Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Arum Lily, Calla Lily (Zantedeschia aethiopica)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 5, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2004
2:27 AM

Post #769214

Calla Lily, Arum Lily
Zantedeschia aethiopica

Calla Lily bloom just opening backlit by morning sunlight. (San Antonio, Tx.)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/768/

Thumbnail by htop
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2004
1:07 PM

Post #769493

That is going to be a beautiful sight for Valentine's Day! I have some bulbs, doing poorly, that are supposed to be Z. aethiopica, but the foliage is splotched with white/silver dots and the overall size seems much smaller. They only reach about 15 inches tall, and blooms are not spectacular. When I bought them, I thought I was getting this big robust plant like the photos here at Dave's look. OH well, can't expect much from Walmart.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2004
2:12 PM

Post #769536

I know the ones you are talking about. They are the dwarf kind. I had planted several of those a couple of years ago, but they finally died. I think I watered them too much or bugs ate the bulbs. This one grows to 3 feet and can withstand temperatures down to 10 degrees. The leaves are somehat ruffled. The foliage itself is beautiful. I am trying out 3 of them. Thet better do well because they were $8.95 apiece! Thanks for your comments.

This message was edited Sunday, Feb 1st 10:13 AM
Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2004
10:53 PM

Post #770821

Wow, $8.95 apiece! The details page says they can be a nuisance, invasive, etc.
You said you might have overwatered your other bulbs (like mine)...I thought they needed moist soil. Maybe I am overwatering, too. Any suggestions?
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2004
12:57 PM

Post #771201

That's why I kept mine moist too. I really don't have any suggestions because I just purchased these. I'll let you know how they do. This might be a good question on one of the forums because I don't know much about these plants. I'll ask the guys at the nursery where I purchase most of my plants. I had to call them yesterday because I had bought quite a few red spider plant bulbs from them and the directions said to plant them in full sun or partial shade. It took me sometime to decide where to plant them in full sun because my yard doesn't have many full sun areas anymore. I planted them and then found a forum where people in Texas were discussing these plants. They stated that they can't be in full sun here because they scorch. So, I called the guys and they said that they need to be in partial shade. Now, I have to dig them up and replant them.
Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2004
4:03 PM

Post #772190

Hopefully they have not already started to send out roots. I guess you mean lycoris? I, too, have no full sun left. The little bit of sun I have is at midday, when it is least welcome. If only we could give everything bright morning sun, and light afternoon shade...that seems to be the very best for most plants.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America