Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Heirloom Vegetables: bottle onions

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 11, Views: 373
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2004
12:10 PM

Post #743968

I have been looking for a source for these. If anyone has any to trade or knows of a website where I could order some I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 4, 2004
1:02 PM

Post #743992

Kathy,

When Brook stops by he can tell you where to get what some call bottle onions. He's posted about them elsewhere last Spring.

Carolyn

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2004
2:02 PM

Post #744047

KathyJo, I found this:

"OLD-FASHIONED BOTTLE ONION

This heirloom is a favorite among onion lovers who have tried it. The taste is not overly strong; it's spicy, without much heat, and most sweet varieties taste sickly when compared to this good-flavored one.

Although on the small side, averaging about 4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick, these whitish-purple, bottle-shaped bulbs are the best storage onions available in my opinion. They are raised mostly from sets and certainly outlast any of the milder-flavored varieties in storage conditions.

Grown for generations in the Pennsylvania Dutch country, old-fashioned bottle onions still are quite popular there as a home remedy, particularly as a poultice for colds.

As far as I know, no commercial sources existů"

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m1279/199/105915723/p1/article.jhtml

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2004
2:03 PM

Post #744049

Johnny's offers a bottle onion called Red Long of Tropea. You may want to check that out.Looks like a nice dark red. You know,bottle onions aren't good keepers.You have to use them quickly.

Brook gets his bottle onions from a man in Milroy ,PA who isn't on line. He may be Amish. I'll check and see if he has his address. Brook has let his subscription lapse and isn't renewing.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2004
2:59 PM

Post #744083

I just read the link darius posted. It has the address there.
Baa

January 4, 2004
4:59 PM

Post #744171

http://images.google.com/images?q=onion+Rossa+Lunga+di+Firenze&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Is this the shape you're referring to as a bottle onion? If so, they are reasonably available in the UK
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2004
9:07 PM

Post #744343

This summer I bought some bottle onions from a farmer's market here. Seeing that they were great tasting I thought I might just plant the rest. No luck with propagation. Soooo. Also no luck finding the guy that sold them again.
It looks like the Mother Earth News article left an address for a Mr. Yoder that might have some to sell. I will certainly try that and then maybe if that doesn't work I will order some from Baa's address.
Also maybe I could catch up with Brook at BakerCreekSeed's again this year.
Melody, no problem with me using onions quickly. I am more into the fry them up with something --- Now my mouth is watering ... rather than winter storage. Although I like them all.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2004
2:12 AM

Post #744585

Onions don't go bad here either...I find it utterly impossible to cook a meal without an onion in the house...freaks me out and I can't cook even oatmeal if I know I'm without an onion.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2004
2:10 PM

Post #747554

Note to self: politely decline Mel's oatmeal...

*grin*
Dravencat
Edgewater, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2004
2:25 PM

Post #751965

ROFLMBO Terry, I was just thinking "what the heck can oatmeal taste like with an onion"?

Own note to self: follow Terrys lead and remark on the chipped beef gravy waiting on me.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2004
1:14 PM

Post #753715

I don't actually put onions _in_ my oatmeal folks...I just can't cook without one in the house! Freaks me out and nothing comes out right...even oatmeal!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2004
1:47 PM

Post #753745

snort, giggle...

Awww, Mel - I knew what you meant, just had to give you a hard time :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 27 Sep 15, 2014 5:50 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America