Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: Is it too late to plant seeds outdoors now?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 15, Views: 245
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2001
4:43 PM

Post #5725

I lost a lot of what I planted indoors (to the cat!)...I didnt plant anything directly outdoors yet, but was wondering if I could plant the following seeds now:

datura
nicotania
aster
cosmos

would really appreciate some advice from the seasoned gardners.

thanks/cheers
pebble
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2001
5:01 PM

Post #79086

KHT - I had to laugh - here our window is just really opening!! I planted the veggie garden on the 4th of July one year, and it was a wonderful garden. We had a frost on may 30 and it was downright chilly last night. First frost of fall can come at the end of August...small window, indeed.
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2001
5:07 PM

Post #79088

I'll plant them this weekend!!! Will that work?
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2001
7:33 PM

Post #79134

im still planting here in michigan-I have seeds that say plant us in July!!!so i will be planting until who knows!!!
good luck!
dori
dave

June 1, 2001
8:30 PM

Post #79145

I'm still sowing new things as I find them. I sowed nematode marigold through some tomato patches 4 days ago, and they germinated yesterday.

Dave
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2001
9:26 PM

Post #79159

Still sowing here, too.
Most things need 90 days or less to bloom or ripen,
so if you have at least that many days left in your
growing season, you should be fine.
marclay
markleysburg, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2001
2:03 AM

Post #79244

Just starting to sow here in WPA-had hard frost night before last. Never plant anything out before Memorial day-learned tht over lot of lost plants. In 1974 when one of the hurricanes I think it was Agnes or Hazel swiped the applachians I lost 400 tomato plants on June 14 to 14 degree weather. Replanted the next day and lost them the next night.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2001
2:16 AM

Post #79249

Just sowed nicotiana today because I lost the seeds. (they were in my car)I hope they still will make. I also found some cosmos seeds I'm going to plant in the morning.
Calalily
Ivey
Lyles, TN

June 2, 2001
3:17 AM

Post #79258

Pebble~ We still plant things around here till FROST. In june I can still plant anything that will make in 90-100 days or so, then in late july I plant the first of the Fall garden stuff you know greens and brassicas, carrots, biennial flowers can also be planted pretty late, they're not going to bloom this year anyway.
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2001
10:37 AM

Post #79307

I'm with Dori...still planting in Michigan...just depends on your areas and the plants in particular.
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

June 3, 2001
12:48 AM

Post #79526

Gonna plant them as soon as the hail stops...what a funny day weatherwise today!
thanks for all the advice.
RiseAnn
Rapid City, SD
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2001
4:12 PM

Post #79746

Since I have so many, I thought about just planting seeds for perennials all summer here. Is there any reason (aside from watching the heat) that you can't?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2001
11:55 AM

Post #80000

Rise, are you going to plant them in containers, or direct-sow?

If you are direct sowing perennials, you run a risk that they won't be large enough to withstand winter temps, but I think summer can be a good time to start some slower-growing perennials or biennials.

I've got several perennials that I thought I'd start this summer, either indoors or out, (depending on our temps) and keep them in containers in the crawlspace or a cold frame with cow manure (for bottom heat) until next spring.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America