Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Myrtle (Myrtus communis)

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Myrtle
Myrtus communis

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
London, United Kingdom

Could you please tell me the height and spread of Myrtus communis? Thanks

Meegs, my plant is little yet and in a container and may be Myrtus communis compacta, which can get to be 4 feet tall. I think Myrtus communis can get to be quite large. Check this site: http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Myrtaceae/Myrtus_communis.html It says 15 feet tall and 20 feet wide.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Hiya, Clare_CA. I bought one of these at a small nursery nearby & LOVE it! Do you keep yours outside/inside? I really want this to flourish, and had originally selected it for bonsai, but now, just want to see it grow and bloom naturally. =)

Any tips?

mkj in TX

Hi mkj, it's a keeper with its lovely fragrant foliage and its soft blooms. It is kind of messy though with its blue berries which drop all winter. The berries contain seeds, and I have found it is best not to place my container on concrete. I have mine in a container outside, and it seems to be as wide as it is tall if not wider. Mine is about three feet by three feet now in a 16-inch container. This is a great plant as it will flourish with very little attention.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

What do you feed yours, Clare_CA? Mine seems to be dried out almost every day! I'm a rotten OverWaterer by nature, and don't want to kill it! I do have alot of new growth though, so it must be happy (indoors at present, in a south-facing window w/direct sun).

Your zone is even "nicer" than mine to plants, so you must keep yours outdoors all year? I'd probably have to bring mine in w/the irregular freezes we get sometimes (DFW). I do have huge crepe myrtles out front, so their mess might help mask those blue berries in the garden, huh? ;-) Didn't even know they got those!

mkj

mkj, I don't think I have ever given mine any fertilizer. I don't think it needs it. I have read that overwatering will cause chlorosis in this plant, and if that occurs, you just add a little iron chelate to the soil. Yes, mine is outdoors all year. Yours is probably rootbound if it dries out quickly. I would wait until the spring to repot. PlantFiles indicates that this plant is hardy to -15 degrees so you can probably leave yours outside most of the year and just bring it in when the coldest weather is predicted. The blue berries aren't too bad when they drop in the garden; it is just when they drop on the cement walkway that they look kind of messy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.