Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Metal markers suppliers?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Where do you buy yours? I am taking the plunge. I have looked on the Eons site, any more out there? I like the look of the copper ones but they are so high!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

The Everlast label company http://www.everlastlabel.com/

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

I am thinking of ordering from Everlast (PawPaw) myself. I think the rose marker ones look best, anyone try them? Also, I have a dymo label-maker, think that will work?

Thanks for asking, bluegrass, and for the link, poppysue!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Which Dymo, John? I think it's the Dymo100 and up that are good for plant labels. They need the special tape for outdoor use. I had a Dymo and it did very well but the thing started acting up after a year or so. Certain letters would not come out or they would print an entirely different letter.

I just got a new P-Touch label maker last fall and so far it seems to be working great. You can also use pencil or a china marker on the galvanized labels. I think the permanent markers hold better on them than plastic too. I use the "C" cap style markers. Those and the rose markers are great for daylilies. The single staff markers are the worst.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I use the rose markers for my daylilies. They're tall enought to see when the daylilies get full. I use a dark "autograph" pen that stays well. I need the big , dark letters for my old eyes.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

I dunno- I like Eon rose markers. They are the cheapest that I have found, and the way I go through them, that's a GOOD thing!

I use a black paint pen on them, and it weathers just fine.

Thanks for the information. My Dymo is just called Office-Mate II, and I did not know about the outdoor tape.

Eon sounded fine also, I think those were the ones from the co-op.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I've been using zinc markers for several years and am very happy with them. I write on them with a regular "lead" pencil and the writing doesn't fade or wear off. It's not nearly as dark as magic marker but it's fine with me. The graphite of the "lead" causes the zinc to corrode a little and that etches the writing shallowly into the zinc.

Excellent... Thanks, Kelli.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

One lady had mentioned to always write on the underside too. It gets less sun and rain and the writing will last longer.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I label mine too where they go under the soil as that area seems to last pretty well.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I use the zink plant labels from everlast, the cap labels. and I have a ptouch 550 and use the clear tape with black ink, I've tried a permenant marker and a paint pen both don't last in the sun. someone told me the clear tape with black ink holds up in the sun, so I'm trying this this year.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I was to a gardening symposium over the weekend. The lady uses AVERY weatherproof labels & a computer printer on metal stakes! She says they've stayed for 2.5 years now. She also reccommended the Martha Stewart garden marker from KMART.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Wanda I will check out the ones at KMart too.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

PoppySue is right...

has some great rose markers with extra tall stakes.

On the link above, have a look at choice F,
which is called the Double Wire Standard.
It is a tall display marker which the company
itself advises for daylilies.

30...$20.20 (.67 each)
100..36.25 (.36 each)
1000...281.50 (.28 each)

21" tall zinc nameplate is 1 1/4" x 3 1/2".
I prefer to use the Avery Weatherproof labels in
addition to the zinc markers.

You can print the labels on your computer,
typing nice and neat, several lines to include
all the information needed.

After you've typed your info, just print and stick them
on a nice clean marker. Wa-la!

The labels are:

Avery WeatherProof White Labels #5520.
They are 1" x 2 5/8".
From my source, the stickers run .03 each.
They come 30 labels per sheet, 50 sheets.
You can also use them for address labels,
pot labels, etc.

Combining the two averages out to about .39 each,
too bad you can't order just what you need, though.

The way I look at it, the labels last for years,
the stickers make them nice and neat, easily read,
clean, crisp and nice looking. Who knows, you may
one day be an AHS display garden.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Where do you get the Avery labels. I've got to do some more permanent labeling this year... that in itself is going to be a huge task!

Sounds like printing them on the computer would be the quickest, rather than hand writing all of them.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Melissa,

I purchase all of my office supplies from:

The item number is G08-5520A

Shipping is always free with orders over $25.00.
They have sales all the time and you get free stuff
when you purchase certain items, you just have to
scan the catalogs when they come to see if what you
use the most of is on sale or comes with a bonus.
I stock up when the price is right.

The last order I placed for these came to $50.38 for
1,500 labels.

Hope this helps!

:-) Wuvie

I am waffling between the avery labels and the dymo label maker. Anyone else want to weigh in on this before I decide?

I can't read a LOT of the labels just from last year.... mini blinds, popsicle sticks with permanent marker, so I've got to do something else.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I bought a Brothers P-touch 2500 pc labeler, during the winter. It does a great job making labels up to 1"...in your choice of colors. I get the labels from a fellow on e-bay, and they are much cheaper that way.
The labeler hooks up to the computer, so you can copy and paste info. onto it!
I really like it! Very permanent labels! that I put on the EOS, metal stakes.

Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

Here are some markers I use. This is a ONE TIME MARKER!! Made of a plasctic used for signs, I engrave them then write in the engraved area with a paint pen. I use solid core plastic coated clothesline wire for the stakes. One woman I know has used these for 10+ years and they look as good as mine do still to this day. This will be the last marker you'll ever have to use. That in it's self is worth alot.

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

another pic

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

The thing I like most about them is that they don't stick out like a sore thumb. They get lost in the foliage quite well so as not to detract from the plant. And tough!! I clamped one in a vise at work and started putting pressure on it and never did break just sort of bent over. Very durable.

Where do you get the plastic at? I like the look of those, I"d probably like the price a lot better too.

Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

The lady that introduced me to them lives in Paducah,Ky. Her nephew is a sign maker and sells wholesale. This stuff is high. It's 15.00 per sheet 24"x18". I can get 84 out of a sheet and there is a 10 sheet minimum. Be better off to go to a local sign maker and see if they carry it. Not sure what type of plastic it is but is easy to work with. The wire is available at Lowes or probably Home Depot as well. It's a 100' roll so I can get 100 out of a roll at $7.00 per roll. I figure I have 24 cents each in them and I'll never have to do it again. I'll see what I can find out about it next time I see her.

Please do, even if I have to buy the 10 sheets, it would still be cheaper in the long run than the Zinc markers.

Thanks David

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

Now it's 2006 - any new recommendations for zink markers other than Paw Paw Everlast Label Co. or EON. Paw Paw seems cheapest with their free shipping.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I ordered 1000 from Paw Paw of style E and received them within a week of ordering.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

maybe a marker co-op again!!!! ;)

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I bought 100 from everlast label, size E to use with DLs and have been extremely happy. Use a P-touch labeler, then spray with clear varnish and they seem to last quite well. However, my neighbor has a HUGE dog, and when he or my Lab trample thru my gardens, the metal plates get bent easily from their stepping on them. No big deal as they are easy to straighten out.

However, I would be interested in somebody posting whether the EON brand is a stronger gauge metal. Having said that, if price difference is much, I would stay with Everlast Labels, because, as I said, the everlast metal plates are easy to reshape if bent. Just making an observation.

I think Cheryl did the co op with Everlast didn't she? With pawpaw it's so easy for a couple of people to go together to buy the markers, 500 markers fit perfectly in a flat rate box! ;0) If you get a 1000 you end up paying like 23 cents each for them.

I agree with Vossner, they do bend easily, but, they easily bend back to shape too. I don't know that I have any of the everlast markers to compare them to the pawpaw labels.

Hmmm I need a few hundred more, might not be a bad idea for a small co op.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2006 12:25 AM

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Melissa ............. believe it or not, I'm ready to order again too. LOL

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

I can't believe how fast I go through these metal markers!

Yes, I know, and I plan on using them in the vegie garden this year too, just to help keep things straight. My "regular" splitter and I only need 800 between us. Should I post in the co op forum, or just ask here if anyone needs to pick up some.

I did email them, and anything over 1000 is still the 23.95 per hundred price, meaning if someone else wanted to go with us and get 300, we wouldn't have to go all the way to 2000 to get another price break.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I might be interested in 100 if numbers work. so it would be $23.95 shipped to you, plus postage to me, right. Unless it's shipped to me parcel post, cheapest, seems like this is pretty close to me buying directly from them. Is that right?

I'd do the flat rate box, so it would be 8.10 shipping, or total of 32.05. It costs 33.40 to buy from them, so yep, basically the same thing. Now, 200 from our split would be 56.00, and from PawPaw direct it would be 66.80, so a decent savings there.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks melissa. I guess I will pass. getting at least 200 makes this worthwhile, but I don't need that many.

Georgetown, KY(Zone 6a)

I just ordered another 300 from Eon this morning. Dawn at Eon said their plates are a little thicker than Everlast. I had asked about a co-op for markers to get the discount, but only one person said anything. If interested her phone is [419]533-4961.
Everlast only takes snail mail and e-mail orders. I will not leave my charge number in an unsecured e-mail, [I'd rather give it to a person], and snail mail is to slow.
I will get my order by Thursday this way, I don't know how long Everlast would take. I bought several hundred last year, and I think I got a good deal since they are like new after this winter.

The times that I've ordered, the turn around has been really quick from Everlast. Normally less than a week from me sending the check to the markers arriving.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

From Everlast, I've gotten my order by Friday, when mailed on Monday...they're very fast.

TuddyE - how much was the shipping for 300 markers, with Eon?

For this area, Eon charges 8.75 per hundred I think.

I think I'll go ahead and post a small co op in case anyone is interested in them that isn't watching this thread. :-)

This message was edited Apr 4, 2006 4:09 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.