Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Irises: Springhill's Lace Handkerchief Iris

Communities > Forums > Irises
bookmark
Forum: IrisesReplies: 2, Views: 262
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2003
4:25 PM

Post #680660

They list it as Iris tectorum variegata but show it as a mostly white with gold stamens and a line of purple on the inside of the falls. I haven't been able to find a picture online of the 'alba' cultivar of this one but the blue/purple cutivar looks a lot like the general form of the bloom.

Have any of you ever gotten this iris? I had it many years ago and it only bloomed one spring but then the floods of '93 killed it. I would love to get more of it and it's still available thru Springhill at good prices. But is this what it really is? It doesn't look quite like a regular bearded iris. The sites I've found the purple one on say the blooms look much like orchids and the pictures certainly look that way in the catalog.
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2003
5:30 PM

Post #680707

That one was on my 'short list' of irises I wanted to try, but somehow, I never got around to it.

Anyway, I find this in a search for Iris tectorum variegata

The Iris tectorum Alba ... features masses of wavy beardless white flowers, speckled with darker purple in May-June ...
near the bottom of http://www.carrollgardens.com/eNewsletter/030411/newsletter030411.html

http://www.carrollgardens.com/fs_iris.asp

I don't find it on the Springhill site. =(

Cheri'
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2003
12:45 AM

Post #681106

Thanks, Cheri. I went there and it looks NOTHING like what Springhill has pictured and I bought many years ago. Guess I'll just have to go with it and not know the proper name.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Irises Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Irises forum dave 25 Jul 7, 2011 8:35 AM
autopsy photo! miss_kitty 10 Jun 11, 2013 1:18 PM
Another Iris? in need of identification mgh 33 Jul 6, 2007 10:03 PM
Trail Of Tears Iris starlight1153 15 May 2, 2010 6:44 PM
How to Hybridize Iris tazzy 23 Sep 18, 2007 1:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America