Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Silk Tree, Mimosa Tree, Pink Siris (Albizia julibrissin)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 5, Views: 178
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jeff_Beck
McKinney, TX

February 6, 2004
2:05 AM

Post #773504

Silk Tree, Mimosa Tree, Pink Siris, Persian Silk Tree
Albizia julibrissin

Tree has escaped cultivation and has become naturalized
in Texas.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1764/

Thumbnail by Jeff_Beck
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nipajo
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2004
7:11 AM

Post #775584

Your right, you see this tree everywhere in Texas. It grows fast and die's fast. It's roots tear up sidewalks and foundations. They also grow like weeds everywhere but mostly on a fence line. I would call this a trash tree. The only thing pretty about it is the blossom.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2006
1:27 PM

Post #2664218

I believe they are trash trees as well, but they sure do attract hummingbirds by the dozens
Jubedo
West Plains, MO

May 30, 2007
5:52 PM

Post #3553171

We have 3 mimosa trees in our front yard, and the 2 end ones are doing NOTHING this year, when last year at this time, they were in full bloom. The one in the middle bloomed beautiful purple in early spring, (last summer it had the same pink flowers as the other two.) It also has this terrible creeping vine plant wrapped thru it this year that seems to be taking over. Can the trees die that quickly,? (they are about 35 feet high, and about as wide) and what do you do wih the vine wrapping through it? It's actually attaching itself to the tree. Also, the tree is loaded with huge carpenter ants. Help! We just moved here last summer so we don't know much about the natural vegetation. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Jubedo
West Plains, MO

May 30, 2007
5:55 PM

Post #3553189

Also, do the flowers create any type of danger to dogs ingesting them? My dachsaund went crazy last year trying to get to the flowers on the ground, and eating as many as she could reach. Might they have a sweet taste? Has any body else's dog done this?
lindamj48
Crawfordville, FL

August 23, 2010
3:52 AM

Post #8056576

This is one beautiful tree, the one and only downfall is that it will spread like wildfire, and I mean everywhere, i've been pulling little ones out of all my plants, in places you wouldn't even think it could grow. Be sure you want this before you plant it. In my rural area there was not one of these trees, until I decided I wanted one, got 2 from my mother-in-laws, she tried to tell me I didn't want it, but I thought I knew better, now they are all over this area, not just my yard, sorry I ever brought it home. You can not get rid of them once they are there. So think three times before you do, your neighbors might not like these trees, and they will have them in their yard also.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America