Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

PlantFiles Pictures: Running Pop, Love-In-A-Mist, Stinking Passion Flower (Passiflora foetida)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 24, Views: 181
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2003
1:47 PM

Post #731419

Running Pop, Love-In-A-Mist, Stinking Passion Flower, Passion Vine, Passionvine
Passiflora foetida

Passiflora foetida fruit.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1194/

Thumbnail by htop
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kaufmann
GOD's Green Earth
United States
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2003
1:52 PM

Post #731428

Hi Hazel:

What an interesting plant! Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a nice holiday season!!!

Gretchen
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2003
2:18 PM

Post #731443

Hi, Gretchen. I'm drying seeds from this vine if you want some. My whole dining room table is covered with seed envelops to send out. Hopefully, I can do this today. Congratulations on winning awards for your great photos. I finally found where to find the contest results. I wish I had known where and when to vote because I would have certainly castsome votesyour way.
Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2003
10:45 AM

Post #731958

I can see how this shares the name "Love in a Mist" with Nigella...the bracts or sepals curl up around the developing seed pod. This red pod is much more attractive than the native Passiflora we have here. I would ask for some seed but doubt they would be hardy here.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2003
11:32 AM

Post #731970

I can send you some seed after I gather and dry them. You never know ... they might grow. This one is a native here. The pods really stand out; whereas, the blooms are quite pale in comparison to other Passiflora.
Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2003
1:15 PM

Post #732026

Thanks, htop. Maybe we can send each other several things in one shipment next spring. It won't cost any more than sending one thing probably. I will try to send you a list someday of the things I have that you might want cuttings from.
Susan
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2003
4:49 PM

Post #732120

That is a cool looking pod. Will have to look this one up. Thanks.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2003
11:48 PM

Post #732348

Susan, that sounds like a great idea.
Kaufmann
GOD's Green Earth
United States
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2003
12:02 AM

Post #732356

Hazel: Thank you! That's very sweet, but I must confess that I was shocked when I learned that two pics had won... Yes, I would love some seeds. Should I send you an SASE? Pretty sure I still have your addy close by. Gretchen
Kaufmann
GOD's Green Earth
United States
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2003
12:04 AM

Post #732359

PS: Have you started any of the Zexmenia? I had six of them growing and then left town for ten days overy TG. The gal that was supposed to take care of the GH didn't... The rest is of course history :(
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2003
12:35 AM

Post #732379

Gretchen, I am waiting until spring to start the Zexmenia because I don't have a GH. I am having to drag plants in and out of the house with the freezes coming frequently. I will send you some seeds after they dry and there is no need for a SASE. You will be receiving a Christmas present which I mailed today with several little goodies in it.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2003
12:37 AM

Post #732381

Brugie, it can be seen from quite a distance because it is such a great red. Thanks for your comments.
Kaufmann
GOD's Green Earth
United States
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2003
1:29 AM

Post #732414

Hazel:

Bless your heart -- you certainly should not've sent me anything though... Thank you, and may you be blessed with a wonderful, safe and joyous holiday season!

Gretchen
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2003
1:53 AM

Post #732451

Gretchen, I sent you different kinds of seeds. What they are I will let you guess. If you don't want or need them perhaps someone else might. Living "up the road" from me made it easy to send seeds from plants I know grow here.
Ulrich
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 11)

December 17, 2003
2:07 AM

Post #732454

'Little Shop of Horrors' is nothing compared to this!
Kaufmann
GOD's Green Earth
United States
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2003
2:20 AM

Post #732465

Again, bless you! I will love them all!!! Thank you so very much for your thoughtfulness, though not necessary, very much appreciated!!! On another note: Do you grow brugs? I have caught that fever in a big way...
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2003
3:35 AM

Post #732521

Gretchen, I do not grow brugs, but they are great.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2003
3:39 AM

Post #732524

Ulrich, you have found it to be invasive, huh.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2003
3:42 AM

Post #732525

Gretchen, I am sorry about your GH disaster. If I don't bring my plants in now, The will be a disaster after the freeze tonight. I had just put them all back out to be watered and to get some sun.
Kaufmann
GOD's Green Earth
United States
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2003
11:43 AM

Post #732615

Thanks Hazel...Oh well, there's always Spring! Luckily all the large, established plants survived. Believe me I know what a pain it is to move them in and out. Last year my husband was going through chemo and the subsequent Bone Marrow Tranplant, so nothing that wasn't already "in" the house could come in. Thankfully with all the plants on the porch under sheets, they survived. This morning though, its only 18 degrees here! I sure hope my garden survives this!!! Hope you have a great day!!! Gretchen
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2003
1:28 PM

Post #732678

Yes, it was a cold night. Most of the plants that are in the ground here will come back if they freeze to the ground. I have a large assortment of container plants that will survive also. But many of my container plants have to be protected.
Kaufmann
GOD's Green Earth
United States
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2003
4:55 PM

Post #733430

Hazel: Thank you -- I received the seeds today. Posted a note and picture in the mail call forum. That was so very sweet of you, and totally unexpected! Bless your heart!!!
Hugs,
Gretchen
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2003
1:19 AM

Post #733704

Gretchen, posting the note and picture in the mail call forum was very thoughtful. I had never visited the mail call forum before. DG is such a wonderful site with great forums. I really needed some hugs today ... thanks for everything.
Hazel
Kaufmann
GOD's Green Earth
United States
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2003
12:27 PM

Post #733886

Thank you, Hazel! Merry Christmas and god Bless You! Gretchen
silvertongue
Abilene, TX

October 31, 2007
12:37 AM

Post #4141194

i know i'm a lil late to the scene, but i never knew these plants had fruit. Ive found them growing wild in texas and arkansas but evidently since the flowers were dark purple and very fragrant (i call the smell "granma's perfume" *smile*).

But what I really want to know is if these fruits are edible, or medicinal, or have any such value at all. Certainly just the beauty is motive enough to grow them, but I'd like to know if any of you have any knowledge on their nutritional/medicinal value.

thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 4 Oct 20, 2014 1:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America