Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Hardy Ginger Lily 'Elizabeth' (Hedychium hybrid)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 4, Views: 144
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
suncatcheracres
Old Town, FL

October 4, 2003
5:14 PM

Post #670230

Hardy Ginger Lily 'Elizabeth'
Hedychium

Beautiful, fragrant flowers on a tall (six to nine feet)dark-green leaved, Hedychium hybrid ginger. A recent introduction by Tom Woods of Florida.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/59481/

Thumbnail by suncatcheracres
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2003
6:16 PM

Post #670279

whrer did you find your pink ginger???
aking1a
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2003
5:05 AM

Post #671856

I have a ginger that looks very much like this one - except that the flower color is definitely orange. Interestingly, it was sold to me as an Elizabeth. Obviously something is amis ---

I will say this - this one will grow in Baton Rouge if I find a source.
rylaff
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2003
11:25 AM

Post #671965

Does yours look like this one? The is pink flame (somone was colorblind).

Thumbnail by rylaff
Click the image for an enlarged view.

suncatcheracres
Old Town, FL

October 6, 2003
4:42 PM

Post #672249

I acquired my 'Elizabeth' from a wholesale source in Gainesville, Florida, and I thought it was quite pricy--$15.00 for a small plant with just a few stalks--but I know it is very new and very striking in color, so I bought it anyway. I belong to the Nature Coast Koi and Watergarden club, and we take trips to various nearby plant nurseries throughout the year that open their doors to us because we show up in mass--sometimes up to sixty people--and buy in mass, and I bought mine on such a trip, and I believe I was lucky and got the last one they had! 'Elizabeth' is a very new introduction from Tom Woods, who is also a wholesale plantsman who specializes in Hedychiums located near Gainesville, Florida. Our club has also visited his nursery and 'Elizabeth' was described on both trips as being "a raspberry pink" in color--not salmon pink or orange.

I also have a 'Pink Flame,' acquired on the same day I bought 'Elizabeth,' and I believe there are some other colors in a 'flame' series. Of course, my grandparents grew white Hedychiums for years in South Louisiana and in South Georgia, but I'm just getting into the whole ginger craze because I have the perfect place to grow them in Northcentral Florida, zone 8b, under the shade of huge old oaks. A google search will bring up a lot of information, especially about the Hedychiums.

This message was edited Monday, Oct 6th 12:47 PM

This message was edited Monday, Oct 6th 12:48 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America