Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

International Trading: New USDA Seed Rules

Communities > Forums > International Trading
bookmark
Forum: International TradingReplies: 4, Views: 785
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eje
San Francisco, CA
(Zone 10a)

December 19, 2003
4:27 PM

Post #734057

Hi,

Got this note from the Cyclamen Society mailing list regarding the new rules for importing seed into the US.

Does anyone know where to find more information? Has this been discussed here before?

--------

This note is directed to the members of the Cyclamen Society who applied for seed from its seed exchange and live in the United States. Perhaps your not aware of the new ruling instituted by the USDA that all incoming seed must be inspected and be accompanied by a photosanitary certificate. In addition the seed had to be inspected and passed by the British customs. This all takes time and paperwork. Last year the seed sent out by the Alpine Garden Society (British) was held up for an entire month by the USDA people before they forwarded it to the people who volunteered to redistribute the individual envelopes. I hope this explains the time delay. A letter to your congress person as suggested by the president of the North American Rock Garden Society expressing your dissatisfaction with this situation might help. The seed will be redistributed when I receive it from the USDA.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2003
10:16 PM

Post #734236

In Chile it is happening the same thing.

Apparently the last CITES meeting pushed the countries members for a tighthening and enforcing of the regulations.
As ever, it is always to do with big business and international agro companies that do not want the existence of seeds trading and sharing between international friends/ individuals; that way they do corner the market.

Customs official feel that X'mas has arrived, because this is a booster for their jobs and burocracy will continue!

Anybody wanting to trade internationally must exercise care and as I mentioned before , anyone trading to this part of the world,the package must be packed so that the seeds should not shake, rattle or roll and if necessary, change the package from an evelope to a small box [ only if the seeds are large]... and of course to not mention,or avoid the words seeds, flower seeds and anything alike.

I declared on a package that I sent to the UK which had rather large seeds ( 100 gingko seeds among others), garden ornaments and to a dear DGs friend I did send a garden magazine with the little packages distributed evenly between pages.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

December 23, 2003
10:57 PM

Post #736695

This, I hear, will also be happening in Canada very soon :(
spacecowgirl
hiram, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2003
1:23 PM

Post #739418

I have received bulbs in trade from germany a year ago. They were sent regular mail, with the label "scientific specimen" on the box. We didn't have to go through the AG department. Sort of a back way around.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2004
8:42 PM

Post #797998

The magazine is a fantastic idea. I would love to do some international trading, but I'm afraid I don't have much to offer someone. :-(

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other International Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: Who can I trade seeds with? singleyellowros 23 Feb 11, 2008 3:12 PM
CLOSED: Looking for Japanese Morning glory seeds and Japanese iris gloriag 2 Jun 7, 2008 6:05 PM
Palm seeds for trade gcolbert28303 5 May 5, 2008 12:57 AM
Salvia Seeds for Salvia Seeds:) annette68 6 Oct 30, 2007 4:01 AM
Ipomoea batatas B1ZZYL1ZZY 19 May 18, 2007 9:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America