Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daylilies: Late Season Rebloomers

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 12, Views: 889
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pins2006
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2004
2:36 PM

Post #747575

Okay, I took the plunge and lost myself to the half off sale at Iowa Daylilies. I think I need to cull out a couple of plants and need some advise. I got almost all rebloomers (except for Wedding Band which is a cream with a yellow edge that I couldn't resist).

My question has to do with the probablilty of reblooming when the description says mid to late season rebloomer. I live in Atlanta, GA. Do you think they have a chance of reblooming?

Thanks!
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2004
10:20 PM

Post #748928

I definitely had rebloomers up until frost here in Iowa. I don't know what happens in Southern gardens.
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2004
11:23 PM

Post #748979

I'm trying the late rebloomers, because my daylilies seem to poop out in the heat of the summer. Even Stella! The only one that didn't this summer was Purple d'Oro. The rebloomers start back up in the fall, but that leaves me about 6 weeks of no daylilies, except the occasional Purple d'Oro.

I'm hoping late bloomers will tolorate the heat a little better. If they start late, they might not poop out so soon. Does that make sense? I hope so.

Cheri'
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2004
2:11 AM

Post #749141

Where do I find Purple d'Oro? Is it a small plant like Stella?
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2004
2:26 AM

Post #749151

Our local Wal-Mart sells it in the Spring. It is in a box.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2004
2:27 AM

Post #749153

Thanks, I'll look for it there when spring ever gets here.
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2004
2:37 AM

Post #749160

It's a little larger than Stella. Nice. I don't find any online, so I guess garden centers are prolly the best place to get 'em.

I don't remember where mine came from. I got it a long time ago.

For a long time I looked for Ruby Stella to complete my collection - LOL. But I never found it. I have Stella d'Oro, Tiny Stella and Purple d'Oro. Purple is the only one that performed for me.

Cheri'
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2004
4:58 AM

Post #749235

If it's a late season re-bloomer, wouldn't you have a better chance of rebloom than someone in the north? you guys stay warmer longer, after the heat of summer has passed.
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2004
12:20 PM

Post #749325

I'm sure that all of the re bloomers will re-bloom from late August until frost. That has been my experience so far.

In my garden, daylilies take July and August off. I'm hoping that the late blooming re bloomers will help fill that gap.

Cheri'

Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 3, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #3811319

A newer Stella-type daylily that I really like is 'Going Bananas'. It blooms as long as Stellas/Happy Returns/Rosy Returns but has a bigger flower and a really nice yellow color.

I took this in my garden today. Its paired with Sedum 'Black Jack' in the background.

Thumbnail by Christabelle
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 3, 2007
12:27 AM

Post #3811326

Here's another shot.

Thumbnail by Christabelle

Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2007
12:34 PM

Post #3812682

Wow! An old thread that resurfaced? I've made it a practice to visit local growers in August to see what is still blooming--lots of yellow, but other colors too if you look for them.

My Spacecoast Sunburst is sending up more thick bud stalks.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #3812699

I notice Mel's Folly is in full bloom right now.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM
Do you ever top dress your lilies? When? bluegrassmom 89 Mar 20, 2007 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America