Photo by Melody

Garden Talk: What are Candied Flowers?????

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 7, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Janice

(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2001
8:09 PM

Post #5736

I was reading Garden Gate and someone asked if they could candy a particular flower from her garden. They gave her the instructions but I an really curious. What do you do with them???? LOL!!!
Janice

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2001
9:31 PM

Post #79163

Janice, I read the same article, LOL! In my experience, they are very pretty on a layer cake with plain white icing, and I once saw them atop a plain baked cheesecake (put the strawberry or raspberry sauce on the side!) If you want to go all-out, ala Martha Stewart, you could use them to decorate homemade petit fours (those itsy bitsy little bite-sized frosted cakes.)

Because they are a pain in the you-know-what to make, they're usually reserved for very special occasions - bridal shower cakes, wedding cakes, etc.

This message was edited Friday, Jun 1st 5:35 PM
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2001
9:34 PM

Post #79164

martha stewart makes things like that-maybe a link there!
Janice

(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2001
10:51 PM

Post #79190

Thanks for clearing that up for me!! I couldnt imagine having the time to do such things. Family is lucky if they get dinner, no less such a fancy "accessory". LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2001
2:35 PM

Post #79367

Janice, I candied violets several years ago... took SO much time and attention that I couldn't bring myself to use them! I do have to admit they were nice looking!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2001
5:11 PM

Post #79407

I attended a Garden Tea party a few years back and the Hostess had these candied flowers on almost everything. They were much too lovely to eat! There must have been a thousand of them! When I commented on them and how long it took her to prepare them she just grinned and said "Oh it was easy...my caterer did them!"
BJT72
Perrysburg, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2001
1:03 AM

Post #79534

Hi Janice,
Years ago I used to work at a gourmet restaurant/deli/caterer ect... we sold candied violets and for catering jobs when the customers requested them we would sell them for $25.00 a pound and there was a minimum of 1lb to place the order for them. I supose if you have enough time and patience and flowers it might be a good business!!!! lol

Cena

June 5, 2001
7:12 PM

Post #80460

Is this where you coat with egg white then sprinkle/mound sugar on them?

I had been wanting to do this again, but remember that I had trouble getting the flowers to keep their original color. Any suggestions?

TIA, Cena

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America