-
AuthorContent
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2003
4:45 PM

Post #707592

This is one of 3 trees. they were just loaded this yr-sold 20 bushels! We have one tree that was the same as this-it got ran over and then half were this kind and half were a smaller yellow(like the kind when i was a child)this yr we still have half small yellows and now the other half were solid red and heart shaped-totally different from the originals!!! I just love that tree-ant the new plums are so tastey!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2003
5:32 PM

Post #707620

Man, those look luscious! That's the kind of fruit tree I want for my next yard.

Do you spray it, and if so, when and with what?
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2003
9:43 PM

Post #707855

I got some off shoots from a damson plum tree at a friend's house. Hope I can get some growing. But it will take me a few years to get the results you have pictured above. and really I guess damsons are more for jellies and jams.
What kind of plums are these?

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2003
10:42 PM

Post #707908

MMMMmmmmmmmm,they look soooo good,

I don't seem to have any luck with them...everytime I plant one someone runs it over or a creature eats eat...its my dream to have plums like that...
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2003
10:46 PM

Post #707916

I have no idea what kind they are-we got them FREE from myhusbands Uncle.

My Dh sprays them with Captain(fungiscide) and Imidan(is the bug killer)He sprays every seven -ten days depending on the weather.

Oh they were yummy to the tummy!
Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #3740640

Just ran across this post. Any recent pictures? Still growing strong? Thanks, Mike
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2007
2:53 AM

Post #3744797

My plums were toast from the April freeze...peaches too except a few late blooms.
Plums seem so prone to brown rot unless you have a good fungicide or something.
Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2007
1:13 PM

Post #3761875

Too bad. I am loosing a nectarine tree to something. Looks like brown rot from a picture I saw of the leaves, but the fruit does not look like the photos I saw. Such a wierd, wet year for Texas and not much time for spraying. Next year I probably will not do a garden so that I can concentrate more on the fruit trees.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2007
1:20 PM

Post #3761888

We have NO fruit on these trees this yr and are battling with a fungus that keeps coming back!! most of the fruit trees-peaches apricot and nectarines lost their blossoms this spring with a late frost!! next yr!!!!!!!!!!
Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2007
1:22 PM

Post #3768421

That is a shame. I printed off the picture of your plum tree and showed it to my wife. It looked so good. I read the description of brown rot again and am convinced that I have it. I guess that I need to prune off the pitted limbs and spray with a fungicide every ten days and hope for next year. Good luck to ya'll, Mike

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2007
6:28 PM

Post #3769551

I have a green gage plum that is young but has tons of fruit on it
I have no idea if green gage even taste good
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #3769728

Sympathies on the frost!

It got my cherries and plums, but the nectarines pulled through.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
5:17 PM

Post #3848185

Crestedchick, you probably know by now but green gage plums are one of the finest. Very, very sweet. I remember my mother saying how much she loved green gage plum jam. I have planted one but it isn't old enough to bear fruit yet. I hope it will be by next year, though.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #3849821

Nope,I don't know how they taste yet
They are all still green

do they stay green?
They are smaller than what ever plums are in the stores
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3850140

The plums in stores are probably Japanese plums.

Green Gage is a European plum, like a Stanley, the prune plum.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #3850250

does it turn purple?
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2007
2:45 AM

Post #3850291

Green gage plums do not turn purple, but when you taste them you won't mind. Green gage goes back centuries and has been prized for that long. For my taste, they are sweeter than Asian plums and better for eating raw. Asian plums are tart and good for cooking, preserves, etc. This is just me. I don't know what others thinks. But green gage is good for jam and other recipes too. It is just that it is sweet right off the tree. European plums that I know are all sweeter than Asian plums. But there is a use for tart plums in many recipes.
DigMontana
Libby, MT
(Zone 4b)

August 13, 2007
2:58 AM

Post #3850323

That is a beautiful plum tree! I wish I could reach through the computer and grab one.

I'm on a mission to find a real sweet yellow plum. I want yellow, since I already have 2 blue/purple. My Italian plum is delicious and loaded but not ready to pick yet. My other is a Stanley that I just planted last year. Does anyone know how Stanley taste? My apricot tree was loaded this year and I made 28 jars of jam. It hasn't produced much in the past because of freezes.

If anyone has a good recommendation for a yellow plum that you have tasted and like, please let me know. DM

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 13, 2007
3:05 AM

Post #3850343

Green Gage plums are at my supermarket right now and sell for $2 per lb. They have always been one of my favorites. I can only imagine how good they are when tree ripened.
NotMartha --- Wish you were my neighbor. They look fantastc!!! Then again we can't grow plums down here...
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2007
3:10 AM

Post #3850356

Shiro is a yellow plum, but it's a Japanese plum, it needs another Japanese plum for pollination.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2007
4:31 AM

Post #3850590

My county extension agent recommends Stanley plum after trials here in New Mexico. I haven't tried it, but if I find a place for another tree, Stanley may very well go there.
There is also a yellow gage plum which dates back to France a century or more ago. I think they are available at various mail order nurseries but I found one at Raintree:
http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/productdetails.cfm?ProductID=C055

This one is self fruitful. I suspect you will find yellow gage at other nurseries as well.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2007
12:41 PM

Post #3851073

Raintree is great!
DigMontana
Libby, MT
(Zone 4b)

August 15, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #3858240

LTilton and Pajaritomt: Thanks for the names of yellow plums. I will keep them in mind. The yellow gage sounds good tasting.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2007
2:49 PM

Post #3894822

Hi all you plum experts (and others too). I have 2 Japanese plums in pots, a Methley semi dwarf and a Stark Delicious dwarf. After our new house is built, they will be planted. We are in 7B, just N of Raleigh NC.
My real problem, I think, will be deer and rabbits. I know I'll have to spray fungicide and some moth killer (unless you organic folks have a suggestion).

Does anyone know if deer love plum trees ? A rabbit already ate some bark off the Methley while still in the pot. I want to know what fencing effort I will need to make.

All I know about plums now is the fun times eating the wild ones in Augusta GA when I was a kid (loooong ago).
Thanks,
Paul
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2007
3:13 PM

Post #3894943

yes deer do like plums!!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2007
3:15 PM

Post #3894955

I am not a plum expert, but I can tell you that deer do like plums. In fact they seem to like all the fruit trees that I know of except I am not sure about pears. They have never eaten my pears. My neighbors have two plum trees and the deer come through and eat leaves etc. Once the tree reaches a certain size, however they can't reach them any more. They get lots of plums from their trees even with the deer taking what they can reach. Maybe a deer fence would be in order until they get tall.
I looked up the Methely plum. Self fertile. Sounds like a great plum. Couldn't find much on the other one.
Don't know about spraying. We don't have to do much of that here in New Mexico.
cat64129
(Cathy), MO

August 24, 2007
4:32 PM

Post #3895283

I have a combination plum tree. Stanley and Shiro. Apparently the Stanley pollinates the yellow Shiro, cause I had 7 Shiros last year. (Just planted them the fall before) The freeze got them this year. But the Shiro was the most delicious plum I've ever eaten. So sweet!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2007
4:37 PM

Post #3895300

Glad to hear about the shiro being sweet. I have never tasted them, but I think of Japanese plums as being sour. But maybe that is only because of the ones they sell in the supermarket, probably picked too early.
cat64129
(Cathy), MO

August 24, 2007
6:07 PM

Post #3895652

I don't know about the rest of the Japanese plums, but Shiro is definately sweet. Can't wait until next year. Maybe I can get a bigger crop of them!
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2007
6:09 PM

Post #3895656

I don't think the Stanley can pollinate the Shiro, because one is a European plum and the other Asian.

Stanley is self fertile, and most Asian plums aren't - except for Shiro. But they say it will be better if there is another Asian plum.

Here is a pollination chart for Asian plums from Raintree. http://www.raintreenursery.com/pollination_plums_asian.htm

I got a 4-in-1 combination plum from this this year, and I've been defending it assiduously from the onslaught of the Japanese beetles, since there is only one branch of each variety. The idea is successive pollination of all varieties.

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2007
6:17 PM

Post #3895695

I have looked at those 4 in 1's but right now have only one green gage. I have a place which I may decide to use for plums later on. My neighbors across the street have an Asian plum which is badly in need of a pollinator, but I don't know if Shiro will do it. I'm not read to decide yet anyhow. So I keep researching possible replacements for a cherry tree I have which I think was too root bound when I bought it several years ago and doesn't look as if it is going to come out of it. Besides, I wouldn't mind having another plum, I already have 2 cherries in addition to the non-growing one.
I have a 4 in one pear which is doing well, but it takes forever for a pear tree to bear.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2007
7:24 PM

Post #3895907

I t hink the combos are a good idea for people with limited room for trees, because you can get your cross-pollination on a single trrunk. But I also have a plumcot that ought to pollinate plums, altho isn't supposed to bear here because it's too cold - except that I'm counting on global warming.

Shiro is one of the varieties on my combo tree, and I'm looking forward to it.
cat64129
(Cathy), MO

August 24, 2007
7:35 PM

Post #3895937

Where do most of you get your combination trees? Order them online or at a nursery?
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2007
8:13 PM

Post #3896035

I only have this one combo plum, ordered it online from Raintree.
cat64129
(Cathy), MO

August 24, 2007
8:36 PM

Post #3896104

I ordered 3 combos from Stark Bros. A 2 in 1 plum, 2 in 1 pear and a 5 in 1 apple. I've ordered trees and berries from them for several years. Always get good products
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3896125

I've also ordered from Stark's, but Raintree has varieties that Stark's doesn't.
cat64129
(Cathy), MO

August 24, 2007
9:51 PM

Post #3896366

I know. I ordered a mini apple tree from Raintree this spring. Put it in a big pot on the deck and it's doing great. I'm thinking I may get another variety next spring. I need to buy stock in these mail order companies, as much as I order!!!
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #3896601

Raintree's customer service is also great - they'll tell you if a given variety isn't a good fit for the other side of the country.

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #3897174

I have bought trees from Stark's but I do prefer the selection at Raintree. They really scout for good trees for home growers. I got my 4 in 1 pear from Raintree. Another good one is Bay Laurel Nurseries in California. I get most of my info from the Seed Savers' Exchange's Fruit and Nut Inventory.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

September 4, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #3935567

Let me add my voice to the Shiro crowd. It is a WONDERFUL plum. One place described it as ridiculously juicy! Provide towels or bibs - otherwise it ends up on your chin and your clothing.

I have two Shiros - and they are only marginally self-fruitful. As others have noted, it really needs a pollinator. I will be getting one this year. It is so worthwhile!!!!!!!
DigMontana
Libby, MT
(Zone 4b)

September 4, 2007
7:42 PM

Post #3936743

It is good to hear from someone who already has one. I am leaning toward Shiro. I have an Italian and a Stanley. Do you think they would be good pollinators for Shiro? When in the season are they ready to eat? I'm looking for an early yellow that is sweet. Not asking for much (smile). DM
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

September 4, 2007
7:55 PM

Post #3936774

I only know that Santa Rosa is the pollinator I will be seeking. You would have to check the pollinator lists to find out about Stanley. They are ready about the second week in August - and they are just nothing but yummy. I suspect they are not found in the marketplace because they are pretty soft when they are ripe. Handling those would be a real problem.

HTH
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #3937667

To pollinate your Shiro you need another Asian plum. Stanley and other European plums are usually self-fertile, but they won't pollinate your Shiro.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #3937970

One of the many reasons for growing your own fruit at home is that many time honored and delicious varieties are not available in stores or even in a lot of Farmers' Markets. I have never seen Shiro in a store, nor have I seen Green Gage. The same is true of many, many wonderful fruits. How many stores sell crabapples of any kind? A hundred years ago, families had fruit trees and canned and preserved many fruits for winter. Nowadays we plant the kind of trees that produce beautiful flowers and little or no fruit. I agree cleaning up the fallen fruit can be a problem, but I would hate to live without some of these varieties which have become unusual.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #3938098

I always wonder at the people who have fruit trees in their yards and just let the fruit fall and rot on the groumd. Such a waste.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3938151

I wonder about them, too, especially since around here the fallen fruits attract bears. If we don't use them, we'd best gather them up, compost them and/or take them to the dump or to the local wildlife center which uses them to rehab injured bears getting ready for hibernation.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

September 5, 2007
3:04 AM

Post #3938425

I have an Italian Plum tree, also - and the deer keep the area pretty clean - ditto some totally worthless apples. If a bear shows up, things are going to change!!!! Yikes!!!!!!!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2007
3:14 AM

Post #3938453

If you don't have bears in the area, no worry. If you do, eat the plums and clean up the ones that the deer don't eat.
Bears aren't threating to humans, normally, but they can do stupid things like try to climb the tree and break it or leave giant piles in your patio or yard. If they are really hungry they can try to break into your house and can even open your fridge!
But don't worry about them if they aren't common in your area.
Betty
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2007
3:49 AM

Post #3938553

I keep the fallen fruit picked up to cut down on the worms that might still be in it.

Here, we've only got squirrels and raccoons, and I don't really begrudge them the windfalls, but they get into the trees and ruin more fruit than they eat.

wannadanc
Olympia, WA

September 5, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #3939383

I have some adorable photos of the raccoons - mom and 3 kits - up in the Italian plum tree - picking the ones I couldn't reach. On the other hand, my brother who lives in the Midwest would never describe raccoons as adorable, for there he has had to replace the roof after raccoons ripped their way under the shingles - more than once!
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2007
1:56 PM

Post #3939549

The only west coast raccoon I ever saw was hardly bigger than a cat.

The ones we have here are hulking beasts of massive size. We had one rip its way into our attic that way. I can't keep fish in my small patio pond because of them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fruits and Nuts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Fruit Trees forum! dave 36 Feb 14, 2008 2:20 PM
spraying trees notmartha 18 Mar 29, 2009 1:52 PM
Anyone have PawPaw fruit? crestedchik 67 Feb 29, 2008 2:08 AM
Strawberry Predator? TuttiFrutti 2 Aug 17, 2008 3:59 PM
Celeste fig cuttings flyboyFL 12 Apr 16, 2009 11:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America