Crazy about Greyhounds

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Hi, I just joined and I am crazy about my two greyhound. Tori and Heidi. I know everyone is crazy about their dogs but I find that Greyhound lovers tend to be NUTS about them. Any other Greyhound nuts out there? Tell us about your couch potatoes!
Tina

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

No greyhounds here, but I have met many at the lure coursing trials we go to. They are such sweet dogs. We have afghan hounds that we course. A good friend of mine has one that was rescued from the track. My vet heads up a local track rescue group. Tell us about your two.
Deb
PS We love pics here, too!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Welcome to DG, Mobi! We have a greyhound mix (Emma) and a beagle/chow mix (Sarah), and we're crazy about them both. Here's pictures: http://gallery.gardenwife.com/dogs/
And more: http://davesgarden.com/j/vbc/gardenwife/6315/ (We don't have Buddy the beagle any more).

Do you have pictures of Tori and Heidi? We'd love to see your babies!

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I'll have to upload pics. I love Greyhounds and I was able to adopt when dh and I bought our house 5 years ago. My Tori is the boss of the animal kingdom in our household. I also have 3 cats. Shes, 6 1/2 now and has arthritis. she only raced 3 races and came in last in all of them. LOL Heidi nearly won her 4 races but stopped when the crowd started cheering. Both of mine are extremely shy. My dh and don't have kids so we purposely adopted the shiest ones. They are more difficult to place and we have a quiet home. Heidi is a clown but is deathly afraid of all men (except DH, who is the number 1 love of her life).
They are so well mannered, quiet and easy to take care of:
Their day consists of:
Go out in the morning - come in and wag tails until cookies are given
Sleep
eat a little and drink water
sleep
cookie and belly rub
sleep
sleep
sleep
get excited when dad comes home.
get cookie
play for about 10 minutes
go out
sleep
kick mom out of bed to take her place
sleep
just when all the lights are out bark to be let outside!
sleep
I swear they are easier to take care of than my cats. And they are SO sweet.
My mother liked mine so much she adopted one 6 months ago and says it's the best thing she has ever done for herself.
Most people think that they need a lot of exersize but as you can see their favorite thing to do is sleep. My mom lives in a condo and they make the best pets for apts and condos. They rarely bark, are smart and are so loving. They get along great with cats and other animals. My Heidi adores kittens! She likes to mommy them. My mother also has a cat and he loves to beat her poor grey. He just smacks her on the forhead. But she loves him so much she thinks it's a form of affection!
Mobi

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

You're so right, greyhounds are sprinters and once they've had their little fit of energy, they're slugs! Our friends have a retired racer they adopted; we have puppy play dates with them since their yard's fenced-in. They have a grand time with Dan! The journal entries for Puppy Play Date show Dan and them playing.

Emma likes to chew on two of our cats, but never old Elliott, our Siamese. Neither dog bothers Elliott, which is nice for the old guy. Higgins will take so much, then leap and put his paws around Emma's neck while biting whatever's closest. Hattie puts up with a lot of gnawing and knitting, making a fuss, but apparantly not disliking the attention enough to flee.

And she'll curl up right next to either dog and sleep, so she obviously doesn't dislike them. :)

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

When we moved here in July 1996 we had 4 greyhounds...the name of the property is Greyhound Run. I loved them soooo much!! 2 were retired racers. Sadly they have all gone to Rainbow Bridge and are buried out front in our memory garden.

We had 1 litter of pups...all sold/given away as pets. Got one back..thought he had gone to a good home,but my "friend" abused him. Ended up having to have a front leg amputated..didn't slow him down any.

My DS got a pup that was sired by my Caeser..mom was lab/chow mix. Maya is now with us. She looks so much like her daddy!!

The picture is of Pooh the 3 legged wonder kid and Hannibul.

Thumbnail by Ginger_H
Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Your Pooh looks a lot like my Tori. We had a plumber come out today and what do ya know, He's got a greyhound too! They are the sweetest things, how could anybody abuse such sweethearts!. Both mine were track dogs of large corporations so really didn't get any attention for the first 2 years of their lives and both are deathly afraid of men! My DH is the only male they adore. I call him an honorary female. LOL. As long as I can, I'll always have a Grey (or 3) in my life! These dogs were meant for me!

Here is Tori and Miss Gizzy. For you greyhound lovers you know that that is a grin not "Breakfast in Bed"!

Thumbnail by Mobi
Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Here's Heidi in MY bed, her head on MY pillow!

Thumbnail by Mobi
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

What (spoiled) beauties! :D

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

And here's My Mom's dog, Abbie over for a play date. She's only two and has too much energy for my pups.
"She was fun, but can she go home now?"

Thumbnail by Mobi
Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Gardenwife,
Your emma is so cute, like alittle gentler grey! You just want to give her kisses. I love the three in one chair!
Mobi

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi Mobi and all;

We adopted a retired racer 2 years ago. We took our belly dragger, Baby, with us to make the selection at the rescue place. Since the new dog was to be companion to Baby, we thought she ought to have a say in the decision. Baby is a Hurricane Andrew rescue puppy so she is 11 now and Snowy is 7 1/2. Snowy sneaks on the couch when she thinks we aren't looking. HaHa, we put a doggy blanket on the sofa, just in case. We're not so stupid. They both lay about all day, Baby is on a diet food and Snowy is on High Protein. Lord Forbid they should get their feed mixed up. We also have 3 parrots, guppy's in tank in house & still pond outside and fountain pond outside with goldfish.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And they talk about greyhounds being couch potatoes? Find the dog in this one.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I don't think I've ever seen a Greyhound that color before. She is beautiful and Baby seems pretty happy. My two are allowed on all the furniture except the living room couch (otherwise, us humans would be sitting on the floor). Our sofa is backed up to the front window. Last summer, DH and I were doing work in the front yard and of course the two pups couldn't come to help as it is not fenced. But I look up to the window to see Heidi looking down at me from the top of the couch! I couldn't stop laughing!.

Both my girls love pillows to lay their heads on. From your picture I think all Grey's do!
Mobi

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

MOLLY, what a great picture. If she had her eyes closed you would never find her! My furbabies are at the opposite end of the totem pole, miniture Dachunds, but this thread is making me want to add a Greyhound to the mix!

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

You're right,Mobi,Tori does look like Pooh! Heidi looks like Maya who looks like her dad,Caeser. The only part of her that doesn't look greyhound is her tongue..she has the chow tongue. And Abbie's face reminds me of Brindle except that Brin was darker. I would love to have another greyhound,but the 5 spoiled brats we have now put enough of a dent in my checkbook.

We have 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks,Maya,Bear(mom was yellow lab mix and dad was a "traveling man") and D*O*G who was a stray..we figure he is catahula leopard/pit bull terrier mix. In no way do we own any one of them...they all own us and rule the house. LOL

Snowy is a brindle and she is a little on the small side. Your's look larger than mine and their coloring is very distinct. I love Heidi's collar. They've got to have their blankey's, pillows and their toys.

Have to be careful grey hounds don't get away. Snowy is fast. If she manages to slip away from us I learned not to chase her. I squat down on my haunches and call her back to me. IF I chased, she would run too fast. And both my dogs have to walk in the gardens. I put up a little fence barrier to keep them out, Snowy gets in. And my gardens are not even in their favorite places. Go figure. They are sweethearts tho. Very verbal when they want dinner or to go outside. We have made Snowy into a boating dog. In the beginning she was scared to death. Now, you have to spell boat if you don't want to take them, and even so they still know what we're talking about. Too smart. LOL

Pati;

YOu should get one, your dachunds will be able to keep up and they would be great companions.

Molly

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

My dh and I have to spell around our Grey's too.LOL
w-a-l-k
c's for cookies
a for Abbie, My Mom's Grey. If we say her name they'll keep going to the front door to wait for her. Even so they are starting to catch on to the code's!
I got Heidi's and Tori's (even though you can't see it) at Mrs. Bones

http://www.mrsbones.com/index2.html

Really, too expensive but...... you know how it is.
My pups also have their blankey's. I never knew dogs like to lay with their head on a pillow and be covered up with a blanket!
Mobi

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oops....I duped. See next post.

This message was edited Nov 25, 2003 3:51 AM

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

This thread is making me grin from ear to ear! That picture of Snowy on the couch is a hoot - she's got good couch camouflage. I notice she stretches her rear legs waaay up when she lies down, just like our Emma does.

She was snuggled behind me in this chair, and when I got up I saw how weirdly she was squeezed in that spot!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Look at those long legs!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Interesting but trivial info about Greyhounds:
They are the only dog mentioned in the Bible.

At one time in England, only the aristocracy could own them.

Around this same time in England, the punishment for killing a Greyhound was death.

Spaniards brought Greys with them to the New World.

U.S. Calvary used Greyhounds to spot Native Americans on the plains.

Mobi

That is very interesting Mobi, Thank you.....Molly

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Mobi-Where'd you get Heidi's collar? I have been searching for just such a collar for my new doggie. I was looking for a Rhinestone one, but there are no cool ones for large dogs. Gorgeous puppers btw!

We have to spell around here too! If I even put shoes on, Max will start running from me to the door and back!

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Here's the link for the collars:

here's what tori's collar looks like:

http://www.mrsbones.com/index2.html

Thumbnail by Mobi
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

They're beautiful collars! Wow, wish they weren't so spendy, but I can see why they are.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Yeah, they are expensive! I debated on it for 3 years before I decided to spend the money. Heidi's collar with moons and stars has held up really well. The metallic thread on Tori's not so well but the collar itself is of excellent quality. I was not disappointed.
FYI
Mobi

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

They sure are pretty!! Guess I need to buy the winning lottery ticket!

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

WOW-perfect! Now I can get them what I wanted to get them for Christmas! I had been considering trying my hand at it!

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

If any of you are feeling 'crafty' there are instructions for making martingale type collars at this website;
http://www.greyhoundmanor.com/pat/collar/collar.html
I haven't tried to make one, but we do use this type of collar on our 'kids'.
Deb

That site is great momcat. I've been using these types of collars for my other dog for years. And I have friends that use them on their goldies. It's a "soft" choke for gentle training for the animals. (I have never liked the idea of choke chains.)

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Most sighthounds need Martingale collars as their heads are smaller than their necks. They are gentle.
Mobi

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I love the other templates and designs the lady has on that site -- wow! The greyhound skirt pattern (like a poodle skirt) is a hoot.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Here is my Edie Grace--Race name Burning Flame, rescued from a track in Birmingham Alabama. I got her the day after mothers day, 2000. She's 8 years old.

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio

Melissa, She's beautiful. I see she thinks she's a horse too, lays down front feet first. My Snowy does that too.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Melissa, I didn't know you had a greyhound! She is gorgeous! My dh and I got ours in 1999.
Molly, Grey's are a lot like cats. They stretch the same way and they walk the same way, not like other dogs.
Tori's race name was Clifton Adriana
Heidi's race name was Jaaz Peewee
Here's a link to see their brothers and sisters and some link to races. You can also enter info on your dog.
http://www.greyhound-data.com/

Mobi

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

She bows... LOL she is so funny. Whenever our Dobes pass on, we'll have another, I'm sure. When we adopted her, they told us that Greys were like potato chips, can't have just one... I agree, but we just don't have room. She's the largest female they'd ever seen, she weighs 85 pounds and is TALL... Ben, the male that I brought back for a gentleman in Dayton was half Edie's size. :-)

I drove to Charleston WV to pick them up. The transport was going on to Cleveland, and that was the closest stop to me. I picked up Edie and Ben.

I was planning on changing her name to Grace.... so I started calling her Edie Grace so she'd get used to it... it stuck.

They told me when I got her that Grey's wouldn't recall? She does... they also told me that she would hate men... she loves my hubby. She prefers me, but she adores him too. She's shy too, but not "too" shy, if that makes any sense?

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio
Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Absolutely makes sense. Both mine are super shy but my mom's is much more social. None of them hate men but they are all cautious around them. Of course all three love DH. Tori prefers me and Heidi is totally IN love with dh. She's more afraid of men than Tori, but she loves her guy!
Edie Grace IS a big girl. Tori weighs about 62lbs, and Heidi is smaller.
They are the best dogs. People don't realize that they also make great apartment pets. All they really need is a comfy bed and lots of love. My mom lives in a condo and she says that this is the perfect dog for her. She has problems with her mobility and Abbie has no stamina, so they go for short walks everyday. LOL. Talk about how dogs and their humans look alike. NOT in this case. My mom is a rather short, large person and she has this sleek athlete for her pet. I have to laugh, they look so different. But this dog is crazy about her and vice versa.
At first she worried if this dog might be too big for her, but after she got her, she realized that size didn't matter. She is less work than most dogs have her size and they have such close bonds with their humans.
I think they are the perfect dog for people with problems walking or people who need lots of rest. About 80% of their time, these dogs are sleeping!
Mobi

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, Melissa, I didn't know you have a Grey, either! She's a beautiful girl - I love brindle dogs. One of Emma's littermates was a brindle with white and the other was mostly tan; I wish we could have adopted them all! http://davesgarden.com/j/si/23092/

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

More interesting info on Greyhounds
from http://www.greyhoundpets.org.au/id33.htm

Greyhounds are sensitive to some chemicals. They must have special anaesthetics when undergoing surgery and they cannot wear flea collars.

Greyhounds are usually found standing or lying down, they find it uncomfortable to sit. Some say it is because their tail is so stiff which
doesn't allow him to sitproperly - and some say that it is just uncomfortable for them to take the sit position.

People that are allergic to dogs, usually find that they do not suffer the same discomfort with a Greyhound.

In 1804, Australia issued a proclamation ordering the destruction of all dogs EXCEPT greyhounds and sheepdogs.

Because of their low body fat and short coat, a greyhound has very little - if any "doggy smell".

Greyhounds are the oldest pure bred dog

Mobi

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.