Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Fruits and Nuts: anyone see article Sept. 03 on standard apple trees in yard?

Communities > Forums > Fruits and Nuts
bookmark
Forum: Fruits and NutsReplies: 4, Views: 147
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tbolt76
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2003
3:51 AM

Post #685065

I was out browsing some magazines in the last month at Borders. Saw an article on growing standard apple trees trained to wire fence in the backyard. I think the guy that wrote the article was in Ohio, but I don't remember what magazine it was. He also talked about having a little nursery in his backyard and this was in an urban setting. One of the things the article discussed was the fact that standard rootstocks would life longer than dwarfing stocks. I would like to buy a back issue of this magazine if I can. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Tom
tbolt76
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2003
2:19 AM

Post #685858

Update,
I think the article was from the magazine Hobby Farms---June/July 2003. Anyone have it? There is a crate of apples on the cover. Thanks.
Tom

This message was edited Oct 19, 2003 10:20 PM
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2003
2:51 PM

Post #687465

Howdy Tom...
(Nice to see you survived your wedding just fine!) (He's now a newly-wed, folks!)

Haven't seen the mag you mention. Was it an article about growing "espalier" trees? (Growing the branches outwards and horizontal?)

tbolt76
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2003
4:22 AM

Post #690994

Shoe,
Things are well. Would like to catch up with you sometime in the next couple weeks and take a ride out to see how your homestead is and discuss your neck of the woods. Were thinking about moving out in your general direction. I think I figured out what magazine it was---Hobby Farms June/July 2003 and the article was called "Apples of Antiquity" where the author discussed growing standards in his backyard by espalier and he also covered the small scale nursery he has with this method in his urban backyard. I contacted the publisher and ordered a back issue, assuming that I am correct about the magazine. My searching only turned this article up so I assume its the correct one. Talk to you soon, got 20+ lbs of garlic to plant this weekend and winter cover crops.
Tom
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2003
3:56 PM

Post #691244

Tom, you may want to contact Mr. Lee Calhoun (I refer to him as the "apple man"). He has kept many heirloom apple trees in existance over many yrs, many of then requiring little (if any) spraying for bugs and such because of their traits.

I don't know if he does espalier but he is certainly a warehouse of information. He lives around Pittsboro. Email if you'd like his number.

By the way, there is a great little house and land for sale not far from me. If I wasn't so settled in here I'd buy it in a heart beat. You might be interested in it (perfect location for a small ag bizness). Call me.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fruits and Nuts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Fruit Trees forum! dave 36 Feb 14, 2008 2:20 PM
spraying trees notmartha 18 Mar 29, 2009 1:52 PM
plum tree-loaded! notmartha 50 Sep 5, 2007 1:57 PM
Anyone have PawPaw fruit? crestedchik 67 Feb 29, 2008 2:08 AM
Strawberry Predator? TuttiFrutti 2 Aug 17, 2008 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America