Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Fruits and Nuts: mulching citrus trees

Communities > Forums > Fruits and Nuts
bookmark
Forum: Fruits and NutsReplies: 6, Views: 174
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tampasal
Zephyrhills, FL

October 1, 2003
10:23 PM

Post #667120

We recently planted a small key lime tree and a small kumquat tree. I have been told not to use organic mulch around the trees but I do want to make the area look a little more pleasing to the eye (hate that bare dirt look!). Is it ok to use decorative stones around the trees?
kikisdad
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2003
3:00 PM

Post #671165

Why aren't you supposed to use organic mulch? I mulch my citrus (Kumquat,Grapefruit) with leaves, pine straw and grass cuttings and they do just fine.
tampasal
Zephyrhills, FL

October 7, 2003
10:02 PM

Post #673623

We've been told by several garden/nurserys not to use organic mulch. I am assuming it's due to pest control. All of them say if you use any kind of mulch at all, keep it a 6 inch radious from the trunk. I finally found someone the other day who told me it was ok to use the stones, but again, keep it a 6 inch radious from the trunk. I just wanted something to cover the bare dirt to make it look a little nicer. Thanks for your reply. :)
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2003
1:21 AM

Post #673833

It is usually recommended that any mulch is kept away from the trunk of a tree, whether citrus or otherwise. (Usually a mulch that close to the trunk will offer a great home for ants, underground rodents, and a hide-away/cover for rabbits/mice to be able to knaw away the bark.)

To me, even the stones that you mention are "organic mulch". Tampasal, perhaps you should try a "living mulch" such as rye, clover, or even a garlic patch (for it's repellent properties) around your trees. (I had left over gladiolus bulbs one yr...they now pop up yearly around many of our fruit trees!)

Best of All to you! Have fun!
leisurlee
East Barre, VT
(Zone 4a)

October 9, 2003
9:59 PM

Post #675891

Cool idea Horseshoe. Maybe I'll try that around my new apple trees.
tampasal
Zephyrhills, FL

October 10, 2003
11:11 PM

Post #676953

Great ideas!! What else low growing can I plant around these small trees to hide the bare dirt that won't take too much away from the delicate roots of these newly planted trees?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2003
1:45 AM

Post #677082

Tansy would be good, tampasal. It can be "spreading" but if you mow around your trees to keep it in check it won't take over. Not only does it repell many insects but produces great flowers for drying or using fresh (often called "button bush").

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fruits and Nuts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Fruit Trees forum! dave 36 Feb 14, 2008 2:20 PM
spraying trees notmartha 18 Mar 29, 2009 1:52 PM
plum tree-loaded! notmartha 50 Sep 5, 2007 1:57 PM
Anyone have PawPaw fruit? crestedchik 67 Feb 29, 2008 2:08 AM
Strawberry Predator? TuttiFrutti 2 Aug 17, 2008 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America