-
AuthorContent
MossRose
Albany, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2003
2:26 PM

Post #706507

This past season proved to be a terrible one for tool handles. Next spring I will be in the market for three rake handles and two hoe handles. I oil them probably three times a season and try to take good care of my tools, but this year was a bad one for handles. I'd like to buy good, long lasting handles,,,can anyone tell me the best ones to look for?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2003
2:51 PM

Post #706534

Wow, you really gave those handles a work-out this year, eh?

Usually a lot of handles are either oak or hickory but I've seen some at Lowe's/Home Depot that are a very lightweight and light-colored wood, possibly spruce? (darius might know).

What I was taught is to be sure to line the grain of the wood properly. Look at the end of the handle. With the tool in front of you in its working position the handle should be inserted with the grain running upwards, NOT horizontal.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2003
6:39 PM

Post #706682

White Ash makes a wonderful handle. As strong as oak or hickory but flexes a bit more... that is, it tends to have a little "give" in the handle rather than shatter under stress.
MossRose
Albany, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2003
10:49 PM

Post #706885

Thanks guys. Yes, it was a bad year for handles. No rain! The ground favored concrete most of the season, although I did run over a rake; that doesn't help either.

Seems I remember putting a garden tool website on my favorites many moons ago...and finally need it. White Ash, Oak or Hickory.

BTW, do either of you know a good website to purchase replacement handles?

Thanks again.

This message was edited Nov 11, 2003 7:58 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2003
12:40 AM

Post #706990

I usually get mine from vendors at my local weekend flea market. Of course, I live in a hardwoodas area... not that I know the handles are locally made, LOL.

Edited to say I ALWAYS take the shovel, hoe, whatever, with me to "fit" the new handle.

This message was edited Nov 11, 2003 8:41 PM
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2003
1:44 AM

Post #707049

Darius your right especially with hammers , mauls, and axes. Ernie
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2003
4:48 AM

Post #716654

try the fiskars stik tools - they're lightweight, but very heavy duty and won't break off like the wood handles do. they also have a great grip that you can use with both hands as well as a 'step' at the bottom.
Birdsall
Holland, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2003
7:56 PM

Post #717897

I am surprised that you have gone through so many tool handles in one season, MossRose. I am still using garden tools inherited from my father-in-law. He painted all of his handles with red paint. I have a pitch fork standing out in the rain as we speak. Perhaps I do not use my tools enough to give them a good workout.

Bird
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2003
7:19 AM

Post #730656

MossRose,

If you are going through that many tool handles in one season, you might want to consider the WOLF-Garten "Interlocken" gardening system. It features a mix-and-match assortment of comfortable handles and quality tool heads. They have a wide variety of handles from very short to very long.

They have both wooden and lightweight aluminum handles. The aluminum handles wouldn't be damaged by exposure to moisture and weather. There are several sources of WOLF-Garten garden tools here in the United States. Lowes home stores carry some of them. There are also online stores. For two pages of handles, see:

http://www.omygarden.com/index.php?menu=15

For six pages of garden tool heads, see:

http://www.omygarden.com/index.php?menu=11

For a sample of the Lowes offerings, see:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productList&catalogId=GARDEN_ACCESSORIES

WOLF-Garten has an introduction to their modular garden tool system at:

http://www.wolf-garden.com/public_uk/produkte/prod02a.hbs?article_id=967025460

I am using the "Interlocken" multi-change system, and plan to add some components to it next year. As a kid on the farm we did a lot of hoeing, and we modified our wooden hoes with aircraft aluminum tubes to make them lighter and smoother. The WOLF-Garten system improves on that.

-- Burton -- (not associated with any vendor mentioned)
MossRose
Albany, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2003
3:03 PM

Post #730779

Thanks Maineman,,,I'll visit all the links you gave. The older I get the lighter I want the tools; and being on the short side I've been known to shorten a hoe handle. Actually all my gardening tools are quite old and I feel they've lasted many years. Most of them could stand to be replaced completely, but I have one weeding hoe that's my favorite and I'd like a new handle for it. Holds an edge better than any tool I've ever had.

Thanks again.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America