AuthorContent
laylarose
Fulton, MS
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2001
3:24 PM

Post #5671

HI All,
Has anybody got any lemon verbena? I have looked high and low and can't locate any. Would anybody be interested in selling me some. Have nothing to trade at present time just getting a very late start. Also like to buy some french tarragon.
Thanks All,
laylarose
kpoore2001
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2007
12:51 PM

Post #3433222

Yesterday, I found some online at "Pantry Garden Herbs". Do a goggle search for their address.
Karen in Austin, TX
1tjl
Eastern MA, MA

April 26, 2007
6:28 PM

Post #3434347

I received a Bluestone Perennial catalog the other day that had it .I had a plant a few years ago, but didn't have luck overwintering.
kpoore2001
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2007
7:07 PM

Post #3487049

In your zone, you can bring them inside and treat like a house plant. I read you need to do that.
The winter before last I put my pot on the side of the house and put mulch on top and it came back last year. Last year I just ignored it and the cold killed it.
The problem with me bringing them inside is I think my cats may eat it.
I purchased more plants this year because using the leaves in cooking and my green tea was great.
1tjl
Eastern MA, MA

May 11, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #3487625

I had brought the plant into house for winter in hope using through winter and putting out again the following year but lost it. All the leaves fell off . I think it needed a more humid enviroment than a I was providing . I did try misting it. Ive thought of trying again ,but will try putting it on a tray of pepples with water to increase humidity. It does have a wonderful aroma and taste.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2007
2:00 AM

Post #3488467

1tjl ~ Hope you didn't compost the pot? My leaves all dropped and were slow about it but put on new growth. It didn't die. I think the roots are cold sensitive and the leaves are light sensitive.

Laylarose, I picked mine up from ebay.

Need to look at the Pantry Garden Herbs ~ sounds like an interesting site.
RatherBDigging
Akron, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2007
3:17 AM

Post #3494872

In PA, years ago, I grew some lemon verbena that I got at a plant swap...mine was very invasive. It took years to remove it all from my beds. All gone now, otherwise I would have gladly sent you some...hope you have it now and that it is growing well for you.
judithht
Rockmart, GA

May 28, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #3545298

Hello all,
I'm new to DG so forgive any violation of protocol!
When you take your Lemon Verbena inside for the winter it *will* drop its leaves, maybe even all of them, & you look at this pot of sticks & think, well, !@$. Despair not. She's just gone into her dormant period. Water sparingly, maybe every other time or every 3rd you water your other houseplants. Come the spring and warmth and light you will be *amazed* to see little green leaves starting from the nodes. I've overwintered Lemon Verbena for several years now.
I'm 7b, & let one stay outside one year & yes, she did overwinter. I think I was just lucky, though, because the next winter that plant didn't make it.
Judithht
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #3545334

Hi Judithht ~ Welcome and please, I don't think there is a protocol to violate. I think everyone has something to offer and I for one am not too old to learn.

I agree with you and think many times a LV gets pitched as folks think it died. So harvest the dropped leaves and be patient next spring? Hard to do but I am learing patience. Hope to see you around the garden... pod
cyra
Central Valley, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #3547187

Richters Herbs and Possum Creek Herbs both have lemon verbena. I bought three from Richters, and they're all doing well.
Cyra
kanita
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 29, 2007
2:39 AM

Post #3547221

WELCOME JUDITH!
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2007
6:22 AM

Post #3547721

Rather B, are you referring to lemon verbena, or lemon balm?
Lemon verbena is a shrub. I've never seen it become invasive. Large and in need of pruning, yes, invasive no. Learn something new everyday!

Lemon balm is in the mint family and will spread out if you don't pull the runners back to their designated area.

Welcome Judith!
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #3554687

laylarose,
I'm sorry I don't have any extra lemon verbena to send you. I did purchase this plant for the first time this year. I must thank you all for the information on this plant, I had no idea it would grow to shrub size or how to overwinter it.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #4449903

I found one on ebay..she has more of them..
http://cgi.ebay.com/lemon-verbena-herb-plant_W0QQitemZ230215952710QQihZ013QQcategoryZ42214QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM
Spanish and French Lavender CBernard 14 Jun 14, 2008 11:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America