-
AuthorContent
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2003
1:17 PM

Post #714708

Hi, I just joined and I am crazy about my two greyhound. Tori and Heidi. I know everyone is crazy about their dogs but I find that Greyhound lovers tend to be NUTS about them. Any other Greyhound nuts out there? Tell us about your couch potatoes!
Tina
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2003
1:59 PM

Post #714736

No greyhounds here, but I have met many at the lure coursing trials we go to. They are such sweet dogs. We have afghan hounds that we course. A good friend of mine has one that was rescued from the track. My vet heads up a local track rescue group. Tell us about your two.
Deb
PS We love pics here, too!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2003
6:28 PM

Post #714894

Welcome to DG, Mobi! We have a greyhound mix (Emma) and a beagle/chow mix (Sarah), and we're crazy about them both. Here's pictures: http://gallery.gardenwife.com/dogs/
And more: http://davesgarden.com/j/vbc/gardenwife/6315/ (We don't have Buddy the beagle any more).

Do you have pictures of Tori and Heidi? We'd love to see your babies!
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2003
9:48 PM

Post #714992

I'll have to upload pics. I love Greyhounds and I was able to adopt when dh and I bought our house 5 years ago. My Tori is the boss of the animal kingdom in our household. I also have 3 cats. Shes, 6 1/2 now and has arthritis. she only raced 3 races and came in last in all of them. LOL Heidi nearly won her 4 races but stopped when the crowd started cheering. Both of mine are extremely shy. My dh and don't have kids so we purposely adopted the shiest ones. They are more difficult to place and we have a quiet home. Heidi is a clown but is deathly afraid of all men (except DH, who is the number 1 love of her life).
They are so well mannered, quiet and easy to take care of:
Their day consists of:
Go out in the morning - come in and wag tails until cookies are given
Sleep
eat a little and drink water
sleep
cookie and belly rub
sleep
sleep
sleep
get excited when dad comes home.
get cookie
play for about 10 minutes
go out
sleep
kick mom out of bed to take her place
sleep
just when all the lights are out bark to be let outside!
sleep
I swear they are easier to take care of than my cats. And they are SO sweet.
My mother liked mine so much she adopted one 6 months ago and says it's the best thing she has ever done for herself.
Most people think that they need a lot of exersize but as you can see their favorite thing to do is sleep. My mom lives in a condo and they make the best pets for apts and condos. They rarely bark, are smart and are so loving. They get along great with cats and other animals. My Heidi adores kittens! She likes to mommy them. My mother also has a cat and he loves to beat her poor grey. He just smacks her on the forhead. But she loves him so much she thinks it's a form of affection!
Mobi
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2003
2:22 AM

Post #715100

You're so right, greyhounds are sprinters and once they've had their little fit of energy, they're slugs! Our friends have a retired racer they adopted; we have puppy play dates with them since their yard's fenced-in. They have a grand time with Dan! The journal entries for Puppy Play Date show Dan and them playing.

Emma likes to chew on two of our cats, but never old Elliott, our Siamese. Neither dog bothers Elliott, which is nice for the old guy. Higgins will take so much, then leap and put his paws around Emma's neck while biting whatever's closest. Hattie puts up with a lot of gnawing and knitting, making a fuss, but apparantly not disliking the attention enough to flee.

And she'll curl up right next to either dog and sleep, so she obviously doesn't dislike them. :)
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2003
6:31 PM

Post #716213

When we moved here in July 1996 we had 4 greyhounds...the name of the property is Greyhound Run. I loved them soooo much!! 2 were retired racers. Sadly they have all gone to Rainbow Bridge and are buried out front in our memory garden.

We had 1 litter of pups...all sold/given away as pets. Got one back..thought he had gone to a good home,but my "friend" abused him. Ended up having to have a front leg amputated..didn't slow him down any.

My DS got a pup that was sired by my Caeser..mom was lab/chow mix. Maya is now with us. She looks so much like her daddy!!

The picture is of Pooh the 3 legged wonder kid and Hannibul.

Thumbnail by Ginger_H
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2003
2:57 AM

Post #716604

Your Pooh looks a lot like my Tori. We had a plumber come out today and what do ya know, He's got a greyhound too! They are the sweetest things, how could anybody abuse such sweethearts!. Both mine were track dogs of large corporations so really didn't get any attention for the first 2 years of their lives and both are deathly afraid of men! My DH is the only male they adore. I call him an honorary female. LOL. As long as I can, I'll always have a Grey (or 3) in my life! These dogs were meant for me!

Here is Tori and Miss Gizzy. For you greyhound lovers you know that that is a grin not "Breakfast in Bed"!

Thumbnail by Mobi

Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2003
3:05 AM

Post #716611

Here's Heidi in MY bed, her head on MY pillow!

Thumbnail by Mobi

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2003
3:13 AM

Post #716616

What (spoiled) beauties! :D
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2003
3:14 AM

Post #716618

And here's My Mom's dog, Abbie over for a play date. She's only two and has too much energy for my pups.
"She was fun, but can she go home now?"

Thumbnail by Mobi

Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2003
5:36 AM

Post #716663

Gardenwife,
Your emma is so cute, like alittle gentler grey! You just want to give her kisses. I love the three in one chair!
Mobi
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2003
7:15 PM

Post #717071

Hi Mobi and all;

We adopted a retired racer 2 years ago. We took our belly dragger, Baby, with us to make the selection at the rescue place. Since the new dog was to be companion to Baby, we thought she ought to have a say in the decision. Baby is a Hurricane Andrew rescue puppy so she is 11 now and Snowy is 7 1/2. Snowy sneaks on the couch when she thinks we aren't looking. HaHa, we put a doggy blanket on the sofa, just in case. We're not so stupid. They both lay about all day, Baby is on a diet food and Snowy is on High Protein. Lord Forbid they should get their feed mixed up. We also have 3 parrots, guppy's in tank in house & still pond outside and fountain pond outside with goldfish.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2003
7:17 PM

Post #717073

And they talk about greyhounds being couch potatoes? Find the dog in this one.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2003
7:39 PM

Post #717082

I don't think I've ever seen a Greyhound that color before. She is beautiful and Baby seems pretty happy. My two are allowed on all the furniture except the living room couch (otherwise, us humans would be sitting on the floor). Our sofa is backed up to the front window. Last summer, DH and I were doing work in the front yard and of course the two pups couldn't come to help as it is not fenced. But I look up to the window to see Heidi looking down at me from the top of the couch! I couldn't stop laughing!.

Both my girls love pillows to lay their heads on. From your picture I think all Grey's do!
Mobi
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 24, 2003
7:40 PM

Post #717083

MOLLY, what a great picture. If she had her eyes closed you would never find her! My furbabies are at the opposite end of the totem pole, miniture Dachunds, but this thread is making me want to add a Greyhound to the mix!
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2003
9:34 PM

Post #717150

You're right,Mobi,Tori does look like Pooh! Heidi looks like Maya who looks like her dad,Caeser. The only part of her that doesn't look greyhound is her tongue..she has the chow tongue. And Abbie's face reminds me of Brindle except that Brin was darker. I would love to have another greyhound,but the 5 spoiled brats we have now put enough of a dent in my checkbook.

We have 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks,Maya,Bear(mom was yellow lab mix and dad was a "traveling man") and D*O*G who was a stray..we figure he is catahula leopard/pit bull terrier mix. In no way do we own any one of them...they all own us and rule the house. LOL
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2003
10:09 PM

Post #717180

Snowy is a brindle and she is a little on the small side. Your's look larger than mine and their coloring is very distinct. I love Heidi's collar. They've got to have their blankey's, pillows and their toys.

Have to be careful grey hounds don't get away. Snowy is fast. If she manages to slip away from us I learned not to chase her. I squat down on my haunches and call her back to me. IF I chased, she would run too fast. And both my dogs have to walk in the gardens. I put up a little fence barrier to keep them out, Snowy gets in. And my gardens are not even in their favorite places. Go figure. They are sweethearts tho. Very verbal when they want dinner or to go outside. We have made Snowy into a boating dog. In the beginning she was scared to death. Now, you have to spell boat if you don't want to take them, and even so they still know what we're talking about. Too smart. LOL

Pati;

YOu should get one, your dachunds will be able to keep up and they would be great companions.

Molly
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2003
12:08 AM

Post #717256

My dh and I have to spell around our Grey's too.LOL
w-a-l-k
c's for cookies
a for Abbie, My Mom's Grey. If we say her name they'll keep going to the front door to wait for her. Even so they are starting to catch on to the code's!
I got Heidi's and Tori's (even though you can't see it) at Mrs. Bones

http://www.mrsbones.com/index2.html

Really, too expensive but... you know how it is.
My pups also have their blankey's. I never knew dogs like to lay with their head on a pillow and be covered up with a blanket!
Mobi
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2003
7:49 AM

Post #717456

Oops...I duped. See next post.

This message was edited Nov 25, 2003 3:51 AM

Thumbnail by gardenwife

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2003
7:50 AM

Post #717457

This thread is making me grin from ear to ear! That picture of Snowy on the couch is a hoot - she's got good couch camouflage. I notice she stretches her rear legs waaay up when she lies down, just like our Emma does.

She was snuggled behind me in this chair, and when I got up I saw how weirdly she was squeezed in that spot!

Thumbnail by gardenwife

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2003
7:52 AM

Post #717458

Look at those long legs!

Thumbnail by gardenwife

Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2003
3:47 PM

Post #717768

Interesting but trivial info about Greyhounds:
They are the only dog mentioned in the Bible.

At one time in England, only the aristocracy could own them.

Around this same time in England, the punishment for killing a Greyhound was death.

Spaniards brought Greys with them to the New World.

U.S. Calvary used Greyhounds to spot Native Americans on the plains.

Mobi
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 25, 2003
5:20 PM

Post #717827

That is very interesting Mobi, Thank you...Molly
Jenks
Social Circle, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2003
9:16 PM

Post #720246

Mobi-Where'd you get Heidi's collar? I have been searching for just such a collar for my new doggie. I was looking for a Rhinestone one, but there are no cool ones for large dogs. Gorgeous puppers btw!

We have to spell around here too! If I even put shoes on, Max will start running from me to the door and back!
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2003
9:29 PM

Post #720252

Here's the link for the collars:

here's what tori's collar looks like:

http://www.mrsbones.com/index2.html

Thumbnail by Mobi

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2003
10:05 PM

Post #720285

They're beautiful collars! Wow, wish they weren't so spendy, but I can see why they are.
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2003
1:26 AM

Post #720429

Yeah, they are expensive! I debated on it for 3 years before I decided to spend the money. Heidi's collar with moons and stars has held up really well. The metallic thread on Tori's not so well but the collar itself is of excellent quality. I was not disappointed.
FYI
Mobi
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2003
4:00 PM

Post #720829

They sure are pretty!! Guess I need to buy the winning lottery ticket!
Jenks
Social Circle, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2003
8:46 PM

Post #721001

WOW-perfect! Now I can get them what I wanted to get them for Christmas! I had been considering trying my hand at it!
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2003
10:57 PM

Post #721081

If any of you are feeling 'crafty' there are instructions for making martingale type collars at this website;
http://www.greyhoundmanor.com/pat/collar/collar.html
I haven't tried to make one, but we do use this type of collar on our 'kids'.
Deb
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2003
11:46 PM

Post #721142

That site is great momcat. I've been using these types of collars for my other dog for years. And I have friends that use them on their goldies. It's a "soft" choke for gentle training for the animals. (I have never liked the idea of choke chains.)
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2003
11:54 PM

Post #721149

Most sighthounds need Martingale collars as their heads are smaller than their necks. They are gentle.
Mobi
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2003
1:03 AM

Post #721173

I love the other templates and designs the lady has on that site -- wow! The greyhound skirt pattern (like a poodle skirt) is a hoot.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2003
12:00 AM

Post #723324

Here is my Edie Grace--Race name Burning Flame, rescued from a track in Birmingham Alabama. I got her the day after mothers day, 2000. She's 8 years old.

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2003
12:13 AM

Post #723331

Melissa, She's beautiful. I see she thinks she's a horse too, lays down front feet first. My Snowy does that too.
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2003
12:29 AM

Post #723335

Melissa, I didn't know you had a greyhound! She is gorgeous! My dh and I got ours in 1999.
Molly, Grey's are a lot like cats. They stretch the same way and they walk the same way, not like other dogs.
Tori's race name was Clifton Adriana
Heidi's race name was Jaaz Peewee
Here's a link to see their brothers and sisters and some link to races. You can also enter info on your dog.
http://www.greyhound-data.com/

Mobi
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2003
12:37 AM

Post #723341

She bows... LOL she is so funny. Whenever our Dobes pass on, we'll have another, I'm sure. When we adopted her, they told us that Greys were like potato chips, can't have just one... I agree, but we just don't have room. She's the largest female they'd ever seen, she weighs 85 pounds and is TALL... Ben, the male that I brought back for a gentleman in Dayton was half Edie's size. :-)

I drove to Charleston WV to pick them up. The transport was going on to Cleveland, and that was the closest stop to me. I picked up Edie and Ben.

I was planning on changing her name to Grace... so I started calling her Edie Grace so she'd get used to it... it stuck.

They told me when I got her that Grey's wouldn't recall? She does... they also told me that she would hate men... she loves my hubby. She prefers me, but she adores him too. She's shy too, but not "too" shy, if that makes any sense?

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio

Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2003
1:00 AM

Post #723367

Absolutely makes sense. Both mine are super shy but my mom's is much more social. None of them hate men but they are all cautious around them. Of course all three love DH. Tori prefers me and Heidi is totally IN love with dh. She's more afraid of men than Tori, but she loves her guy!
Edie Grace IS a big girl. Tori weighs about 62lbs, and Heidi is smaller.
They are the best dogs. People don't realize that they also make great apartment pets. All they really need is a comfy bed and lots of love. My mom lives in a condo and she says that this is the perfect dog for her. She has problems with her mobility and Abbie has no stamina, so they go for short walks everyday. LOL. Talk about how dogs and their humans look alike. NOT in this case. My mom is a rather short, large person and she has this sleek athlete for her pet. I have to laugh, they look so different. But this dog is crazy about her and vice versa.
At first she worried if this dog might be too big for her, but after she got her, she realized that size didn't matter. She is less work than most dogs have her size and they have such close bonds with their humans.
I think they are the perfect dog for people with problems walking or people who need lots of rest. About 80% of their time, these dogs are sleeping!
Mobi
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2003
2:30 AM

Post #723444

Oh, Melissa, I didn't know you have a Grey, either! She's a beautiful girl - I love brindle dogs. One of Emma's littermates was a brindle with white and the other was mostly tan; I wish we could have adopted them all! http://davesgarden.com/j/si/23092/
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2003
7:01 AM

Post #724990

More interesting info on Greyhounds
from http://www.greyhoundpets.org.au/id33.htm

Greyhounds are sensitive to some chemicals. They must have special anaesthetics when undergoing surgery and they cannot wear flea collars.

Greyhounds are usually found standing or lying down, they find it uncomfortable to sit. Some say it is because their tail is so stiff which
doesn't allow him to sitproperly - and some say that it is just uncomfortable for them to take the sit position.

People that are allergic to dogs, usually find that they do not suffer the same discomfort with a Greyhound.

In 1804, Australia issued a proclamation ordering the destruction of all dogs EXCEPT greyhounds and sheepdogs.

Because of their low body fat and short coat, a greyhound has very little - if any "doggy smell".

Greyhounds are the oldest pure bred dog

Mobi

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2003
10:21 AM

Post #725004

That good information. I'd remembered seeing a couple years ago on Animal Planet how they're also highly valued as blood donors. I looked and found this link: http://www.forgreyhounds.org/
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2003
3:34 PM

Post #725228

Thanks for the link.
Can you tell I'm nutty about my dogs?
I think I need a life. LOL
Mobi
sierrawoman
Honor, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2003
3:11 AM

Post #726463

I have always loved Greyhounds and have always wanted to rescue one (or two!). I almost did when we lived in Kalamazoo for four years, but we already had 2 dogs and I knew it wouldn't be fair to any of them...someday though, I will have one! I always seem to get stuck at the pound though, and end up with a pound mutt!! They are all so beautiful--thanks for sharing them!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

August 21, 2006
8:59 PM

Post #2645237

thanks for this thread. Recently, I lost my female malamute, named Sylvia because she was found lost in a wooded area. (sylvan=wooded) She was the first face I saw in the morning and the last face I saw at night for ten years or so. I needed a friend for my male chow mix, and I needed a friend for me! After, looking at shelters, and having friends searching for me, I finally found a puppy. She was in a pile of puppies available for adoption at the animal shelter in Demopolis, Alabama. While all the other puppies were yipping and acting silly, this little brown puppy looked me straight in the eye.
She was my dog. She was only as big as one one my hands. No one knew what kind of dog she might be.

Thanks to this thread, I learned that my dog is a greyhound! So elegant and graceful. Now she is almost grown. Her name is Emma. Thanks for this thread.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2006
9:26 PM

Post #2645343

Gloria,

Thanks for reviving this thread. I had forgot it was on my watched list.

We talked here a little bit about collars. I do prefer the "soft" choke collars for my dogs. Never to be mean, only as a gentle reminder to walk easy.

In May 2004 we went to the Tenn. Roundup at Nathlyn's house. We took my two dogs. I was very concerned that Snowy would get off her collar. Since a greyhound head is smaller that her neck a simple collar doesn't guarantee control. One step backwards and the dog could pull out of the collar and be away.

I decided a full halter would do the trick. I found one at the local pet store, had the store keep help me get it on her and she has worn it ever since.

The only drawback was, for a period of 3 months she had to go on a line outside the house until we could get our new fence up. There was a couple times that she was able to walk out of her halter, but only when her lead got stuck on a rootball in the ground.

She wears that halter still, and we never felt the need to put her on the regular collar again. She's been with us for 3 1/2 years now, was a former race dog, and is now 10 1/2 years old.

The Great Dane is Lexy, a day on the gulf.

Molly
:^))))

Thumbnail by MollyMc

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2006
9:30 PM

Post #2645356

What a refreshingly wonderful photo. Beautiful dogs! Thanks for sharing.

Don
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2006
3:57 PM

Post #2647911

Mmmm, a swim with the dogs sounds fun. Gloria, how about some pictures?
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

August 22, 2006
4:42 PM

Post #2648075

My dog Emma looks just like Mobi's dog, Heidi on her pillow in the picture (above). Emmas favorite trick is to jump with her two front feet into a large bowl of water and let her rip! Then she laughs--as close as a dog gets to laughing. I guess she is trying to swim, but doesn't have enough water. I wonder if these dogs were water dogs in the past.

Emma's silhouette is elegant, like she should have a jeweled collar, and maybe an Egyptian princess in tow. I notice Heidi is wearing such a collar.

Sorry, I dont have a camera to take pictures. I will have to get one. I learned these furry friencs dont last as long as we do. They give us moments to treasure.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2006
5:26 PM

Post #2648228

Gloria,

Even tho greyhounds were not born and bred for "water racing", they have the genes for swimming. Check the webbed feet out.

Once Snowy got over the fear of being on a power poat and the water thing, she loved it and looked forward to boating and swimming.

Molly
:^))))
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

August 22, 2006
5:57 PM

Post #2648311

Hey. I noticed Emma's feet were not like regular paws. Ah. Ha. They are webbed. Also, she has oily fur. I understand water dogs have that to protect their skin when they are in the water.

One thing I have learned, she has got to be let loose to RUN every day. Oh Please. Oh Please. she says, by bowing flat to the floor. I dont dare let my chow loose, he will be gone for days, harassing the goats next door. And he has no sense about going in the road. He was already hit when he was a puppy and had surgery before I got him. The owners let me have him because he was a run-a-way dog. He still is.

But Emma, takes off on her regular tour. Stopping by the rabbit cage to say hello to George and Henry. Down around the greenhouses. Then back home. Yeah. Yeah. Here I am.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2006
7:44 PM

Post #2648621

Our Emma's paws are webbed, too. They were bred for running across sand, so the webs make sense. They're such gorgeous doggies. We have a fenced-in dog park in the next town over...Our saving grace!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2006
8:12 PM

Post #2648689

Even though the greyhounds that you and I have today were born and raised to race at the track, historically, that was not their main lot in life.

The greyhound is an ancient breed of dog that can be traced back to Egypt, Persia and the Middle East. It is one of the purest breeds, as for centuries, greyhounds were bred to hunt by sight and by running out their prey. They hunt over ground and in water, hence the webbed feet.

They can and do retrieve the prey that was brought down by the hunter or by the animal. Their mouths are made to carry the prey without mutilating it, between their incisors and molars.

My Snowy has brought down rats, snakes and even a possum (or so she thought.) She will stand perfectly still for a very long time when she "hears" her prey. She waits until the animal shows itself, kills it short and fast and carries the prey back to the house.

The instinct is still there even though she spent 4-5 years chasing a mechanical rabbit around a track.

:^)))

The above information was provided by a Greyhound adoption agency formed to save Greyhounds from euthanasia.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

August 22, 2006
9:11 PM

Post #2648827

My Emma loves to run and hide in the grass by lying very still and flat--then pounce. She is biting at my shins (OW) and at my pants legs. She latches on to roscoe (the black chow) also to the point of being obnoxious. I was thinking this biting has got to stop. Maybe, it is just as you say an ancient hunting instinct. Is there any way to get her to stop hunting my shins?

We do have one of the largest dog tracks in the country here at Greene Track at Eutaw Alabama. I wonder if the track accounts somehow for my greyhound puppy showing up at the animal shelter? Except, for being "hunted" I have enjoyed sharing the puppyhood of this dog. But, as for any adoptee I wonder what her mom was like and how she came to be where I found her at the shelter.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2006
8:04 PM

Post #2652345

My Edie Grace killed several small deer that made the mistake of venturing into the fenced in yard... in fact, any small animal that came into that area of the yard, she killed. She learned that the cats were not to be touched though... she learned a lot of things that they told us she'd never learn when we got her, recall being one of them. She got out a few times, and each time my heart went to my throat thinking she'd never be back, but each time, it only took me calling her name a couple of times, and she'd come racing back to me.

One day I might have another greyhound... but I don't think any would ever hold a place in my heart like Edie Grace did, I still miss her so much, and she's been gone almost a year. It hurt to much to even post when it happened... she had a heart attack. The vet could do nothing for her, she died within minutes of bringing her back home.

I'm going to "unwatch" this thread now... as much as I love seeing your babies, it's painful to remember the one I don't have anymore. :-(
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2006
9:24 PM

Post #2682693

MollyMc,

If you ever want to go back to a regular collar, you'll need a Martingale. They are made for dogs with heads smaller than their necks. You can't find them in stores, you have to mail order them. I get them from two places. For plain ones, I go through my adoption group, you can mailorder from them. Under premier collars at about 6 dollars is a bargain

http://www.cgashop.com/

for really fancy ones I get mine at Mrs. Bones (expensive) but they last and are well made.
http://www.mrsbones.com/category_s/1.htm

Alas, I also have bad news. Our vet confirmed that our Emma (13 1/2 year old greyhound) is out of remission. Her lymphoma has returned. We knew this would happen and she has been in remission for and amazing 22 months (nearly unheard of). We decided not to go with chemo again. She has been having trouble getting up and won't use the stairs anymore, due to an old back injury and to lift her into our jeep hurts her. If we did chemo we would have to do that each week and I just don't want to put her through that at her age and at this stage. We did put her on prednisone to slow the cancer but the doc has given her about a month before she won't want to do anything. She has been an angel but her age is showing now and we feel lucky to have had the time we did.

We adopted her at age 11 so we knew we wounldn't have too much time, we were lucky to have her for the 2 1/2 years we did.

gloria, we need a picture of your Emma!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2006
9:40 PM

Post #2682744

Oh, doggone it. I'm sorry to hear Emma's had a recurrance. :(
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2006
10:09 PM

Post #2682809

Mobi, Thanks for the collar tips.

I am so sorry to hear about your Emma. I know how difficult this must be. Our thoughts and prayers are with both of you.
Molly
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 2, 2006
1:57 AM

Post #2683492

My Emma looks exactly like Mobi's Heidi near the top of the thread. As I mentioned above, Emma loves to run. But just after someone mentioned the greyhound's "quick kill" instinct, Emma attacked and killed one of my rabbits. (He died after a few days of being paralyzed with his head crushed. ) I'm having a hard time dealing with this. Now she is on a tie out.
Yes, I know rabbits are "lunch" to dogs, who are not vegetarian like me. Maybe time will lead me to a new relationship with her. I believe when you adopt a dog, it is a lifetime commitment, so somehow we will work this out.
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2006
8:57 AM

Post #2684142

It is not recommended that greyhounds be on a tie out or a long leash. The reason being that the can run so fast at such a short time they can break their necks or injure themselves.

Here's a link,

http://www.nlga-mn.org/greyhoundFAQ.htm

My greyhounds live with 2 cats so they can be trained not injure small animals. I am sorry about your rabbit.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 2, 2006
1:59 PM

Post #2684472

Mobi: My you get up early! Thank you so much for the information on greyhounds. I have owned a lot of dogs in my years: pekes, collies, a real coyote, a louisiana catahoula, a malamute, and my male chow mix. But this greyhound has been a challenge. She is probably most like the coyote--who would not stop killing my boyfriends prize bantum roosters and stealing my neighbor's bikini underwear off her closeline. O.K. I hope Im not too old to learn to be a greyhound owner. Thanks again for reminding me these are special dogs--I have as much to learn as she does.
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2006
9:50 PM

Post #2685570

Your Emma must still be young. I have a 3 year old, a 9 year old and a 13 1/2 year old and find that young one is into everything. They really mellow as they age. Some greyhounds have a high prey instinct. Some don't. My cats found out that if they run outside they will be chased. They NEVER run now, My 3 year old LOVES to groom our cats and for awhile they smell like dog breath.

Another thing you might want to know is that the greyhound will rarely fight back if attacked by another type dog. No one really knows why and other dogs seem to know this and will go after them.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 2, 2006
10:31 PM

Post #2685651

Mobi: Right now it seems to be the other way around with my male chow. He is kind of a wuss anyway, but he will not cross her path. If she can get to him, she will clomp onto his ear or a piece of fur until he looks like he badly needs to go to the groomer. (o.k. that would be me.) She would do the same to my shins: crouch, and attack. Teeth marks in my pants legs. I do hope she grows out of this soon. She is sceduled to be spade next week. Maybe that will help. And she is still a puppy--may not even be quite full grown from the pictures that are posted here.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 13, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5547404

Nope. She didn't grow out of it. She still bites my heels and shins when she gets excited. She bites at the chow, too. He just gets out of her way.

Anybody got a solution for greyhound breath?

Ive read that this breed is especially prone to tarter build up on their teeth.

And little Emma does have powerful breath!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #5547695

Gloria,

This thread is watched and came as a surprise to me popping up.

My Snowy is still hanging in there going beyond the expected life time of the G'hound. Bad breath? You ain't kidding. When they are racing they are fed soft food which builds up a lot of tarter during those years.

We are the second home for Snowy after the track. I think her other owners probably fed her the soft food. But I was determined to put her on dry with a bit of water. Still...hasn't helped the tarter build up.

They say "Greenies" help the problem. They are expensive considering that she chews them up quicker than you can blink an eye.

Last year I had her to the Vet for a full exam. She has glaucoma in one eye and is blind there and has a heart murmer. She wanted to get $800.00 to put her out to clean the tarter from her teeth. Ya gotta be kidding!!!!! At her age, with a heart problem, anesthesia? We will forgive her the bad breath and love her til she runs out of time. Dixie licks Snowy's breath, like it will heal her.

Last year we had a Siberian Husky move in on us. The energy demon. Took the heat off the cat, so Snowy rarely thinks of attacking the cat, and has to put Dixie in her place when she becomes too annoying.

So yall say a Greyhound won't defend herself? Wait til she gets old and crochety...she sure will!!!! When Snowy has had enough of Dixie the Siberian maniac, she will show all those brown tartered teeth and snap with aged grouchiness. Matter of fact, she would probably find taking a nap with Rosa Parks, the mouser, a pleasant soothing experience now.

Molly

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 13, 2008
9:18 PM

Post #5547731

I just bought some of these chew bones at Target that are supposed to be excellent for "dental hygene" Ha she eats them so fast I wonder if they even see the tarter on the teeth! She eats dry food, plus the cat's food and whatever else she gets her mouth around.

The dogs cornered a baby possum who had gotten into the house yesterday. Talk about smelly!

My emmagreyhound replaces my malamute who died of heartworm complications at the age of 14. She sure does not act like a malamute! She rules the place around here. No question she is in charge.

I never had a greyhound before. Ha. I mean Ive never had my life taken over by a greyhound before. Hard to tell who owns who around here!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #5547857

That's the way it is Gloria.

We went to start a job today. The customer had this huge great dane. Feet as big as mine. And such a sweetheart.

We took in a great dane 2 1/2 years ago. Lexus. She was 8. She scared me in the beginning with her size, beady eyes and ferocious growl. My son claimed she was his but when he moved to his gf's house, I wouldn't let him take her. She had grabbed my heart as well as made me feel secure about being alone in the woods. When she passed in November of that year, eight months after we took her in, he had to come help me with her. We were digging her resting place at 10 at night. She has a nice eucalyptus tree growing with her now.

Awwww, after seeing that Great Dane today, we are wanting another. And didn't I say when Baby (another one of my furry loved ones) and Snowy passed I was going to reduce my pet stock? Ain't happening. Living in the country we have "drop offs" wandering in frequently. It's SO SO hard not to stop and save every one of them.

My Snowy caught a possum when we still lived in S. Florida. My xbf convinced her to let go and the possum played dead. Scott threw my plastic chair at the possum to get it to move. Broke the chair and the possum finally jumped up and ran away. That man would never make it out here with the snakes, spiders, hawks, coyotes and panthers.

And I ramble.

Molly

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 13, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5547882

my chow mix male replaces a catahoula male that someone dropped of to die near the historic house where I worked. The catahoula looked like a black lab and may have been part lab. He found me and followed me around and wouldn't let go. So he was my dog. I took him to the vet - our old vet - he said that's the oldest dog Ive ever seen!

He lived with me another 4 years.

They sure do capture your heart. And it makes you wonder how perverted some people must be to leave a dog off on the road to fend for himself.

My dogs attacked this possum baby before I had a chance to get him away from them. They sure knew what to do as if they were hunters all their life! Hunting a baby possum cornered in the bathroom!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5560099

Mollie, good to see you! It's great to hear Snowy's still hanging in there. Wow!

2004, KY Roundup. We're at Prizer Point right now. :)

Thumbnail by gardenwife

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5560370

Thank you so much for sharing that photo!!!! I don't recall having seen it before, and there's my late sweetie Baby over on my right.

Hope yall are having a great time up there. The time sure did slip by quickly. I'll be watching for "fun" reports and pictures!!

Molly
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5560890

Well, I've got a confession to make -- I never posted them. I don't remember what happened, but the weeks went by, then the months, and then it felt strange to start a thread. I might just go ahead and post some. I feel so guilty!!
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #5564709

I have sighthounds, too (Silkens = Borzoi/Whippet and my old man Whippet) and that is just about their schedule, too. The younguns are a little more active, but in general, nobody knows how to make sleep look more satisfying than these guys.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Does Anyone Show Dogs?? momcat 154 Jul 29, 2009 9:01 PM
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? gardenwife 20 Oct 2, 2009 7:10 PM
mourning DawnG 26 Jul 16, 2010 10:38 AM
Bertha got a hair cut!! MOLLYBEE 10 Aug 8, 2011 11:49 AM
Fritzie meets (& almost eats) Santa Claus Buttoneer 22 Sep 3, 2009 11:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America