Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Japanese Blood Grass 'Rubra' (Imperata cylindrica)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 2, Views: 190
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TerriFlorida
Plant City, FL

September 29, 2003
4:53 PM

Post #664561

Rose Fountain Grass, Purple Fountain Grass 'Rubrum'
Pennisetum setaceum

Additional info: (Graceful Grasses™ series)

Japanese blood grass flowers in fall, above the foliage.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1491/

Thumbnail by TerriFlorida
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

September 30, 2003
3:54 PM

Post #665746

Morning TerriFlorida -

I'm wondering if what you have here is Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' or another one of the red "fountain" type grasses? These grow all over California and can become huge clumps and 8' tall. Here's a link to some images in the PDB of Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' http://plantsdatabase.com/go/1491/

I planted Japanese Blood Grass 'Rubra' four years ago and have been pulling it out for about 3 1/2 years. It can be very invasive and I'm still finding stragglers. Just went out and managed to find some pieces under some Jades at the back of our pond. They are greener than normal since they were "hiding out", but you can see the burgandy coloring and the margins that show some color. It only gets about 16" tall at the tallest here in 9b and runs along underground which makes it difficult to eradicate once established. I've never seen it with plumes, but then I've been digging it out before it could get to that stage. :-)

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TerriFlorida
Plant City, FL

October 1, 2003
12:59 PM

Post #666621

This plant is new to me, planted this spring 2003. I will watch for invasiveness -- thank you for the correction as to genus and for the warning! I know precious little about ornamental grasses save that they make a good archetectural statement in flower beds. One does not want too many of those, however...

Under Imperata someone says that there is a non-seeding type. I hope that's what I have, as it is too late to prevent any seed drop.

Wish me luck!
TerriFlorida

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America