Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 24, 2003
11:22 PM

Post #690733

Looking for those Giant gourd seeds from either Nigeria, or Africa.. I have several types of seeds and can trade some gourd seeds or flower seeds for some..

The rabbits have eaten all the seedlings this year, so my seed is from they year before. But, it is still in the gourds and they are on a pellet in my yard..

I want to make a drum, and really would love some of the bushel or harry hurley's gourds, or the above.. I am obsessed... help me.. then this darn roof rat ate my long dipper gourd just this week, I have a few smaller ones growing on that vine but do not know if they will survive the rest of the season and the roof rats at the same time.. Well, that's my story and I 'm sticking to it..lol.
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2003
9:28 AM

Post #692759

I will have bushel gourd seeds after Halloween. If you are interested.
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2003
3:24 AM

Post #693468

Gourd, I am planning on going through my seed collection tomorrow. Will see what I have. You like the bigger gourds? I grew a beatiful extra long handled dipper this year and the darn thing rotted on me :( So frustrating but I did save seeds from it as it was very mature!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 28, 2003
3:34 AM

Post #693477

Hi there, just wanted to show you a photo of my dipper gourd... well, a roof rat ate it last week, but there is one now hanging right in the middle of the arbor.. hopefully we can catch the varmit before he swings to the middle..

The other one is a small bottle gourd.. right over the bench.. the rats have not found that one yet..loll

Thumbnail by Gourd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 28, 2003
3:35 AM

Post #693480

Here is the small bottle gourd that is probably going to survive.. two years ago, I got over 100 gourds.. last year nada, this year ...well, you see how many.. two (one is still alive). It is right over the bench you see there..

Thumbnail by Gourd

Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2003
3:47 AM

Post #693486

Here's a pix of my EXLHD that rotted :( Each year seems to bring it's own challenges here in Ohio. Both years it's been squash eating bugs and this year a late start due to rain through June!

My smaller gourds have done much better including dipper, chinese bottle and others.

Thumbnail by Morph

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 28, 2003
4:14 AM

Post #693504

Oh man, that one is great.. I will photo graph the ones I got.. and post the photos tomorrow, too dark now to take the photos.. I have a pellet full of the ones from two years ago that should have good seed, it never freezes here, so they should be viable.. I also got a few of the mini jewelery gourds this weekend.. Boy am I mad, about that roof rat.. I also have some swan gourd seeds that is from two years ago. Let's seed what happens.. Trying to get the Moon & Stars melon seeds too for this coming spring.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2003
8:23 PM

Post #694101

Gourd...the longest dipper I had was 24"...but I have plenty of seeds...and IF you were to happen to come to the Southwest/AZ Round Up next month, I could be persuaded to give you one!

Agrinerd, in NC, sent me 4 of the seeds for a huge gourd...(it is posted here somewhere)...I hope to grow it next year and share seeds from it.

Also, I can beat the "rabbit ate it" and "the Rats ate it"excuses...mine is: THE JAVALINAS ATE THEM!! Darn smelly, ugly cratures!! Jo
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 28, 2003
9:28 PM

Post #694151

Oh Jo, that is so cute.. I just have to do a google search to see what those Javalinas are...

Well, this is what is left after they eat a good dinner (the roof rats)...

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 28, 2003
9:29 PM

Post #694154

This is the one that survived for today.. that I know of..

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 28, 2003
9:30 PM

Post #694155

I just had to post this one, it is so cute.. bought this at the Gourd Festival.. with all those mini-gourds.. the doll is so cute.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 28, 2003
9:31 PM

Post #694160

This are the ones I bought for the exchange..
Snake, don't know the name of those big ones, but they looked big... so I got them...

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 28, 2003
9:33 PM

Post #694162

These are the ones on the pellet in the back, they are almost two years old, the seed should be good.. this is the first good crop I had...

Let me tell you one thing.. I got several traps to try and catch those roof rats, I don't know if I can, but will try..

Thumbnail by Gourd

Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2003
10:47 PM

Post #694254

Great dinner for the roof rats, eh? I wonder if you had sprayed them with a bad flavored liquid if they might not have been as interested? Great photos!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 29, 2003
12:25 AM

Post #694373

KathyJo, sent you mail.
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2003
12:15 PM

Post #694730

Gourd, I re-emailed you cause I didn't see anything from you.

My biggest "pests" are my goats. I never seem to keep them outta the garden all year. Just one over the fence and they seem to go for your favorite plant, no matter what it is. Now I gotta go do a search on Javalinas. What the heck are they?
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2003
11:02 PM

Post #697265

Your gourds are looking good and I do hope you can keep that roof rat out of them.

I like your gourd harvest, nice selection to decorate.

Here are some of my long handle gourds. I hate the fact that I broke the biggest one I had, I almost cried.

Thumbnail by windsurffer

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2003
11:14 PM

Post #697272

Gourd,
Javalinas are like wild pigs. They are accualy part of the rodent family but are the size of wild pigs. Kidda cute when they are babies but then most babies are. They grow up to be mean and smelly creatures and can be very voilent if you should corner one or come upon a mother with her young. They are, as roadrunner said, very ugly, and distructive critters.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 3, 2003
1:38 AM

Post #699262

Hey Windsurffer, you have a nice apple crop there.. like those dippers too.. I know what you mean about crying.. these three dogs can't catch that rat, and I have about 10 traps (4 different kinds) that I will set up either tomorrow or Tues..

Tombstonejan, love your name, yeah this little critter was kinda cute, at first I thought it looked the Tom & Jerry mouse cartoons, but it is really making me mad.. and I don't want them around next year..lol.. gotta figure it out here..

Jan, posting a photo of myself and Mary , we attended the Welburn Gourd Festival two weeks ago, but the cap I am wearing says: Tombstone The town too Tough to Die, just wanted you to see it, I don't know if the letters will show up..lol..

Edited to add: I moved from CA to NM in Oct/2006.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 3:19 PM

Thumbnail by Gourd

windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2003
1:01 AM

Post #700182

Thanks and I do hope that you will catch the little critter/crutters, nice to meet cha.
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2003
10:08 PM

Post #700902

Great picture! Nice gourds, too :)
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #6332055

Gourd...we finally got our African Gourd seeds! LOL Jo
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 29, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6336854

lol.. Jo, thank you... guess WHAT??? another one germinated today... looking good, got two seeds to germinate so far.

Just think, it only took from 2003 for me to get these seeds...lol Patience is a virtue! Good things come to those who wait!! what are the other sayings?

Jo, thank you, I'm so glad you met that man with the gourd seeds.

A.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6337887

Me too...and I have the BIG gourd on my porch to look at each day...trying to hear it tell me what it wants to BE. LOL Jo
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 30, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6337910

It is saying: SEND Me to GOURD..lol
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #6338784

Now...I didn't hear it say that!! LOL Jo

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6340806

Once we get our big gourds to grow, how do we properly dry them, to avoid any rot?

LK
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6341883

The man who furnished the seeds said he "cleaned" his before they started to dry...I don't think it would work for me...but if I had ...maybe 4 or 5 ...I would experiment with the process. Jo
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 30, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6342172

Oh I hope we are lucky enough to get one that big, or keep the plants alive. Too early to tell. I won't even worry about it till I see one growing.

Are you sure you don't hear it Jo?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6342865

I put my hearing aid on high...nothing!! Jo
d_lilly
Vandalia, IL

March 31, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #6343191

I have transplanted the 2 african gourds, so far with success, into big coffee plastic cont.,the only ones that arent germinating are the swan,,probally too old and the club..Im starting some more this weekend,,Our area is about 2 weeks till planting time! I cant even move in my glass house,,,cant wait to get all of it out! :):) Dee
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 31, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6345131

I haven't started any others, but one more seed germinated here, so far 3 seeds have germinated.

d_lilly, what zone are you in? I probably should direct sow some soon too?

I don't blame you for not listening to it, it sure is big.. and beautiful. Maybe you can put a piece of glass on it and use it as a little table in the meantime till you decide what to make out of it. It would make a nice drum too.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6346930

My friend has a drum made out of one...IT was made by a Native American named Charlie Onehorse Hill...Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6347883

That is really cool. Does the cord that holds the top on, just wrap around and underneath, or soes it go through it some how?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #6348410

I didn't pay enough attention...but I'll look the next time I am at her house. Jo
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 6, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6372449

Well, so far, 4 of my seeds have germinated.. there are two that just don't want to come up, maybe they will later on. Either way, I'm one happy camper.. they all have one leaf and one on the way. I'm keeping them really close to the lights so that they get bushy instead of long and leggy.. some of the zuccini seedlings are really leggy..

A.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM
Starting Gourd Seeds roadrunner 9 Apr 26, 2011 8:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America