Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Plumbago, Cape Leadwort (Plumbago auriculata)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 19, Views: 301
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

December 8, 2003
2:51 PM

Post #726723

Plumbago, Cape Leadwort
Plumbago auriculata

I have this one growing in a large container.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/414/

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

duliticola
Longfield, Kent
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2003
8:43 AM

Post #727276

That's beautifully grown, Clare, very floriferous and a lovely shade of blue. Some clones are rather pale for my taste but yours is lovely.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

December 9, 2003
6:39 PM

Post #727610

Thanks, Duliticola. I think there are two kinds of blue Plumbago besides the ground cover one. One is called "Imperial Blue," but I don't know if mine is "Imperial Blue" or the other blue. The white-colored one is beautiful too. My red Plumbago indica is about to bloom, and I will post pictures of that one when it does.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2003
8:19 PM

Post #727662

Wow Clare...this sure puts mine to shame. I had a little problem with too many other plants and crowding plus mine didn't get enough sun when the other plants got bigger. I'll be growing it in a large pot in the sun next year. Your picture is beautiful. Can't wait to see the red one.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

December 9, 2003
8:39 PM

Post #727680

Thanks, Brugie! This plant actually outgrew the container that it was in so I bought one of those large green plastic trash cans and drilled some holes in the bottom and transferred it to that. I think it might be a 20-gallon container. I just had nowhere to plant it in the ground. As you said, it does get large. Right now it's next to a Charles Grimaldi. Here's another picture of it.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2003
11:16 PM

Post #727769

Very pretty, but what is the bright purple bloom in the foreground?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

December 10, 2003
3:43 AM

Post #727946

Brugie,
That is Alyogyne huegelii, also called Blue Hibiscus or Lilac Hibiscus. I'm trying to root some cuttings right now for Bonnie, but they are tough to root. Here's another picture of it.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

December 10, 2003
3:46 AM

Post #727950

They look pretty blue in that picture because the lighting isn't very strong, but the flowers are really purple.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2003
1:57 PM

Post #728108

Thanks Clare. I had one a couple of years ago and also didn't have any luck rooting it. I tried to keep it over the winter in the basement as a dormant plant, but that didn't work either. It is a gorgeous plant even tho the leaves are a little different than most hibiscus, and one that I probably won't have again just because of our hard winters and lack of light and heat for it in the house. Wish I had a huge greenhouse and a really bulging checkbook to pay a heating bill and I'd have a lot of stuff that absolutely is breathtaking but not suitable for overwintering without a greenhouse. Have really been enjoying your pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

December 10, 2003
6:19 PM

Post #728335

Sure, Shirley. I'm going to be in the same boat in a few years. Hubby wants to move to Northern Colorado when he retires. We can't afford to buy a house here in Southern California so I'm probably headed to Zone 4! I told my husband that I'm not going unless he builds me a greenhouse! I've really enjoyed your pictures too. You do have some spectacular plants, especially those Brugs of yours. If I am able to get some Alyogyne cuttings to root, I would be happy to send you one, and I'm sure I could dig up a Calla Lily for you too:-)
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2003
6:28 PM

Post #728342

Thanks Clare, but right now I can't even think about more plants. Next spring, maybe. I have to do some serious planning on what to put where and what to send out for postage because I might have to much. I'm a sucker for anything I can root and can't seem to toss stuff. I've been working on making room under lights for growing brug seedlings and I'm running out of room fast. LOL!! Something you have that I would like to get started is the blue potato bush. Could you start one of those for me?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

December 10, 2003
6:58 PM

Post #728372

LOL! I'm the same way. If you are looking to get rid of any Brugs for postage, let me know! Or maybe we can trade for a Calla Lily or something else! If you want to check out my garden, my photo albums are at http://www.picturetrail.com/jccorre

Edited to fix link

This message was edited Wednesday, Dec 10th 2:59 PM
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2003
7:03 PM

Post #728375

I'm waiting on my friend Renee to have her gallbladder removed today and then be well enough to drive down from Wisconsin. She needs some of what I have and I'll pot up single varieties for myself and evaluate what is left.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

December 10, 2003
7:06 PM

Post #728377

She's going to drive after surgery? Wow! I hope she's really careful! That's really great of you to share with your friends. There's no pressure, but I'll be in line if you do decide to do postage or want to trade.
busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2003
1:22 PM

Post #730716

I will be waiting to see the red too. This blue is very pretty especially with the contrasting purple flowers around it.I am enjoying all the beautiful plants that you are posting.

Shirley, What you need to do is move a littly closer South, Maybe toward me, that way you wouldn`t have to worry about harsh long winters.LOL.

Clare, Moving to Colorado is going to be a drastic change for you so you can move this way too. There is always room for good gardeners.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2003
3:51 PM

Post #730805

I would love to move, but if you could see what we have accumulated over the years, you could understand why we hesitate. LOL!! Just my gardening things alone would fill a big truck.
busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2003
4:33 PM

Post #730828

I know what you mean. We have 12 acres here where we live and 70 acres where I was raised. I told my DH I would move if he dug up all of my flowers. Well, The subject was closed fast.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2003
5:31 PM

Post #730865

My DH would rather stay here than have to clean up his own stuff. He is a saver and his shop shows it. Of course, I haven't helped him out because I've crammed some plants in there along with his stuff.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

December 14, 2003
10:50 PM

Post #731013

Thanks, Busybee and Shirley, for your posts:-) My husband has some relatives in Colorado and spent some time there, and real estate is very affordable there along with an appealing state income tax. We'll see though. A lot could happen between now and then. I don't want to even think about moving because there are so many plants that I can't part with, and I know my husband will give me an argument when I go to put them on the moving truck! I'll probably have to move a bunch of stuff to my mom's house and relocate them slowly over a bunch of trips.
busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2003
2:04 PM

Post #731431

Now that will work. I couldn`t leave mine either. I would be dragging my feet and my DH would start digging just to get me to move faster.LOL

Your plants are beautiful and I wouldn`t leave them either.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America