Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

PlantFiles Pictures: Purple Heart, Purple Queen, Wandering Jew 'Purple Heart' (Tradescantia pallida)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 8, Views: 361
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2003
3:29 AM

Post #688038

Purple Heart, Purple Queen, Wandering Jew 'Purpurea'
Tradescantia pallida

Additional info: (aka Purple Heart)

Purple wandering jew growing in full sun. It can be used as a ground cover for erosion control. The inset photo shows it growing all the way up the incline. (San Antonio, Tx.)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1160/

Thumbnail by htop
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MartyJo
Fayette, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 23, 2003
3:24 AM

Post #688980

Your little inset photo is great! From a distance it looks like a purple river.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2003
7:39 AM

Post #689106

MartyJo, the inset photo was taken farther back showing how the Purple heart flowed down the embankment. But the large photo showed the foliage closer up. I did not want to upload 2 photos that almost showed the same thing and take up space on the server. So I decided to inset it. It does indeed look like a purple river. I am glad you liked it. Thanks for your comments.
roshana
Jacksonville, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2003
12:33 PM

Post #689192

That is very striking! I wonder how long it took to grow that thickly. Neat way to conserve the soil. I like the "purple river" description also! Thanks for posting it.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2003
10:56 PM

Post #689691

roshana, this plant grows like weeds here. Once established it is very hard to dig up. It takes very little water once the roots are set. I have no idea how long it took to fill in this area but it is a very, very fast grower. I do have a present for you as soon as I can get them packaged and sent! Thanks for your comments. :o)
FineChina84
Hibbing, MN

April 10, 2006
8:49 PM

Post #2179332

htop, All I can say is- WOW!! And I see that you live in Texas- DOUBLE WOW!!! I used to have a beautiful Wandering Jew... I was only 14 when I purchased it for $4 in a hanging pot at a local flee-market. During this time I lived in Southern California. Even though it flourished for most of my ownership, I could see that it was in need of more light. I placed it in our backyard (in June)- and took a trip to Minnesota for a few months. My mother tended it while I was gone, but unfortunetly apon my return- It had been fried to a crisp in the summer sun/heat. My question to you is: How does this one thrive so well in such a sunny/warm location?
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2006
6:00 AM

Post #2180788

I am sorry to hear that you lost yours which I am sure made you very sad. It's roots grow very deep. Some types can't handle full sun. Indeed it can become very hot here. But, this type of wandering jew just loves it. It does have a prettier color of purple with a little less sun exposure. Thanks for your comments.
Daniel_H
Baton Rouge, LA

November 9, 2007
8:13 PM

Post #4176176

The picture that you are showing is not Tradescantia, it is Setcreasea pallida. Setcreasea pallida is usually called "Purple heart" as a common name. Tradescantia fluminensis is refered to as "Wandering Jew" and is much more aggressive than Setcreasea pallida "Purple Heart". Setcreasea has purple to pink flowers, Tradescantia has white flowers which are not prominant.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2007
5:55 PM

Post #4179150

Daniel_H, I thought that Setcreasea pallida was a synonym for Tradescantia pallida. I will check out the information you have provided when I return home from visiting my relatives within the next few days. Thanks for your comments.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 4 Oct 20, 2014 1:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America