Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tropical Plants: Begonia & Ginger Assistance

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 13, Views: 279
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
delecie
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 6, 2003
11:39 PM

Post #672636

I purchased this Begonia 'Chocolate Satin'

Thumbnail by delecie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

delecie
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 6, 2003
11:48 PM

Post #672645

and this Costus varzearum over the weekend. However, I cannot locate any specific information about these plants. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thumbnail by delecie

gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2003
12:25 AM

Post #672694

I can't help with the begonia but the C.varzearum grows to 4 feet ,likes medium sun and is hardy in zone 9.This plant should have dark green leaves with maroon undersides and will produce small yellow and orange flowers.
delecie
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 7, 2003
1:52 PM

Post #673185

Thank-you gone2seed. :-)
heather_v
Lenexa, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2003
3:31 PM

Post #674455

If you have Acrobat Reader, here is a link with info on Rex Begonias. I couldn't find anything on your particular one, but I think most of the rex begonias have the same needs. My only experience with one of these was very unfortunate for the plant :( But I think I just didn't know how to treat it right. There is an inset box on page two of the document that talks about care. Hope this helps!

http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/floriculture/gpn/RexBegonia.pdf
delecie
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 8, 2003
7:01 PM

Post #674638

Heather:

Thank-you very much for the information. I've learned a lot, including the type of begonia I have. :-)
heather_v
Lenexa, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2003
10:48 PM

Post #674797

Glad to help! I love begonias, but haven't tried the rex variety again yet. I mostly have canes and shrub-like begonias, also known as angel-wings. Are you familiar with them, or considered trying them? There are so many varieties, most with spotted leaves, and most are good bloomers. They would do well outside where you live. Mine are indoors now, since we've had some cold nights already.
delecie
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 9, 2003
1:11 AM

Post #674936

Heather:

I have considered trying the pink angelwing begonia but I haven't bought one yet. 'Chocolate Satin' is the first begonia I've owned and I'll try my luck with it before branching out to others.
ButterflyGardnr
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 10, 2003
1:07 AM

Post #676086

Some info and pictures of the ginger from the internet (you can do a WWW search by typing in the genus and species). The GingersRus Website was the best:
http://www.gingersrus.com/botanical/description.php?PID=3108 http://www.gingersrus.com/DataSheet.php?PID=3108
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2003
9:17 PM

Post #676853

Hiya Delecie,
That's a great pic! Beautiful plant!
I have a small collection of begonia's too...it looks more like a rhizomatous begonia to me...I have a big book on Begonia's and looked it up,and I found "Choclate Soldier" so maybe it's a hybrid of it???...was there any other info on the plant card? You can try this link:
http://www.begonias.org/greenhouse/index.asp

maybe email them for more info..it could make a difference to the plants care.
Well enjoy your beautiful begonia!
I love all of mine!
MsCritterkeeper
delecie
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 11, 2003
4:02 AM

Post #677200

ButterflyGardnr:

Thanks for the website. I've saved it to my favorite places. I enjoyed the phtographs and it was nice to see what my plant will look like when it's really healthy.

Hi Lottie Jean:

Thank-you for the compliments. The moment I saw the begonia at the plant sale I knew she had to come home with me. LOL

I registered at begonias.org on 5 October and I posted questions. As of today, no one has answered my post on that site. I just hope that I can keep her alive and healthy so that I can buy more begonias. :-)
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2003
6:41 PM

Post #677642

Delecie,
Whichever the begonia is...it's so pretty.
I have a small colletion mostly of canes and I love them.
In your Florida climate they should do great potted or in the garden.
I have some cuttings of Sophie Cecil(Not my pic??),Irene Nuss and 1 other Pink one I don't remember it's name .
Send me your addy if you want a cutting or two. I have to get some gingers ready to send to Minishcnuz,too so I will take them to the P.O. all togehter next week.
Poor Minischnuz probable thinks I forgot her...but I just move slower these days.LOL
Enjoy your plants...
LottieJean

Thumbnail by MsCritterkeeper

delecie
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 12, 2003
12:17 AM

Post #677915

Lottie Jean:

You have mail! :-)
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2003
4:56 AM

Post #678239

Got my mail,:>)blush, blush
I will send em your way next week...enjoy!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America