Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Shed: Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses?

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 18, Views: 538
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2003
3:40 PM

Post #692054

I have found they don't last very long, sometimes not even once. Anyone else having this problem?

I have switched to brass shut-off valves on everything... the ones with a lever on the valve. I did see some brass quick-disconnects earlier this year in a garden center but they were about $10 each. Ouch.
NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2003
4:09 PM

Post #692072

My plastic disconnects have lasted for at least 3 years. The only problem I have is that they tend to stick - when I press on the release buttons the nozzle or wand doesn't want to come out. I have found that if I empty the water in the attachment first and then while I am pressing on the release buttons I push down first and then pull up on the attachment it comes off fine.
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2003
4:29 PM

Post #692081

The Brass pays for itself in the long haul!

"eyes"
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2003
9:16 PM

Post #692341

Brass is my preference finding they work better when you keep them clean and know for a fact that positive benifits are enjoyed when you keep the detent balls oiled.

I like the type with the automatic check valve shutting off the water when you uncouple the hose with pressure on.

Each spring Costco stores sell them with several in a bag at a reasonable price otherwise they are about five bucks a set.

There are several brands on the market and so far have found all brass types interchange but don't know if that is a standard or not, but I bought a new expensive sprinkler that came with a plastic male that would not work.

NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2003
10:50 PM

Post #692455

Happy Birthday again, Ernie! Hope you are having a great day.

We don't have Costco out here but if I think of it next spring I can have my ex DH pick it up for me.

(I have been running around all weekend - I'll answer your email as soon as I get a breather.)
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2003
11:01 PM

Post #694269

Relating to the subject. If there are a lot of leaks around the connections and valves, and they can't be entirely stopped, it may be that the water pressure is too high. I had mine checked a couple of years ago and found it to be 110 psi. I am told it should be 55 psi. So the extra pressure was blowing out (leaking) anywhere the pipes connected. An adjustable pressure valve was added on where the water pipe enters the house and set for 55 psi. What a difference!

Our town is said to be plumber friendly because of the high pressure.

A tester can be attached to the outside valve to find the existing pressure. It is good to know where you stand with this. A neighbor/friend may have a tester you can use.

Edited for spelling.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2003 4:39 PM
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2003
1:07 PM

Post #710668

I have the most trouble with hoses! I have one in the back and one in the front of the house...and BOTH sprung a leak this month...plus the fittings around the connection leaks. We are on a co-op well so I don't think the pressure is the problem. Looks like I will have to fix Fried Chicken dinner to get my son-in-law over to do some work! OH! for the help of a good man. LOL Jo

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2003
1:25 PM

Post #710701

Jo, I haven't bought a new hose in 25 years. Not that I haven't had leaks... just that I buy Sears' Best, guaranteed for a lifetime. When they leak, I just take them back and they give me now ones. No questions asked.

Leaks around the connections are common when the gasket gets worn. New gaskets are cheap... a whole bunch for abpout $1. I go through a couple of gaskets per fitting each year.
NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2003
3:00 PM

Post #710764

When you are done using the hose make sure you turn it off at the spigot and then empty the remaining water out of the hose by opening the nozzle and leaving it open. Otherwise water builds up in the hose and with the heat of the day expands. Over time it can cause the hose material to stretch and eventually rupture. My hoses last years longer since I have been doing this.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2003
3:31 PM

Post #710777

Noh20 I like to leave water in my hose because I can use the warm water to wash my hands in. My hoses never rot or strech before getting tried on by the lawnmower. By the way I did tell you I don't mow the grass because I can't do it good enough to suit some people who live here ha ha . Ernie
NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2003
3:47 PM

Post #710780

Ernie, the water in the hose gets so hot here in the summer it would hurt your hands. And since Roadrunner lives in Arizona, her hose water would probably scald the skin off of them!

Good strategy to get out of mowing the grass! I'd try that here but that would mean my 80 year old mother would have to mow it and I don't think she would appreciate that. LOL
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2003
3:53 PM

Post #710788

darius, I love your solution. You are sharp, you know! Just like Sears tools; for a life time.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2003
5:45 PM

Post #710845

The summer I moved to the mountains and was building, I had one of those freeze-proof water spigots installed in the garden. I would run 150' of black hose from it to our temp. quarters, and into an army shower bucket. Man, we had good hot showers but you had to be careful not to get scalded, LOL.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2003
7:15 PM

Post #710911

Darius normal years we may get one day in the 90 and three or four in the eighties this year was the exception about six suffering brutal days in the nineties and at least ten days in the eighties I'm sure the water in the hose's was scalding.

My idea of a hot day is 72 above that causes naps untill it cools down enough to work. Ernie
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2003
7:34 PM

Post #710917

LOL, eweed! It's 76 here right now and I'm wearing long sleeves. Now I don't feel so bad complaining about the cold ... =) (it was 79 earlier)

My hoses always spring leaks about this time of year. I end up getting new ones every spring. I think the dog chews on them ... it's like a sprinkler system. Wish there was a Sears here in town. This is the price I pay for living in the stix =( It doesn't pay me to buy better hoses, they all get leaky after one season.

Cheri'
NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2003
7:47 PM

Post #710920

K-Mart used to sell a hose with either a 7 year or 10 year warranty, I can't remember which it was. I would check the label that came with the hose but I threw it out - the warranty expired before the hose did. LOL
Annette_M
New Waverly, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2007
5:19 PM

Post #4048477

If you are looking for reasonably priced quick connects, try Harbor Freight. That's where I bought mine, and they work just fine.

They take a special washer, but I can't find them. They have "extra" rubber in the inside, and keep it from leaking. Does anyone know where to find them?

Thanks,
Annette
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 5, 2007
4:51 PM

Post #4051795

We have a Harbor Freight store on 290 in Houston and there is one in Lubbock, but they have a website, so you should be able to order them -- plus get on their catalog mailing list.
Annette_M
New Waverly, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2007
8:07 PM

Post #4052339

I originally bought them from Harbor Freight, before they had any stores locally. What I wasn't finding was the replacement washers. I have since found the right ones at L.R. Nelson Corp. on the web.

Annette

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM
seeking source for Agway 5HP front-tine parts atlr 2 May 30, 2009 5:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America