Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Myrtle (Myrtus communis)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 6, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

December 16, 2003
8:08 PM

Post #732216

Myrtle
Myrtus communis

I have this small plant growing in a container.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54005/

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Meegs
London
United Kingdom

March 29, 2004
12:34 PM

Post #821892

Could you please tell me the height and spread of Myrtus communis? Thanks
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 29, 2004
8:22 PM

Post #822259

Meegs, my plant is little yet and in a container and may be Myrtus communis compacta, which can get to be 4 feet tall. I think Myrtus communis can get to be quite large. Check this site: http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Myrtaceae/Myrtus_communis.html It says 15 feet tall and 20 feet wide.
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2005
8:27 PM

Post #1259174

Hiya, Clare_CA. I bought one of these at a small nursery nearby & LOVE it! Do you keep yours outside/inside? I really want this to flourish, and had originally selected it for bonsai, but now, just want to see it grow and bloom naturally. =)

Any tips?

mkj in TX
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

January 26, 2005
9:55 PM

Post #1259301

Hi mkj, it's a keeper with its lovely fragrant foliage and its soft blooms. It is kind of messy though with its blue berries which drop all winter. The berries contain seeds, and I have found it is best not to place my container on concrete. I have mine in a container outside, and it seems to be as wide as it is tall if not wider. Mine is about three feet by three feet now in a 16-inch container. This is a great plant as it will flourish with very little attention.
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2005
3:34 AM

Post #1259841

What do you feed yours, Clare_CA? Mine seems to be dried out almost every day! I'm a rotten OverWaterer by nature, and don't want to kill it! I do have alot of new growth though, so it must be happy (indoors at present, in a south-facing window w/direct sun).

Your zone is even "nicer" than mine to plants, so you must keep yours outdoors all year? I'd probably have to bring mine in w/the irregular freezes we get sometimes (DFW). I do have huge crepe myrtles out front, so their mess might help mask those blue berries in the garden, huh? ;-) Didn't even know they got those!

mkj
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

January 27, 2005
6:47 AM

Post #1260003

mkj, I don't think I have ever given mine any fertilizer. I don't think it needs it. I have read that overwatering will cause chlorosis in this plant, and if that occurs, you just add a little iron chelate to the soil. Yes, mine is outdoors all year. Yours is probably rootbound if it dries out quickly. I would wait until the spring to repot. PlantFiles indicates that this plant is hardy to -15 degrees so you can probably leave yours outside most of the year and just bring it in when the coldest weather is predicted. The blue berries aren't too bad when they drop in the garden; it is just when they drop on the cement walkway that they look kind of messy!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America