Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: California Poppies

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 7, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2001
11:34 PM

Post #5796

I would love to grow some of these bright orange velvety annuals. Can they be started this late? or do they have to be seeded in the fall? Any other info on them would be appreciated
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2001
1:11 AM

Post #79537

Yes, they could be started now. They do reseed themselves, so you should have them for many years. Very easy to grow. Just sow and watch them grow.
Essensia
San Lorenzo, CA

June 3, 2001
4:58 PM

Post #79759

Hi woodspirit1 - Heck, give it a try. I just sowed some California Poppy seeds yesterday in containers. We'll see what happens!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2001
7:00 AM

Post #79980

The CA poppy should be sown directly in the ground as they are almost impossible to transplant. They develope a large deep taproot that enables them to withstand drought about as well as a cactus. They will keep coming back year after year even if they are mowed down and totally neglected! They will reseed themselves also. They need to be kept damp but not wet during their germination and for awhile until they have had a chance to estaplish a healthy tap root. after that they need virtually no care at all.

Good luck and enjoy! Hope this helped.
Essensia
San Lorenzo, CA

June 5, 2001
9:53 PM

Post #80491

Hi Zanymuse - great information! Hope you don't mind a follow-up question. Does "should be sown directly in the ground" mean "should be sown directly into its final location in the ground or a container", or does it mean "sow them only in the ground, not in containers"?

Mine are sown directly in their final containers (I'd read that they don't like to be transplanted), but if this is not advisable, I'll try them in-ground.

Thanks so much.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2001
12:46 AM

Post #80547

What about P. somniferum?? Should I wait until fall?
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 6, 2001
4:32 AM

Post #80647

They can be sown into pots if they are going to stay in the pot. Just make certain the pot is a deep one for the Tap root to have plenty of depth, I have dug up poppies with taps that are well over 20" deep and bigger around than my wrist! I haver never planted any in pots but have had one plant itself in one of my 1 gal. pots. It did great for awhile but died after 2 years Because the root was crowded and when I tried to plant it out it resented being moved! It seems that the only thing besides round up that will kill them is moving them!
Essensia
San Lorenzo, CA

June 6, 2001
2:55 PM

Post #80760

Hmm, my container is probably too shallow. We'll see what happens, and in the meantime, I'll sow again in a deep pot.

Thanks, Zanymuse. And woodspirit1, I hope you don't mind my adding questions on your thread...hope your poppies turn out beautifully!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America