did see this one opening.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2003
4:07 AM

Post #675156

Very pretty! And, this is which variety? Any that I had that were pink first opened as white/yellow! Ah, what fun! Just can't wait for next year. We had frost that killed 98% of my stuff. The pictures I took of whatever that plant with the pea sized pods was close to the house so it didn't get a full frost yet...

Do ya think you'll have any of those pretty blue dat seeds? I don't recall their name, but they were almost like a royal blue! I'd love to try those here...

So, no frost for you yet? I'll keep my fingers crossed that your season lasts into late November ☺
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2003
4:22 AM

Post #675170

Bob, not to worry. i believe i have plenty for everyone. the seeds are really huge this year. i am totally surprise. some are half ripe already. the nights are cooler now - in the mid to upper 60ish. the daytime, still in the upper 80's to lower 90's. i know i still have plenty of time to have those seed get ripe ;).

Morp, from personal observation, datura metel seed pods that are lighter in color are: the double/triple yellow, white double/triple. seedpods are suspended in the air like facing upward. also the single datura metel has lighter seed pods that are hanging down.

here is datura stramonium var tatula bud and seedpod http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_image.php?image=datura/datura_stramonium_stem1.jpg.

hard to see the photo of the datura seed u got on the 10/08, 11:44 p.m. posting. i can only determine the plant in front. i believe those are Thai eggplants?

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 9, 2003
4:23 AM

Post #675171

Isabella Root? looks pretty!

Ma Vie, are you going for a record on this thread? LOL

I love that people are posting alot about datura now. I am learning all about them.
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2003
4:37 AM

Post #675185

Me, too, Kell!!! And, MaVie always seems to be able to clarify things along with Root & others ~ thanks to you both ☺

MaVieRose, I'll take a better pix tomorrow. I was/am so tired, but was so interested in this thread! Maybe you can start part 2 so we can keep chatting and it won't take as long to load?

Thai eggplants, eh? Let me repost again in the morning to make sure, okay? How the heck would I have ever gotten those I'm sure I don't know!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2003
4:37 AM

Post #675187

just trying to help Kell. trying so hard to keep a low profile, but questions keep pouring in. i do not need recognition, simply trying to share basic knowledge learned from growing datura.

#'s donot mean anything. what matters is to learn from one another, based on personal experiences. true there are lots of info online, the question is... how reliable are those info.? i have seen lots of conflicting opinions and information out there. we need to interact with one another to nail down the true and basic facts of growing daturas.

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2003
9:07 AM

Post #675290

I think right now this is the most intresting Plant we are growing. So much to learn about it and so much to do with it yet.

I personally think that Root and MaVia just may have a cross. I'm betting that the Black Purple Swirl crossed with the White Datura. Just hope yall can keep the seeds true and we will see next year what those blooms look like...this is really gonna be intresting... :o)
Dee

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2003
10:47 AM

Post #675300

I lost the tag on this Brug,I am pretty sure it is Isabella,and came from Brugie!Thx,Shirley!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2003
1:20 PM

Post #675446

Dee, this is the reason why i brought this 'different' or "odd lilac datura" to everyone's attention! i need other's input on their own findings/observations. also want to know if others have this new strain of datura growing in their yard.

often times in haste, i myself do tend to overlook stuff. please scroll up on the 1st thread i posted, and the posting on 10/02/03, 12:26 a.m. where i explained that i believe this is a cross with a white brug. interesting enough, the fragrance also carries the scent of the white brug and part of the scent of Black Currant Swirl.

at present this odd and different lilac datura has 2 seed pods developing. several new buds are on the stage of opening. am sure there will be plenty to go around. otherwise, i simply have to appropriately proportion the seeds so each one will have opportunity to grow this odd datura ;).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob, yes i too believe u got Isabella brugs there.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2003
5:02 PM

Post #675630

Not Isabella from me. I didn't hold her over from last year. Maybe one of the Rosamond X Butterfly seedlings that shows suav. influence? I just don't recognize this one.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2003
11:05 PM

Post #675972

It should be more open tonight,will see what it looks like.I am wondering if this might be one of Brunos seeds?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 9, 2003
11:20 PM

Post #675991

Hi, I noticed that you live in Hesperia. I live in Moreno Valley, about 5 miles before reaching Perris Lake (near Moreno Valley Beach Drive). It is a desert area here also, we may be in the same Zone.. I have a terrible time growing daturas and your explanation above answers my questions regarding this.. I finally got 2 small seedlings to about three inches tall this year, but that is it. Now that the temps are cooling the other plants (vines and brugs) are finally doing something.. After seeing your photos.. I will not give up.. and will also try your recipe above.. Can I use that on Brugs also? Antoinette

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2003
11:39 PM

Post #676001

Sure looks like Isabella!what do I need to do to get some of this pollen?cut the little stamins?

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2003
1:51 AM

Post #676156

Grab them with long tweezers and pull or you can tear the plant open and get them easy. Whatever works for you. Try not to bump the bloom very hard or you will lose a lot of the pollen if it is fluffy. After I opened the picture up, I don't really see anthers with pollen on them. I'm tired tonight and maybe that is why I can't see.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2003 9:53 PM

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2003
8:25 AM

Post #677290

Root, are you pollinating?

look here.
http://calastropicals.com/content/page2.html
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2003
7:00 PM

Post #677655

There's lots of good information on that site.
IMCANADIAN
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3a)

March 28, 2005
8:19 AM

Post #1367714

MVR, Did the seedlings from this plant produce a lavander double Datura? Joelle
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2005
4:13 PM

Post #1368425

Joelle, i do not know which one u are referring to? apart from that, all the metels do produce the same plant from seeds, base on previous experiences.
IMCANADIAN
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3a)

March 28, 2005
8:17 PM

Post #1368953

Sorry, I was talking about the plant in the picture at the first post of this thread. The light lavander one. Thanks Joelle
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2005
8:43 PM

Post #1369008

yes they do! i did not plant any last year, but will be planting some this year. that is an un-named datura that was produced in my yard... but it still belongs to Datura Metel species. Black Currant Swirl was polinated by a moth, crossed i believed by Eric's White brug in 2002. i labeled the ones i gave away Datura Metel "Lilac Double". for future reference, i will call this Datura Metel "Mei-mei". it means little beautiful flower.

most of the seeds i had was been given away in 2003. so far i have not heard how the seeds performed from people i shared them with. i only have a few to plant this season.
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2005
11:59 PM

Post #1369439

MaVie: I planted your seeds last year.
Wouldn't you know it, it was not a good growing year here in Iowa for Daturas.
Our summer was too cool and not humid enough for good blooms.
Please don't take offence, it just wasn't your seeds. My plants from my seeds faired the same. Hopefully, this summer will be a great Datura Season.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2005
12:13 AM

Post #1369484

no problem Debby. i purposely did not plant any datura last year due to heavy infestation of cucumber beetles. in the past, i have always planted brugs and daturas in the same area... only to find most of the blooms and leaves of both plants were heavily damaged. since i did not plant any daturas last year, the brugs fared very well.

this season, i will plant datura far away from the rest of the plants i grow. maybe behind the big red barn. am keeping my fingers crossed that the cuke beetles are not too wise to find the other plants LOL.

one thing for sure, i agree with u, this year will be a good growing season. Calif. poppies that are growing wild in my yard every year has done so great this year. normally the poppies will only be 10" above the ground, with bloom size to be 3" across the previous years. this year the poppies are 2-3 feet tall and blooms the size of my palm, about 5-7 inches across. i guess all the rains and snow helped a lot.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2005
12:18 AM

Post #1369493

forgot to add Debby, this datura "Lilac Double" has a nice citrusy scent to it. the bloom has nice flare to it. i hope those lucky enough to have the seeds will love it too as it is rare and one of it's kind. it does not grow tall either. nice compact plant that is prolific in blooms. very nice light lilac coloring to it.
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2005
12:22 AM

Post #1369497

MaVie: Wow, your poppies will be a sight to see.
You should have a great growing season.
We are 10 inches below normal rainfall. Hope we can catch up soon with the spring rains.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2005
12:26 AM

Post #1369507

i will try to take some photos of the poppies Debbie. would u believe, i am in alleged sunny Calif. but todate the daytime temps is only in the upper 40ish, night time in lower 30's or upper 20's. too cold, and too much strong cold winds from the mountains. surrounding mountains are heavily capped with thick snow.
IMCANADIAN
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2005
1:57 AM

Post #1369708

Thanks MVR! Hello folks, how did your plants make out? Joelle
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2005
12:30 PM

Post #1370320

I have Dat. seeds ready to plant, as long as the weather does not get to the freezing point how cold can it get and still be safe.
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2005
4:33 AM

Post #1372143

Kareoke: Are you planting them outside, if you are, you have to wait for the ground to warm up. It is usually safe to plant them outside when your frostfree date is.
If your starting them inside you can plant them now.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2005
11:45 PM

Post #1378074

MaVie , Here are the first Datura I have ever grown.

Grown in 2004 they are from seeds you gave me last year.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2005
11:48 PM

Post #1378077

Some more

I love the shape of this one

Thumbnail by scooterbug

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2005
11:50 PM

Post #1378081

Last one.

I tell ya MaVie ... I can hardly wait to grow more this year.

Thanks for sharing the seeds with me.

*/;-)

Thumbnail by scooterbug

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2005
11:59 PM

Post #1378108

Scooterbug,

How beautiful!! Will you tell us more.

Did you grow them in a pot or in the ground?

What did you feed them?

Thanks so much for taking the time to share these pictures with us.

Judy
JosieP
Port Hope, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2005
2:35 PM

Post #1455821

Here's a pic from last year. I had grown seeds that were suppose to be Var Ruba Reddish Cream. I can't remember if these 2 following pics were growing on the same plant or not. Just found this one to be unusual looking. ~Josie

Thumbnail by JosieP

JosieP
Port Hope, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2005
2:37 PM

Post #1455823

This the the 2nd pic. It is a pretty bloom. ~Josie

Thumbnail by JosieP

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2005
3:21 PM

Post #1455874

Judy, sorry , I just saw your post.

I grow all my dats & brugs in the ground.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2005
4:44 PM

Post #1456047

so glad they are growing great for u scoot. any photo from the lilac brug [seeds from D. metel x brug 'eric white'????
-----------------------------------
those are lovely and very different Josie. am sure u are referring to Datura Rubra [another variation from Datura metel] aren't u??? do u have some seeds to spare?
-----------------------------------
Judy,,, u do not feed the daturas. they grow and bloom in the wild. they pretty much sustain themselves on their own. what is amazing is they are repeat bloomers almost all year round, except during the cold winter months.
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2005
4:44 PM

Post #1456048

Wow, I can't believe all the beautiful dats!!

MaVie do you have anymore of your datura "Lilac Double" seeds to trade?

Josie, oooooooh I luv, luv your Var Ruba Reddish Cream!!!! Do you have any extra seeds to trade??? Please?

:) Donna
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2005
4:50 PM

Post #1456060

JosieP unusual and beautiful!!!

Judy
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2005
4:55 PM

Post #1456067

Donna, unfortunately, i have not planted any datura last year due to heavy infestation of cucumber beetles. hopefull to some i have shared them with... will be kind enough to share them along. so sorry, u know if i got them, i would be more than glad to share.

when i planted them in 2003, it was planted late. i had only 1 or 2 seed pod. the seedpod was not too generous as it was harvested during the cold winter month. i wanted then to be sure the seed pod was matured enough prior to harvesting.
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2005
4:57 PM

Post #1456074

Thanks, MaVie. I'm sure someone who has extra will be nice! I'm really hoping that Josie has some seeds to spare to...lol.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2005
5:12 PM

Post #1456096

Donna... believe it or not, most of the datura i have planted came from Ontario, Canada from a very dear friend... 5-6 yrs ago.

if u happen to be lucky to grow some or any kind of datura, be sure to take note of seed pods u harvest. there is no way of telling what kind of plant the seeds will produced. datura's are very attractive to bees that is why there is no way of telling what plant the seed will produced. [be aware of the surrounding flowers in the area where u plant the datura. try to make a map of all the plants in that area. that way next growing season, u will not what plant influenced ur datura if they appear different or weird to ur taste.] just a friendly reminder, just in case u get a "new" datura hybrid. the map will give u a clue to the mystery of ur new hybrid datura. this applies to every datura grower, that is... if u have not taken note of what u have on hand.

i know for sure, each year i plant the datura, they are not the same as the ones from the way i planted them originally. good example are the double lilac and speckled datura i had grown.
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2005
5:18 PM

Post #1456104

Thanks for the info, MaVie. I never realized that before. I've seen the speckled daturas and thought those were neat to.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2005
7:39 PM

Post #1456305

u're very welcome Donna. those speckled datura are a sight to see... specially with those unique marbling on the petals. no two blooms will ever be alike. each bloom is unique in its own way.

i also like the double lilac that was crossed with a brug. lovely scent almost like baby powder scent accented with citrus scent... i liked also the shade of purple it carried. the flower petals were too heavy for the small plant that it was... which is why the flower is almost droopy in appearance. if can grow more of the lilac datura crossed with brug, i prefer that than growing regular brugs cuz they are not as demanding as normal brug when it come to caring for them.
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2005
10:52 PM

Post #1456534

You grew dat seeds that were crossed with a brug? Is that ever cool or what! Do you have any of those seeds or the speckled one?
JosieP
Port Hope, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2005
1:28 AM

Post #1456755

Hi everyone, and thank you for your kind comments. I'm sorry to say that I wasn't able to get any seeds. I started the germination too late so the frost killed the plant before the seed pods were ripe. I felt sad that I couldn't even get any seeds for myself :( I'm glad I took the time to get a picture while in bloom. So now I just drowl over it wishing I had gotten some seeds lol.
If it's any help to you...I purchased the seeds on ebay. I don't remember the sellers name, only know it was in the US.
~Josie
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

May 9, 2005
1:47 AM

Post #1456861

I already checked but nothing yet.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 29, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #5335532

Bump...
Lucky me - I bought some Datura Inoxia last year, saved the pods & spread some seeds (and threw a pod down for Mom Nature to look after). Don't know which worked, but obviously One of the methods worked, cuz I got 40 seedlings which sprouted up. Very happy camper!!

The Inoxia are beautiful! They're white, and I'd never grown them before last year, so Really Happy that they grew! As mature plants, they're about 3 1/2 ft tall, and very prolific bloomers! I had neighbours of mine asking me to plant them again this year :-) Unfortunately I could only find the Metel variety, and they're a much smaller plant.

Anyone in Calgary want one? I don't think these tender seedlings would make a trip through Canada Post.

-Susan-

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 29, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5335542

Here's a mature plant

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5346595

Mavie, someone woke up your thread, wow, from 2003! Clemen
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #5346923

so i see Clemen. Donna, am sorry, i gave all my seeds away that same year, i don't have anything left. the sad thing is... no one kept me up todate: i don't know if any of those people i shared with had any luck.

since 2003, i had been practically living in hospitals. now i am better TG.

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5346970

Ma vie, seeds your way in the fall and plenty from Donna and me! Clemen

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 31, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5346971

yes, TG, MaVie

Silly me - rather new to growing Dats, and I just kinda skated into here without properly introducing myself, or saying things I meant to:

I have some Dat seeds (Inoxia) if anyone would like - several pods worth, in fact.

-Susan-
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2008
4:40 AM

Post #5347221

thanks Ladies ... i do not need a lot, only a few metels. let me know when u are ready,i will send self address envelop and postage.

Susan that is the reason why forums and thread are created ... to inquire and share knowledge.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM
Anyone grow variegated daturas from seed? chrisaggie 10 Nov 15, 2007 4:56 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America