Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Confederate Rose, Cotton Rose (Hibiscus mutabilis)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 5, Views: 211
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2003
3:46 PM

Post #679579

Confederate Rose, Cotton Rose
Hibiscus mutabilis

Confederate Rose hibiscus has a double white or pink bloom (the 'Rubra' bloom is red) which gradually turns to red as it ages (note the closed bloom). If your hibiscus bloom is not a double, the plant is not a Confederate Rose hibiscus. (San Antonio, Tx.)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/714/

Thumbnail by htop
Click the image for an enlarged view.

eloopj
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2003
3:42 PM

Post #680626

I have a Confederate Rose and it doesn't turn from white to pink. It changes from dark to light pink. Mine was a gift. Where did you get yours? A lady in Florida wants one. I'm going to send her some seeds this fall when they are ready.
clantonnaomi
Iredell, TX

October 14, 2003
4:23 PM

Post #680659

I have three Confederate Rose plants and none of them have white blooms. Do all true Confederate Roses have white blooms? If so, where can you purchase them? I bought all of mine at different nurseries and they all have pink blooms.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2003
10:44 PM

Post #680992

Hi,eloopj and clantonnaomi! I changed the wording of my description of this plant because it was obviously mileading. I add plants, photos and information to the database to be helpful, not confusing. Because we are limited in the number of words we can enter in the photo description, I cut out words that I should have left in. I meant to say that if the bloom is not a double and between 4 and 6 inches in diameter, your plant is not a Conferate Rose hibiscus.I apologize for not saying what I meant.My husband tells me "But, that's not what you said!" and I tell him, "You're just not listening!". Now I think maybe he has been right!! So I guess I had better apologize to him too! Thanks for you comments, they have been helpful. I did not add a rating to this plant because I have not grown it. My friends at the nursury pointed it out to tell me and I had to take a picture. I will add a rating with more information ... Thanks again. :o)
eloopj
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2003
11:50 PM

Post #681036

Hi htop, I've got a single and a double one! :)
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2003
11:56 PM

Post #682135

Hi, eloopj! I bet they are really fantastic. The blooms are really magnificent. I need a bigger yard! I have no place left to plant one of these where they would receive enough sun.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America