Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mums and Asters: Mum's the Word...

Communities > Forums > Mums and Asters
bookmark
Forum: Mums and AstersReplies: 18, Views: 606
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SILLYLILY
MERCER, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2003
1:39 AM

Post #663046

After a very wet and sunless summer in NWestern Pa, the glorious array of mum colors is a most welcome site. Here are some of the 1,600 mums that we grew this year.

Thumbnail by SILLYLILY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2003
2:03 AM

Post #663064

What a lovely sight it must be. Mums are such a welcome colourful plant in fall, when other things start to fade.
So have you sold most of them?
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2003
2:07 AM

Post #663071

So Beautiful!
JoanMN
Pine City, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 28, 2003
12:58 PM

Post #663369

Aren't those gorgeous! It's so amazing how many colors there are.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2003
1:05 PM

Post #663373

Amazing shot!!!So healthy looking!
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2003
6:25 PM

Post #663565

Gorgeous Fall colors to remind us of the changing of the seasons!
SILLYLILY
MERCER, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2003
1:24 PM

Post #664314

Starzz...not all are sold! They are just coming into full bloom this week. We do not force their bloom period. This weekend, we sold about 400.
:O)
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks. They are very healthy and beautiful despite our less than ideal growing season. It is a joy to walk outside and just stare at them. It does one's soul good.

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2003
12:05 AM

Post #664912

Sillylily..I've always wondered why the Mums we buy in the fall don't come back..but the ones we buy in spring will come back year after year. Can you shed any light on this?
Thanks Carol
SILLYLILY
MERCER, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2003
12:43 AM

Post #664972

Carol, all the mums used to be sold as "Hardy" mums. Now you will see these same mums listed as "Garden" mums. That's because so many fail to winter over. Indeed, mums are perennials, but they are quite tender. Your best bet for winter survival is to plant mums in the late spring or early summer in a well drained sunny area. Don't plant too deep. The mums root system will be established before winter sets in. Buy baby mums from a garden center in June or July and you will have a good chance of winter survival. Also, mulch with 6" of straw after the ground freezes in the fall. Remove the mulch in early spring. Good Luck !
:o)

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2003
11:57 AM

Post #665403

Thanks for the info Sillylily..
twilightblue
Waterbury, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #5188349

I need some assistance with my Mums and Aster plants. I planted some last fall, and had 3 of 4 grow back, one grew in very VERY spindly, with only three or 4 branches, the other two grew back with many branches but it looked like stalks shooting straight up, tall and very unattractive, not the rounded plant I remembered from last fall. How are these plants grown from year to year in a perennial garden?

Thanks-
Heather
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7186613

Awesome!

I used to grow about 70 varieties! Miss the old farm.. its too wet here, but I keep trying now and again... need to do containers!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

mumstheword49
Bowling Green, KY

November 13, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #7270066

I grew about 2400 mums on black fabric and emitters going into each one. This was about the 5th year I have done this. I have mixed the colors in the containers the last 3 years and have had alot of success selling those at the farmers market. I try something new every year to see how it sells. I put spikes in the middle of my larger pots this year.
They were a big hit. Do you have any suggestions? I have to try to do something that the big stores don't have.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #7270331

Well, this fall I saw 5 colors in one pot. It was nice for the color and would have made a nice table arrangement.. Just needed a pot cover.
Was about the size of a half bushel.

I've cut the flowers off already, the derned thing did not make it to Thanksgiving, but hopefully it will grow in the garden... just needs a little more time in the pot to get some roots and I will plant it later...

Good idea on the spikes.

Will have to think on this more...um, you could sell them in the bushel baskets, that seems to be popular, other than to put sevearl kinds of perennials and fall annuals in the big bushels, Im dry for ideas right now...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #7295801

Well, thanks to the kindness of my buddy Leo, I have about 30 bushel size yellow mums to get in the dirt before the snow flies on Wednesday...probably will be all labor for nothing, but worth the try... There are 3 different kinds...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #7302233

Close up of bloom on line...its called a Belgian mum, Ozenda Orange... was wondering at the time why they called it an orange when it was so blatantly yellow...heres the tag.. to which I thought was an error.. but...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7302254

Yes, my mums from Leo as yellow as they were when I first got them...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #7302283

End their season.. OZENDA ORANGE!! ... ok, I get it.. the tag was right from the git go...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #7302954

Dontcha just love it when they do that.. I love yellow mums that take on that pinkish lavender hue or go orange! That was a grand surprize!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mums and Asters Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Aster Blue Ribbon Sue_WA 8 Nov 27, 2009 11:54 PM
Pinching back mums...... orange_knickers 11 Aug 17, 2007 5:16 AM
Cutting back fall Asters? rainy_jane 27 Aug 30, 2007 3:26 PM
How many others have lost their mum? leaflady 40 Jul 9, 2007 1:56 PM
Does Anybody Know About Mums ? Canada60 1 May 28, 2007 1:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America