Photo by Melody

Garden Talk: Epsom salts for plants? which plants?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 9, Views: 471
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2001
5:17 PM

Post #658

I have heard that epsom salts is good for plants. I would like to know what it does (didn't take chemistry) and what plants it helps.
Rosie
West Simsbury, CT
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2001
6:47 PM

Post #48058

http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/garden.htm

Hope it helps.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2001
3:09 AM

Post #48102

MaryE, not only does it add magnesium to the growing medium (soil) but it also plays an important role in flower setting. Often-times plants, especially peppers, will lose their flowers before they set (and this, of course, will not produce fruit). If you spray a mixture of Ep salt and water on the plant not only will it green up the plant nicely but will allow the flower to set. (any solution left over can be poured at the base of the plant).
mom2cats
Moorestown, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2001
5:57 AM

Post #48117

I sure am glad ya'll posted this information...I intend to grow a LOT of tomatoes this year and this will help with my #1 problem...blossom end rot! Also read it's great for my roses (which need all the help they can get!). Thanks for the info!!
Grits
Pineville, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2001
3:07 PM

Post #48174

Roses love epsom salts, about once a month - 1 T per gallon water.
Grits
Byron
Lyndeborough, NH

January 21, 2001
12:57 AM

Post #48256

Epsom aka Magnesium sulfate, helps most in the chlorphyl "factory" all plants

Mom24cats.

#1 problem with Blossom end rot and blossom drop is excessive nitrogen, The excessive ammonium ions (from ammonium nitrate) depresses the uptake of calcium and magnisium and a couple other minor nutients.

(~~Odds are excessive feeding of 15-35-15 #1 cause)

#2 problem is not enough water, Tomatoes need 1 to 1 1/2 in of rain/water per week.

#3 Lack of calcium in the soil, a couple tbsp of dolomitic lime at transplant, and a couple more at first fruit set is usually enough.

Alterante a couple dried finely crushed eggshells and 1 tbsp or 1 tbsp per gal of epsom.

Byron

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2001
11:54 PM

Post #48360

Good info Byron...but don't forget the calcium chloride...best to buy it in the form of rock salt (the kind you use to melt snow off the steps/walkways. A few tbs in a some warm water then sprayed foliar is a quick fix for BER.
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2001
4:24 AM

Post #48670

I use on my Stuttgart canna. Helps the leaves from browning.
Alice
Byron
Lyndeborough, NH

January 25, 2001
9:59 PM

Post #48951

Horseshoe

Don't need the calcium chloide if it's in the soil

Also excessive use can yeild a salt problem

Dolomitic lime is calcium carbonate and magnesium sulphate

Byron
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2001
12:33 AM

Post #48982

Excellent point Byron! I've used it only for a foliar spray. AND, I also only use dolomitic lime in the soil. The majority of our soil here in NC is very acidic, and clay. I pay particular attention to anything that could add "salts" to the soil...with clay it seems everything takes its merry old time moving on so we must be careful with what goes in the soil. With over 300 chickens we certainly have eggshells for calcium, and we use them. The cal chloride is just used if there is a need for a 'quick fix' and is used sparingly, usually when the air temp is very high and inhibiting fruit set. Any other info you care to offer is certainly welcome. (You wouldn't have a good plant food for onions would you? Organic preferably).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America