"DON'T PARTIALLY HYDROGENATE ME"™

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I’m SO angry I could spit nails! I’m angry at myself for just skimming published literature instead of thoroughly investigating the facts, and I’m angry at the Food Industry for hiding ingredients that will kill me. And I’m angry at the Media for playing down information that could kill us, or with education and reform, help us.

This all started this morning with a Google search because I want to learn how to make light and fluffy biscuits without using Crisco or lard, which I know are partially hydrogenated fats and not particularly good for us. What I didn’t know was the extent of trans fats in our foods, nor what they really do to our bodies! I also didn’t know that they are usually hidden in the list of ingredients!

This is the first thing that came up while searching for biscuit recipes without partially hydrogenated fats:

Why are Trans Fats So Bad for You?

Trans fats are such a hidden part of the American diet, people have no idea what is contributing to their illness.

“Forty years after it’s been in the food system on such a large scale, what is becoming clear is that this is dangerous stuff,’’ Challen said.
“[A] defining moment... came when I looked at a box of breakfast bars. Half the fat was saturated fat, but there was NO animal product in the ingredient list,’
“This is in everything.”

—from The Trans Fat Solution

•Trans fat raises the level of bad cholesterol (LDL), which can make arteries inflexible and clogged and lead to strokes and heart attacks.

•Trans fats scrub away the good cholesterol (HDL) that keeps arteries clean.

•Trans fat also raises other bad blood lipids that can contribute to heart disease.

•But trans fat has what researchers are beginning to agree is a more insidious function the body: It actually reprograms how our cells work, causing lifelong damage that can lead to diabetes, stroke and possibly cancer.

•Unlike saturated fats from animals, trans fat aren't broken down by body heat. Its molecular structure is so different, so unnatural, that the body has no way to know exactly how to process it.

•That’s why some doctors, in particular the top nutrition and heart experts at Harvard University, believe trans fat is worse than saturated fat.

•People who eat a lot of trans fat are 50 percent more likely to develop heart disease than people who eat very little.

•The Nurses’ Health Study of 80,000 women also showed that for each 2 percent increase in the amount of calories from trans fat, a woman’s coronary risk will jump by 93 percent.

http://www.transfatsolution.com/transfat.html
---------------------------------------------
There is MUCH more, and I’m sure you will be sick of me listing all this stuff…. but this Forum is about Health, as much as anything.

- Look for the words hydrogenated, partially hydrogenated or fractionated in the list of ingredients. Trans fat comes from hydrogenation. The higher up partially hydrogenated oil is on the list of ingredients, the more trans fat the product has.

- Note the amount of total fat listed and compare it to the breakdown of specific fats on the label. The results may surprise you. A box of reduced-fat Triscuits, for example, has 3 grams of fat per 7-cracker serving. Saturated fats make up 1/2 gram and monounsaturated fats 1 gram. The crackers have no polyunsaturated fats, so the remaining 1 1/2 grams must be the only other kind of dietary fat -- trans fat.

One study, by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, showed that foods with partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredient list contained 1 gram of hidden trans fat for each gram of saturated fat. That means that Chips Ahoy cookies, for example, with 2 grams of saturated fat per serving also contain 2 additional grams of trans fat.

Are there any alternatives that don't contain trans-fats?

Yes. A couple of the manufacturers who have been making margarine and other spreads have reformulated their recipes to eliminate the trans fats. They have created their new packaging for these products in a way that makes them easy to distinguish them from others. They are announcing their new trans fat free products loud and clear, by adding big and bold letters TRANS FAT FREE. Still, read the ingredients to see if they got under the FDA's loophole.

What brands of trans fat free margarine, shortening, and spreads are available and where can I find them?

Smart Balance, Light and Regular, found in supermarkets everywhere.
Spectrum Organic Trans fat Free Shortening, available in the grocery, natural foods
Spectrum Naturals Spread and Spectrum Organic Margarine, available in the refrigerated dairy section in most Natural Foods Stores.

The demand for healthier foods continues to grow and more choices are on the way, so check out the dairy cases and shelves at your favorite markets and read the labels. No partially hydrogenated oil means no trans fats. I hope you will read the ingredients listed on all packages, and make your food choices according to what you want to eat - and what you prefer to avoid.

Monounsaturated fats are still the best fats for you because they help decrease high blood cholesterol levels, providing you keep a low fat diet of under 30% of your daily calories. Enjoy the more heart healthy fats in olive oil (extra virgin is even more naturally produced), canola oil, grape seed oil, walnut oil, and flaxseed oil.

Eat to your health!

The Top 10 Foods to Beware

By Jeanie Lerche Davis
Reviewed By Charlotte Grayson, MD on Thursday, July 10, 2003
WebMD Feature

If you're like most people, you're probably confused about trans fats. Which foods have them, and which don't? Which are the worst foods, which are the best?

WebMD turned to Cindy Moore, MS, RD, director of nutrition therapy at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for guidance. Print out this list to become a wiser, safer shopper. And remember to check the food labels. Manufacturers will probably begin reducing the amount of trans fats in packaged foods during the next few years, so this information may change.

The Top 10 "Trans Fat" Foods:

1. Spreads. Margarine is a twisted sister -- it's loaded with trans fats and saturated fats, both of which can lead to heart disease. Other non-butter spreads and shortening also contain large amounts of trans fat and saturated fat:

•Stick margarine has 2.8 grams of trans fat per tablespoon, and 2.1 grams of saturated fat.

•Tub margarine has 0.6 grams of trans fat per tablespoon, and 1.2 grams of saturated fat.

•Shortening has 4.2 grams of trans fat per tablespoon, and 3.4 grams of saturated fat.

•Butter has 0.3 grams of trans fat per tablespoon, and 7.2 grams of saturated fat.

Tip: Look for soft-tub margarine, because it is less likely to have trans fat. Some margarines already say that on the packaging.

[Important note: When you cook with margarine or shortening, you will not increase the amount of trans fat in food, says Moore. Cooking is not the same as the hydrogenation process. "Margarine and shortening are already bad, but you won't make them any worse."]

2. Packaged foods. Cake mixes, Bisquick, and other mixes all have several grams of trans fat per serving.

Tip: Add flour and baking powder to your grocery list; do-it-yourself baking is about your only option right now, says Moore. Or watch for reduced-fat mixes.

3. Soups. Ramen noodles and soup cups contain very high levels of trans fat.

Tip: Get out the crock-pot and recipe book. Or try the fat-free and reduced-fat canned soups.

4. Fast Food. Bad news here: Fries, chicken, and other foods are deep-fried in partially hydrogenated oil. Even if the chains use liquid oil, fries are sometimes partially fried in trans fat before they're shipped to the restaurant. Pancakes and grilled sandwiches also have some trans fat, from margarine slathered on the grill.

Examples:
Fries (a medium order) contain 14.5 grams.
A KFC Original Recipe chicken dinner has 7 grams, mostly from the chicken and biscuit.
Burger King Dutch Apple Pie has 2 grams.

Tip: Order your meat broiled or baked. Skip the pie. Forget the biscuit. Skip the fries -- or share them with many friends.

5. Frozen Food. Those yummy frozen pies, pot pies, waffles, pizzas, even breaded fish sticks contain trans fat. Even if the label says it's low-fat, it still has trans fat.

Mrs. Smith's Apple Pie has 4 grams trans fat in every delicious slice.

Swanson Potato Topped Chicken Pot Pie has 1 gram trans fat.

Banquet Chicken Pot Pie has no trans fat.

Tip: In frozen foods, baked is always heart-healthier than breaded. Even vegetable pizzas aren't flawless; they likely have trans fat in the dough. Pot pies are often loaded with too much saturated fat, even if they have no trans fat, so forget about it.

6. Baked Goods. Even worse news -- more trans fats are used in commercially baked products than any other foods. Doughnuts contain shortening in the dough and are cooked in trans fat.

Cookies and cakes (with shortening-based frostings) from supermarket bakeries have plenty of trans fat. Some higher-quality baked goods use butter instead of margarine, so they contain less trans fat, but more saturated fat.

Donuts have about 5 grams of trans fat apiece, and nearly 5 grams of saturated fat.

Cream-filled cookies have 1.9 grams of trans fat, and 1.2 grams of saturated fat.

Pound cake has 4.3 grams of trans fat per slice, and 3.4 grams of saturated fat.

Tip: Get back to old-fashioned home cooking again. If you bake, use fat-substitute baking products, or just cut back on the bad ingredients, says Moore. Don't use the two sticks of butter or margarine the recipe calls for two. Try using one stick and a fat-free baking product.

7. Chips and Crackers. Shortening provides crispy texture. Even "reduced fat" brands can still have trans fat. Anything fried (like potato chips and corn chips) or buttery crackers have trans fat.

A small bag of potato chips has 3.2 grams of trans fat.

Nabisco Original Wheat Thins Baked Crackers have 2 grams in a 16-cracker serving.

Sunshine Cheez-It Baked Snack Crackers have 1.5 grams per 27 crackers.

Tip: Think pretzels, toast, pita bread. Actually, pita bread with a little tomato sauce and low-fat cheese tastes pretty good after a few minutes in the toaster oven.

8. Breakfast food. Breakfast cereal and energy bars are quick-fix, highly processed products that contain trans fats, even those that claim to be "healthy."

Kellogg's Cracklin' Oat Bran Cereal has 1.5 grams per 3/4 cup serving.

Post Selects Great Grains has 1 gram trans fat per 1/2 cup serving.

General Mills Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal has .5 grams per 3/4 cup serving.

Quaker Chewy Low Fat Granola Bars Chocolate Chunk has .5 grams trans fat.

Tip: Whole-wheat toast, bagels, and many cereals don't have much fat. Cereals with nuts do contain fat, but it's healthy fat.

9. Cookies and Candy. Look at the labels; some have higher fat content than others. A chocolate bar with nuts -- or a cookie -- is likely to have more trans fat than gummy bears.

Nabisco Chips Ahoy! Real Chocolate Chip Cookies have 1.5 grams per 3 cookies. If you plow through a few handfuls of those, you've put away a good amount of trans fat.

Tip: Gummy bears or jelly beans win, hands down. If you must have chocolate, get dark chocolate -- since it's been shown to have redeeming heart-healthy virtues.

10. Toppings and Dips . Nondairy creamers and flavored coffees, whipped toppings, bean dips, gravy mixes, and salad dressings contain lots of trans fat.

Tip: Use skim milk or powdered nonfat dry milk in coffee. Keep an eye out for fat-free products of all types. As for salad dressings, choose fat-free there, too -- or opt for old-fashioned oil-and-vinegar dressing. Natural oils such as olive oil and canola oil don't contain trans fat.

Can you eliminate trans fats entirely your diet? Probably not. Even the esteemed National Academy of Sciences stated last year that such a laudable goal is not possible or realistic.

Instead, take this suggestion from Moore: "The goal is to have as little trans fat in your diet as possible. "You're not eliminating trans fats entirely, but you're certainly cutting back."

Published July 10, 2003.

SOURCES: Cindy Moore, MS, RD, director of nutrition therapy at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. Consumer Reports: "Bad fats in common foods." FDA: "Questions and Answers about Trans Fat Nutrition Labeling."

© 1996-2003 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.
http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/70/81100.htm

Wow Darius....message received, loud and clear LOL....Seriously, thanks for all the info and I will read the links. We use Brummel & Brown which has no trans fat per serving. Now that is kind of confusing bc I'm wondering if that means if you go over the "per serving" you will consume trans-fat???? Who knows. But a serving is a TBL and I NEVER put that much on a slice of bread. B&B is a yogurt based spread. They don't have the sticks down here but I'm told by some of my relatives up in the Hoosier state that their groceries carry them. I still use butter crisco for pie crusts though :-(. Our bloodwork is all good though but we don't eat a lot pie all the time either. Usually something I make when company comes. Thanks again for all the info!

Vic, I was finding Brummel & Brown locally (in tubs) but not lately. It's really good, and good for us... as far as I know.

Apparently, from what I read on more sites than I listed, the FDA doesn't require a listing of trans fats IF they a serving size small enough so that the amount is under their requirements for listing... or if the product actually has no trans fats regardless of serving size.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

darius - WOW! We're thinking along the very, very same lines today :)

After having 2 weeks of success on "South Beach", I'm not feeling better - I've lost weight but don't feel it will be sustainable, so my Dad tells me to buy this book immediately. I found it on Amazon for 3.95 and I'm elated about the future! It discusses all the issues you've laid out above but puts a good twist on with the fiber issue. Why didn't I ever just ask my Dad, who is 79, skinny and full of life and energy? Duh......

The book is called 20/30 and has every piece of food whether home cooked from scratch or purchased from grocery or "pick-up" with all trans-fat and fiber numbers. Their web site has only limited info, but I give it to you for an initial point of reference. Time for me to make some changes that will no longer be temporary :)

http://www.2030plan.com/reports/rfiber.htm

Thanks, both Vic & Dea!

I had considered putting this on the recipe forum, mainly because SO many of the wonderful sounding recipes I read there are so FULL of saturated fats and trans fats... and therefore so unhealthy, but I'm afraid I'd be immediately blackballed for being so controversial.

San Francisco, CA

I don't think you were here, when I had my huge transfats fit. I was feeling just like you, because the corn bread mix, I was using had transfat, and I had no idea.

I wanted to buy some without transfat but none can be found. If I want to add my own fat, I want to add butter, at least it tastes good, unlike partially hydrogenated soy bean oil.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I may be mistaken, but I thought using vegetable oils in cakes, etc. was better than animal fats and certainly was better in any/every way than hydrogenized and partially hydrogenized fats. I've been using olive and canola oils in recipes for years.

The only oils I keep in the house are olive and canola. Well, I do have sesame that I use sometimes when I stir-fry. Oh, and CoCo said to get one of those sprayer pump thingys. I got one so I can quit using Pam. The sprayer is so cool. You just give it a couple pumps and it will spray olive oil or whatever you put in it. It's really nice and doesn't give off that nasty odor that Pam does.

I keep olive oil, which I use 95% of the time; and some peanut oil for the occasional high temp cooking, and usually a little expeller-pressed safflower in the fridge (once opened) that I use in cakes and muffins. I don't use canola in anything.

Have you ever seen a canola plant? The name "canola" is a made-up name for rapeseed oil from Canada... "Can" for Canafa, and "ola" for oil because rapeseed oil or even Canoil doesn't sound like a good seller. They paid the US FDA $50,000,000 to be allowed to sell it in the US.

This message was edited Dec 31, 2003 8:54 AM

Some bright notes:

Mars Bars and Snickers are now made free of Trans Fats in England and Australia. (But not in the US)

Rolo and Toffee Crisp in England are now Trans Fat free, and Cadbury (England) is considering going that way.

In the US, Frito-Lay is now making Doritos, Tostitos, Fritos, Ruffles and Cheetos with 0 grams per serving Trans Fat Free.

In Canada, The Voortman Cookie mfg. dropped Trans Fats Nov. 24, 2003 after lobbying by the owner's daughter ( a Naturopathic physician) stopped eating his cookies altogether.

The lawsuit against Oreos was dropped, not because Oreos stopped using Trans Fats in the filling, but because the language in the lawsuit said that information about trans fats were not widely known. Since the filing of the suit, there has been more public awareness.

The lawsuit against McDonalds (which is not for money, by the way) is about the publicity a year or so ago when McDonalds made a big public thing about announcing they would reduce Trans Fats 50% in their fries. Later, they decided not to do so, and never corrected the publicity of the original announcment, leaving many people to think they are getting lower Trans Fats now.

Much of Europe has been getting away from Trans Fats in their foods for some time now.

Canada just launched a 5 year program which will track foods from the field to the packaging, involving 29 universities, 32 industries, 29 government departments and 87 researchers.

If you are counting trans fat grams and need a popcorn fix, look for Jolly Time's new Trans Fat Free Healthy Pop. Overall, it's 94 percent fat-free, which is significantly better than regular microwave popcorn. One serving has 90 calories and 2 grams of fat. We gave it a taste test and couldn't tell much difference between this new version and microwave popcorn.
http://www.sacbee.com/content/lifestyle/taste/story/8002024p-8938507c.html

Here's trans-fat free popcorn oil: http://www.thesoydailyclub.com/Food/hearthealthyoil05092003.asp

This message was edited Jan 1, 2004 10:09 PM

Here's another good link about trans-fats in margerines: http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/fitness/transfats.html

Here's a really good article about olive oils, why they are good, how to use them, which types, etc: http://franmccullough.com/goodfat/olives.php

Lakeview, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the fats info. That will be a big consideration for me since I have been using the low carb diet. I'm up another lb. but have cleaned house today and got rid of all christmas candy and nuts!
Zen

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Darius, what an interesting thread! What really surprised me is when I read butter also contains trans fats. I went to the refrigerator, looked at the butter box, and read that the total fat was 11g and the saturated fat was 7g. However, the only ingredients listed were cream and salt. Do you happen to know how trans fats manage to find their way into butter or did I miss something when reading this thread? Carol

Carol, all animal foods contain some trans fats, which they manufacture.

What my research didn't say was whether the trans fats' molecular chain is different for natural trans fats vs. the artificial trans fats made by adding hydrogen at high temps. My question, NOT based on any fact, is that although all trans fats are bad for us, surely the artificial ones are worse? Probably not.

I avoid most animal fats except that I like butter, but I rarely eat beef or pork anymore. My exceptions are about twice a year I eat a lean filet mignon, and occasionally, a pork tenderloin which I trim before cooking. Fat gives our meats their flavor and moisture. I make that up with broths. I rarely cook chicken (except for skinless, boneless breasts) unless I cook it, chill it, and de-fat it before using. If you ever bone a chicken thigh before cooking, you will be amazed at the pockets of hard chicken fat lurking hidden inside the thighs.

One stick of salted butter has 91.98 grams of total fat. The monounsaturated fats are 26.5 grams, polyunsaturated fats are 3.4 grams and saturated fats are 57.2 grams. That leaves 4.8 grams of trans fats in a stick of butter, or about 1.7 grams per tablespoon. Labelling laws are peculiar, protecting the manufacturer more than the consumer.

I do some of my cooking with a homemade "spread" of 1/2 melted butter and 1/2 oilve oil, mixed thoroughly as it cools, chilled and kept refrigerated. The remainder of my cooking is almost all done in olive oil. I use about a teaspoon of my spread to make 2 fried eggs, yielding just over 1/4 gram of trans fats, and then I blot the eggs before serving. Our USDA says anything under half a gram is considered trans fat free.

Even freshly milled flour contains a trace of trans-fats.

You want to keep Adam around for many years? Start eliminating trans fats where you can!

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Darius, I had a feeling you would know the answer if I asked. ;o) When I heard the information about trans fats I had thought it was primarily limited to processed foods such as stored bought cookies, cakes, chips, snacks and etc before I read this thread. Call me clueless here, but I hadn't considered the idea of dairy products or other livestock/poultry containing trans fats before - hence my question.
I hope deer meat doesn't have that many trans fats because we have a freezer full of it that we are going to eat this winter. As for doughnuts, chips, and etc, I'll let you personally scold Adam about those the next time we meet.
Carol

Deer meat seems low in fats. One pound has just under 11 grams of total fat. Here's a place to check it out: http://www.freeweightlosscenter.com/cc.htm

San Francisco, CA

I don't think it is worth the stress to worry about the transfat that is not the partially hydrograned soy bean oil, or also margarine can be bad. Bascially when they make a liquid fat solid, as in margarine or crisco shortnening, they hydroginate that fat. I am sorry I am such a terrible speller. I am only concerned with the made man transfats, those I believe are the dangerous ones. Oreo cookies for example are super bad. The point is if people feel that it is too difficult, they are likely to give up trying. Natural foods are better, for example nuts are good if you don't eat too many and they are not roasted in oil. Then one needs to limit even natural fats, (except for Atkins, but I am going to commit about Atkins), none the less if use fats in small amounts that are natural, you will be doing alright.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

darius, do you recall that Adele Davis started talking about hydrolyzed or hydrogenated fats all those years ago. She said we were better off with butter than eating margarine. Now I see why: the margarine has more hydrogen atoms added than butter contains.
One other note: if you are going to use margarine, the liquid type has even less trans fat (hydrogen atoms) that the soft tub type..

woodspirit, I quit eating margerine twice, lol.

The first tme I even remember margerine being in our house was during the war. It came in sticcks like butter, but was white like lard, and it came with a capsule of color you had to wqork into it to make it yellow. We quit using it as soon as butter became available again. Of course I was a child and really had no say in the matter.

I started reading Adele Davis as a young adult, and quit using margerine again then. We knew so little about healthy stuff in those days, and while it seems we are better informed now, I think we still just get pieces of the puzzle.

I also remember from her works the effect of different foods on blood sugar levels, esp. breakfast. What our blood sugar level is upon waking, and the effect of a meal of coffee, donughts, etc. raise those levels only to have them drop way below fasting level after an hour or two.

Conversely, a breakfast that included protein (eggs) and some fats (bacon) plus some minimal carbs (toast) raised our blood sugar levels to a functioning level and kept them up way into lunch time.

She had some amazing information in her books. I still have mine around somewhere, probably in a box.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have "Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit" and still use it from time to time.

Cool! I still have that one, too.

Bumping for Newcomers

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, since I just saw this, I think it's worth bumping again! Is there anything new to add?

The only thing new is the USDA regs for listing TransFats on packaging. Below a certain level, they can say "zero" even if there are some.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I have one of those olive oil sprayers and have been using it for the past couple of years. It's definitely one of the neatest kitchen gadgets I own.

Another ubiquitous ingredient to watch for is soy, which is also in everything. Soy binds iodine. Iodine is required for proper thyroid function. Low thyroid can slow metabolism, leading to fatigue and weight problems. Maybe we're not all fat and lazy. Maybe we're just eating too much soy.

Tempeh and soy sauce are okay, though, because the soy in them is fermented.

I've been trying to get soy out of my diet, but it's extremely difficult.

I don't do Soy excepting fermented soy sauce. Not ALL soy sauce is fermented.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I've heard we have too much soy in our diet and it is not all that good for us :) Which thrills me because I think tofu is for the birds!

Chappell Hill, TX(Zone 8b)

interesting thread. my daughter's doctor has her use coconut oil instead of olive oil for cooking, claims that above certain temp the olive oil becomes hydrogenated. any thoughts on this?

also, where do I get the sprayer so i can get rid of the Pam, can I just use a plastic spray bottle & how do you clean them to prevent them from smelling rancid?
thanks,
Donna

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Coconut oil, palm oil (not palm kernal oil), sesame oil, ghee (clarified butter) would be the best to use for cooking if you are going to use more than a low heat. These fats are more naturally saturated and therefore stable. The polyunsaturated fats are good in the source seed, but quickly oxidize when pressed or extracted, so we've eliminated them. It's extra virgin olive oil or one of the fats listed above.

Olive oil sprayers are available at most cookware stores or the cooking section of department stores.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I think the spray oil goes rancid when it's in contact with too much air... and I don't know a good way to keep air out of a plastic spray bottle. The common plastic spray bottles might not be safe for food-contact use, either. Please be very careful before using a spray bottle out of the craft or cleaning aisle in the grocery store - there are no guarantees they have been tested for food-use. There might be additives in the plastic spray bottles that keep them from reacting with the household cleaners they're meant for that could leach into food.

Used to work for a plastic company that made food-grade containers, so I know the ones that are "food safe", like Rubbermaid's form of "tupperware" and the like are safe - They go through more testing than you could even imagine to make sure nothing gets out of the plastic trays & films into your tummy (I promise! The lady that did this work was SOO sweet & SOO careful, she wouldn't let ANYBODY get sick if she had control of it).... Just not sure if the others are.. I'd hate for someone to get sick from additives just to prevent exposure to hydrogenated oils....

I used an olive oil sprayer until it pooped out. I think the air pumped into it might make the oil rancid if one didn't use it within a couple of weeks or so. I now keep my olive oil in an olive oil can so it's protected from light and I don't keep much oil in it. A good hot soapy wash cleans it just fine.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Pampered Chef has them, but they are pricey. :)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm bumping this to the top for those who haven't read it.

I want to add that millions of acres of rape(canola) are raised in the United States. It is not just an imported oil. Olive oil is also imported. So what is the difference there? The country we import it from is more friendly to the U.S. ? I don't think so.

Thanks, leaflady. Yes, we grow rapeseed, a Montsanto product. California produces lots of olive oil, it's not ALL imported.

Bump

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Darius. I hope many read this and take heed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images