Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: Starting brugs, need help

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 10, Views: 243
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2001
12:57 AM

Post #5748

I bought two starts, and got a lovely huge (1 1/2 ft) one in a trade. I've read about them growing better in the ground. If I do put them in the ground (I did), can I take them up in the fall? I live in zone 7, and I think maybe they are hardy here, but want more advice. Oh, for just one lovely bloom:)
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2001
1:04 AM

Post #79231

Good ?? tiG! I just asked about this on one of the threads.
meplant
kelso, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2001
4:39 AM

Post #79268

I grow mine in pots and overwinter them in a greenhouse...I live in zone 7 too...I haven't put any in the ground..I've been kinda scared!!..I love my brugs..I've only been growing them for a couple years..Sure wished I had some of those really pretty ones..(mine are pretty though!!)...I have white ones, charles gilbaldi, and an unknown one (it hasn't bloomed yet)...I'd like to hear from others in zone 7...what do you guys do??...meplant :) :)
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2001
11:29 AM

Post #79318

I left 8 in the ground last year and 6 of them came back. We are in zone 7a/6b and our winter was pretty bad last year. I mulched with leaves and left them on till March. I took cuttings and brought them into the greenhouse just in case.
I will have rooted cuttings at the party in August!!
Calalily
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2001
3:43 AM

Post #79572

tiG and meplant, I planted a rooted cutting in the ground last year and it did great and grew larger than the potted ones(NC zone 7). I got brave, (I had more of this one growing in pots) and decided to leave it to see if it would survive. I took cuttings and covered it with lots of pine straw and piled on the trimmings from the Christmas tree. It survived just fine and has sent up 2 stems which are about 1'tall now. I wasn't so brave with my only white one..so, it was dug and potted to spend the winter in the basement.

Jean
meplant
kelso, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2001
3:59 AM

Post #79579

Call me a scared, but maybe I'll try growing one I have more of in the ground...I do keep mine watered well and fertilized all season long..They grow wonderful and smell so so good...I appreciate hearing how others grow them...Maybe I can trade someone something for a different variety??...
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2001
9:12 PM

Post #79859

Dave, can you move this to the new forum??
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 8, 2001
5:49 PM

Post #81511

Hey, if I can grow them in-ground, you can!! I live in zone 4...only thing is...I have to dig mine up(they would never survive our winters!)...what a chore, as they got HUGE!!!! If you do grow in ground, by the time fall arrives you'll have nice woody stems to take plenty of cuttings from *just in case* the plant doesn't survive the winter...If you decide to dig up you can cut back the plant and the roots as well (the root system also gets huge!)You'll likely be able to get cuttings from your in-ground plant that are the size of the plant you have now!! The woody cuttings root the best.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

June 11, 2001
2:53 PM

Post #82248

I have noticed that potted seedlings take much longer than Brugmansia in the ground to flower for the first time. Planted in the ground, seedlings bloom for the first time in 7-9 months, if in pots, they bloom in 2-3 years. My suggestion for those up north who grow seedlings or hybridize, grow and overwinter in the greenhouse, plant in the ground come spring/summer and get those blooms the first year instead of waiting for 3 years for a bloom on a seedling. You can always take many cuttings of the ones you like and root these for inside the green house. You can also start seeds on your hybrids and take branch cuttings and bring those seed pods inside to ripen. As a general rule though, its best to have a few seed bearers in the green house all year long. I got bit last year by an early freeze and lost my seed pods here in florida. Now I am keeping a few in the green house, but the vast majority of my seed bearers are still in the ground.
Brugmansia can be easy to root from extremely green cuttings or extremely hard to root from woody cuttings. It depends on the individual hybrid and the level of experience one has with Brugmansia. I have killed many different types/hybrids of Brugmansia myself. As a general rule, if the hybrid forms white bumps on its trunk when it is crowded, its an extremely easy variety to root in the water, in the soil, or even to root green cuttings with.
Hope this helps,
Brugmansia

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America