Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Trading: Need trees

Communities > Forums > Seed Trading
bookmark
Forum: Seed TradingReplies: 10, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Meghan
Cobleskill, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2000
7:38 PM

Post #79

We just got the bad news. Our yard has been flooding and we need to do major "yard construction". Two
willow trees also need to come out. I love these trees! They are the only big trees we have and the only
ones that provide shade. Does anyone know what could replace them? Hopefully something that grows quickly. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2000
9:42 PM

Post #45023

Can you plant new willow trees? I've always heard they grow pretty fast, especially if you have an underground water source. I love the 2 willows in my backyard and feel badly for you.
Meghan
Cobleskill, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2000
9:48 PM

Post #45024

Sadly,no. We need to put in all kinds of perforated pipes to divert the water and the roots will plug them. I guess willows are the only trees that will do this, we had to take down one already because it plugged our perimiter drain pipe. What a mess!!!I hate to loose these two. I will only have one left, and it is not in the best spot. I would really like to replace them as soon as I can. Do you have any ideas?
Meghan
Cobleskill, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2000
2:17 PM

Post #45049

My local cooperative extension,were the ones to tell us we needed to do all this work. They sell trees in the spring but don't provide a whole lot of info on them. I have just started my on-line research on this, and haven't gotten very far yet. I see lots of trees for trade on garden web, but have no idea what most of them are. Hey I am still trying to figure out what most flowers are!!!!!
Sari
Saint Helen, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2000
2:52 AM

Post #45063

Megan,

Your local coop and/or soil conservation district has really nice trees and the price is usually really good. I would recommend that you check out other near by counties as price and selection vary. BTW most also include info about planting and growing the trees and/or shrubs you select.

Hope that helps.
Sari
kimdc
Plato, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2000
12:53 PM

Post #45183

Megan,
I have lil trees and seeds I can send you.I think the fastest growing I have are sweetgum beautiful shade tree.Looks alot like a maple.

Also have cedar.Think that is the next fastest,but not the greatest shade type tree.I've got Blk.Jack oak,wht oak,hickory,apples,plums,pears.

Would be glad to help if I can,let me know...Kim C
Meghan
Cobleskill, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2000
11:44 PM

Post #45212

Thank you everyone for this great info!!!
Semiplena
Fremont, CA

November 7, 2000
10:09 PM

Post #45375

Rise Ann, I'd like a copy of the tree info!

Thanks,

Mike

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Seed Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My seeds Holly 7 Dec 7, 2010 4:21 AM
wanted orange coneflower SEEDLADY 22 Aug 31, 2007 5:28 AM
Have: Primula Elatior, Mesembryanthemum, Cuphea Ignea babalu 9 May 3, 2010 10:57 AM
looking for mimosa tree seeds (pods) jishro 53 Jan 20, 2011 5:03 PM
Another source for SASE seeds Terry 32 Jun 7, 2011 8:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America