Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Peppers: Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 117, Views: 1,645
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 11, 2004
7:42 PM

Post #779046

Here in Florida we have "Publix Supermarkets" and this is where I bought these 2-3in. multi colored peppers. They were packed in plastic pint containers, but they did not have a name. They were as sweet as "candy". I just started to grow peppers(one plant)and I am hooked on them along with my tomatos. Can you tell me the name and where to buy them from seed? I already ordered a heat mat.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2004
8:54 PM

Post #779112

You mean each pepper is multi-colored? Or in the pack were peppers of different colors?

Those sound pretty interesting to me! Can you post a pic (or did you eat them all!?).

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2004
10:17 PM

Post #779163

i saw the same thing in sams club last week. i think the label said they were sweet mini peppers. there were about a dozen in each bag and they were different colors. some were red, some yellow, some orange and some green. first time i saw anything like it.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2004
11:00 PM

Post #779199

Goodness...ya'll should save some seed from them. There might be a good chance they're hybrids but who knows. Sure would be fun to try, eh?

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 11, 2004
11:52 PM

Post #779244

The seeds are immature and they really can be classified as seedless. Their website(masterstouch)doesn't tell much and that is why I figured I'd contact the "Pepper Pros" although they may be their own exclusive, but I tell you they are "DELICIOUS". Gotta have them. They cost $2.99 for a pint container that contain only twelve tiny peppers. If you break it down to cost per pound it would be approxiametly $15.00 or more per lb.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2004
12:39 AM

Post #779275

Well kids just goes to show you lots of places have things for sale though not priced or marketed the same way.

I just bought from Costco a 1.5 lb package of Master touch colored mini peppers for $3.50 it would seem there are at least 30 plus peppers in the cello folding tray.

On the back it says Distrubted by Bionova Produce Inc 520 281 2612

RB packing of CA 619 661 2560

And www.mastertouch.com along with produce of Mexico.

Shoe I am going to pickle these this weekend I will see how the seeds look in these. No reason for them to be immature since these are full grown but maybe so if they are the result of a mutant cross. I have seen seeds for this kind of pepper in one of my seed catalogs. I will look by this weekend. Ernie
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2004
1:39 AM

Post #779337

http://www.masterstouch.com/Fruits&Vegs_PeppVineSweet.html

i want to go find some now, sound yummy.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 12, 2004
2:28 AM

Post #779381

Eweed -- 30 peppers= 1.5lbs? The peppers I am referring to are much smaller 3or 4in. at the most.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2004
2:42 AM

Post #779390

Hmm...I'd try to germ them seeds. If the peppers have changed colors there's a chance they are mature.

Ernie, give em a try. It couldn't hurt! (Peppers do cross easily tho, so be prepared for that, too.) I would imagine they are hybrids tho, and not mutants. Hmmm...wonder which would be more stable tho? Either, or neither?

eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2004
4:03 AM

Post #779448

Tplant thats what I said I bought 1.5 pounds of a sweet pepper that came in a package and now I counted them 38 orange and red peppers.

Some of them measure 3 ,3&7/8,and two were 4 inches these were on top easy to view. The peppers underneath were as small as an inch.

Since yours were more uniform and in a smaller container I suspect they were graded by the packer while mine were bulk packed to get rid of the less desireable sizes. I suspect they are the same breed. Probably came from the same part of mexico.

Shoe couldn't stand it I cut three open and took the seeds and they look mature to me I can dry them for you if you want them Im going to plant lots of other types so I wont mess with them not enough time. They are very sweet though and will pickle nicely. Ernie
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2004
2:12 PM

Post #779662

Totally tomatoes sells a minibelle mix, open pollinated, tiny belles, green but ripening to yellows and reds. While there are hundreds of pepper varieties, I can't identify specific cultivars that match your description.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2004
4:24 PM

Post #779758

Ernie, that'd be great! I'll grow some out and see what we get from them. I'll send an SASE to ya, hopefully today or tomorrow.

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2004
5:19 PM

Post #779809

tplant - i'm looking through the thompson and morgan catalogue and on page 174 i see these sweet peppers which are 3 to 4 inches long. are these the ones you saw in the store?
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 13, 2004
1:23 AM

Post #780352

Herbie -- I was coincidentely looking at the same page and it sure looks like them.

Eweed -- Please taste them and tell me if they are sweet as sugar and also the seeds are tiny white and immature. Actually, you can eat the pepper without taking out the seeds!The package confirms the distributor as Bionova and product of Mexico.I just confirmed it with my $2.99 package of 10 not 12 as originally stated. I am eating one as I am typing.
Please let us know if we can grow from seed as I am not too familiar with the process? I CAN'T BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE OF PRICES!
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2004
4:52 AM

Post #780491

Shoe hold the sase I can do this I have your address remember.

Yes they are sweet and I surely intend to eat them seeds and all that is all except those I send shoe.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2004
2:38 PM

Post #780682

Hah...yum yum eat-em-up!

Thanks, ernie. I preshate it! Will be looking forward to them!
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 13, 2004
4:34 PM

Post #780784

Hey Shoe -- Better cultivate enough for all of us! WE'll be
a watchin and a waitin ya and a droolin!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2004
4:41 PM

Post #780792

HAH...Will do, T!
lockman
king, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2004
8:12 PM

Post #780947

Shoe-Sounds like what we've grown for years. Jingle Bell is what they were called originally-beautiful,red,little peppers. Now they call them mini-bells & baby bells. You can get them in yellow & chocolate,also. We have good luck with them-the first,sweet peppers in the garden to turn red. There are lots of peppers on each plant. The walls are a little thin compared to regular bell peppers but they are great to stuff. We get our seeds at Seed Savers Exchange.
At what Farmers'Market do you sell?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2004
8:19 PM

Post #780952

lockman, so it you can get them from Seed Savers then that's a pretty good chance they are OP and non-hybrid. Thanks for the info!

I used to sell in Carrboro but for the past 11 or 12 yrs have sold only at our 'little' market in town here. (I haven't decided yet, completely, whether I will return this year tho.)

lockman
king, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2004
9:21 PM

Post #781009

SHOE; Sound like to much work an not enough money.I know if you don't sell a lot of pepole will be upset.How many sells at your market.We sell at the KING FARMER Market an I know about how much work it is for the small amount of money.People don't unstand how much work goes into growing for the market.I have enjoyed your INFO ON THIS SITE. thanks Lockman
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2004
10:34 PM

Post #781030

Great! You're a market gardener!

Hope you check out the Market Growers Forum! See you over there, okay? (Meanwhile, I'll check my map and see how far King is from here...for some reason I believe it's up 52, around Tobaccoville.)
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2004
4:32 AM

Post #781316

Lockman I grew jingle Bells two years ago and the ones I grew were green and red and shaped differently than these. Ernie
lockman
king, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2004
11:06 PM

Post #781938

Ernie The ones we grow look like baby bell peppers. What does the ones you have look like. LOCKMAN
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2004
1:18 AM

Post #782030

Tapered not like a bell at all ernie
lockman
king, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2004
2:27 PM

Post #782412

Ernie Hope you can fine out what they are. Sounds like they would be fun to grow. THANKS LOCKMAN
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2004
3:07 PM

Post #848653

Finally found this thread again, thanks to Ernie.

Just wanted to say nearly ALL the seeds Ernie sent germinated. The plants are still small but I hope to set them out this week now that we are definitely warming up here!

(Lockman, next time I'm over your way I'll check out your market.)
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2004
7:52 PM

Post #848872

Shoe -- That's great news . Thanks for the update.
faronell
Henderson, NV
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2004
9:35 PM

Post #852828

I bought those same mini - peppers at Costco. They are terrific. Try throwing them on the grill with whatever meat you're doing. Leave them whole, maybe brush with a tiny bit of olive oil. If you thought they were sweet raw, wait til grilled!! Have also skewered (whole) with other veggies and shrimp and threw on the barbie. PLEASE, if someone finds the seed source, let us all know.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2004
6:09 AM

Post #879271

shoe how big are the peppers now.

outside yet. Ernie
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 22, 2004
2:46 PM

Post #879456

Hi Shoe --- Dying to know how the sweet little gems turned out!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2004
2:50 PM

Post #879458

Yep...I set them outside (30 of them) May 14th. Nearly every single seed you sent germinated and you must've sent 50 or so!

The plants are still small and just getting settled in good. Our days are now increasingly warmer (95* yesterday!) so I expect good fast growth now!

Will post a pic when they get a little more size on them!
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2004
4:37 PM

Post #879526

I put some sweet banna wax in the ground about three weeks ago but they are on strike due to the cold 46 last night and 54 right now it may get to 60 but no more. Send me 10 degrees lol.

How will you know if they are hybrid any way to tell besides guessing.

Glad they had such a good germ rate for you. Dont even hybrids sometimes throw true to form seeds first time out?

Did you get my message about window box roma?. Ernie

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2004
8:27 PM

Post #879740

If they are hybrid they were most likely F1 hybrids. First generation hybrids hold their characteristics and vigor but seed from those are not stable. We'd have to stabilize them, or hope so, and that may take 4-7 or more generations.

If these plants don't produce the peppers that have the same taste/characteristics of the ones you purchased then we'll know they are hybrids and not stabile.

Often-times hybrid seed will be either sterile OR just not produce the desired plant/fruit. I was excited to see such a great germination rate on these! At this point in time it's a wait and see game. If some of the plants produce the peppers that we're looking for then those will be the ones to save seeds from. If some plants produce a pepper that is much different it would be that it is reverting back to one of the parent stock or an oddball mix of the parent stock or something all-together different, i.e. something further back in the ancestry or a mutant of some kind.)

By the way, don't remember getting a message about the window box roma. Was it thru email?
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2004
9:30 PM

Post #879810

shoe yes but I am not very good with comp maybe it didnt get sent. Question was did I send you window box roma and if so since you planted way before me how big is the plant. I am trying to figure out if it will go in a deck container. Ernie
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2004
12:09 PM

Post #880286

Yes, you sent me some of those seeds. Plants are still small but from what I understand they only get about 18 inches tall. I'd go ahead and put yours in a pot on the deck.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2004
4:23 AM

Post #1104806

Tplant did you find a pepper to grow to fill the bill?

Window box Roma is a pretty little plant that belongs on a deck in a container. I am surprised though at the size and number fruit it had for such a little plant.

Maybe Shoe will come along and post a pic of the peppers he grew from the costco seed. Ernie
Agrinerd
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2004
12:55 PM

Post #1105038

I found a news release from 2001 that quoted a rep from Master's Touch / Bionova stating “Traditional plant breeding is enabling us to create proprietary products that add value and variety to our product line,” so they must be their own little hybrids. It will be interesting to see what segregates out in the seedlings.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2004
5:21 PM

Post #1105420

ahah! Good you bumped this thread up, ernie.

Here's a few pics of the peppers. I ended up getting reds, orange, and reds (and of course green, the color they all started out as). The plants were nearly the same in height and leaf structure was the same.

They were sweet! Some were sweeter than others (the reds were definitely the sweetest but I've found that to be true with standard bell peppers also).

Do these look anything like the original peppers you took the seeds from, ernie?

Green:

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2004
5:23 PM

Post #1105426

And orange:

Thumbnail by Horseshoe

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2004
5:25 PM

Post #1105427

Close-up of orange, showing their size better (compared to my thumb):

Thumbnail by Horseshoe

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2004
5:27 PM

Post #1105429

And the reds!

Thumbnail by Horseshoe

eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2004
11:39 PM

Post #1105967

shoe the ones I bought ranged in size from those to a little bigger the basic shape appears to be the same if my memory hasn't faded to much.

Thanks for the pictures and by the way this was the easiest experimental growing I ever did lol.

And the overall production does it seem sufficient to grow again?

Now the real deal may be to winter over a couple plants and see if that makes for more peppers sooner, That is if you have the right place to try it. I read about a guy in Texas who has brought the same plant inside and put it under flourscent lights for five years and even got a few peppers while inside. But then I did say Texas and we all know of the tall tales they are known for lol. Ernie
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 22, 2004
12:55 AM

Post #1106067

eweed ---- I grew some Bell peppers and Red Marconi. The Marconis were my favorite, sweet and thin skin but rarely made it into the house. They were more like a frying pepper in shape, ya know , elongated?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2004
3:04 AM

Post #1106230

Yep...worth growing out again! Good crop, and they are still producing.

As for saving seeds from this years crop...guess we'll hafta see what they produce (hybrid? or not?)

I've been thinking of potting up some of the pepper plants...will see if I get around to it or not. They would live nicely in the g-house.

eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 22, 2004
4:45 AM

Post #1106325

Hmmm never considered you a pot man lol you run heat in the gh how cold are winter normal lows there?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2004
4:37 PM

Post #1106769

Welp, depends on the winter I reckon. Sometimes we get snow, sometimes we don't. We get a few spells with temps in the single digits (at nite) but very rarely.

I only heat a portion of the greenhouse; only heat it to 50º at nite. (Guess I could also put the potted plants on a heat mat also.)
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2004
3:12 AM

Post #1107717

hmmmmmm heat mats sound like a plan.
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2004
4:48 PM

Post #1109935

Good morning shoe and eweed. . .guess I'm feeling a little simple minded this AM, but was trying to determine the variety of those peppers in your pics shoe, by reading the thread. . .what was the final consensus, or did I miss it. I'd like to grow some of these next year and would be happy to purchase the seed, if I know the name.Thanks for an assist. . .I'm going to get another cup of coffee, maybe it will wake me up. . .LOL ;-D Janet
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2004
5:33 PM

Post #1109995

Morning, Janet. I reckon if ernie says these that I grew out look like the ones he took seeds from then they must be the ones the folks in one of the links above grow/sell. (Looks to me like they only sell the product though, not the seed.)

I'll be saving seed from these plants and see what we get again next year. Still not sure if they are hybrid or not. Will holler back sometime and see how many seeds I can manage from this crop (there are VERY few seeds in each pepper).
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2004
6:01 PM

Post #1110030

Thanks shoe. . .I couldn't find anything on the seed in searches that I've done. . .just thought someone might know the variety. . .as the 'Master's Touch' 'VineSweet-Mini Peppers' is a trade name. . .oh well. . patience. . .maybe I'll just go to Costco and get some and save the seed to try next spring. . . looked up the 'Jingle Bell' variety mentioned above and it's not the same pepper, just a short version of a regular bell. . .I think the coffee worked... ;-D
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 24, 2004
6:30 PM

Post #1110054

Hi Shoe. It is my growing season here and they still have those sweeties available.(Hey, that's a good name for them!)Do you think I could still grow them? I know there is only about two or three seeds per pepper. Can I just put them on my window sill to dry and then plant or must it be a process? I've never saved seed so I'm not familiar with the process.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2004
6:40 PM

Post #1110062

Janet and Tplant...I think that is a good and easy source of seed for ya'll, just buy some of them peppers.

The seeds that ernie sent me were just dried on the counter, from what I remember.

Tplant, I'm not familiar anymore with Fla growing season but I know you plant tomatoes now, don'tcha? If so, I would imagine the peppers would do nicely also. I'd go for it. Maybe you can grow some in pots cus I remember you might have a few days of cold weather in Feb, eh? You could move them inside till your "winter' passed by.

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 24, 2004
6:47 PM

Post #1110067

Great Idea Shoe! Thanks again!
lockman
king, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2004
9:20 PM

Post #1110250

Horseshoe My plants are about 4 to 5 feet tall.I have a lot of green peppers. Some red and orange ones. They are coming in slow. The ones I have eaten have been sweet as the ones we planted. Some have 10 to 12 seeds in them. The ones we got seeds from only had 0 to 4 in them. I did not plant them out by themselves. I will grow them next year. Its the best sweet pepper I have ever eaten. I hope someone will find out what they are so we can buy seeds.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2004
10:01 PM

Post #1110286

Howdy Lockman!

Are these the Jingle Bells you mentioned in one of your posts above? (Mini bells.)

Or do they resemble the pics I posted and might be what I grew out from Ernie's seed? (Size and shape.)

None of my plants got to 4-5 feet but that could've been cus I didn't feed them as well as you fed yours. Who knows at this point. Have any pics of what you planted?

(Maybe I should pot up a few of my plants and bring them up Hwy 52, eh!?)

lockman
king, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2004
10:37 PM

Post #1110346

Horseshoe No they are not mini bells. Our mini bells are about 4 to 5 feet tall. We have yellow & red-2 inch, little bell peppers After we heard Sam's had them, we got some and planted the seeds. They grew well but didn't set peppers till about the last of July. They look just like yours. I'm from King but after I tell this you may wonder about me. We have hot pepper plants 7 to 8 feet tall. They are loaded with peppers. We have a camera but don't know how to post pics. Would love to have you to come to King and see our garden.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2004
10:43 PM

Post #1110356

I'll bring my camera when I come! And perhaps while there can show you how to post pics, too!

Sounds like ya'll are growing some mighty good peppers! Is your mkt closing soon?

jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2004
11:35 PM

Post #1110423

Thanks for bumping up this thread eweed. . .I had it on my watchlist and sort of forgot about it and I'm definitely interested in the outcome. . .thanks for everyone's input. . . will keep watching and doing a little experimenting on my own. . ;-D Janet
lockman
king, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2004
12:03 AM

Post #1110457

The last day of our King Farmers' Market will be Saturday October 30th. We won't be there because we sell produce at The One Way Antique Annual Fall Show & Sale in King.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2004
1:08 AM

Post #1110541

"The One Way Antique Annual Fall Show & Sale in King"...now with a name like that it has GOT to be an interesting place to visit! It sounds like great fun!

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 25, 2004
2:20 AM

Post #1110651

AND TO THINK "I STARTED ALL THIS!"
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2004
2:24 AM

Post #1110656

hah!!!...and a big THANK YOU to ya, Tplant!! ;>)

Yay!!!
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2004
2:41 AM

Post #1110667

Pretty smooth Tplant whats next lol
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 25, 2004
3:32 AM

Post #1110751

I just set out my tomatoe seedlings. We'll see whats next. Hang around ya'll!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2004
9:23 PM

Post #1144128

Ya'll keep this thread alive, plz I'm learnin to much for it to die out - still battleing leaves here.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2004
10:43 PM

Post #1144229

ok setting the special seed and save detail at costco. Ernie
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2004
4:51 AM

Post #1144728

Erine - what is a costco?
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2004
5:06 AM

Post #1144736

Dyson A Costco is a store that I purchased peppers from which I saved the seeds that I sent to Shoe to grow out mentioned above. Ernie
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2004
5:15 AM

Post #1144743

We don't have those stores here, I have looked at Wall-mart, Krogers & Food Lion - with no sucess. I am really interested to know if any of the seeds Shoe saved from this year comes back "true" next year.
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2004
5:19 AM

Post #1144747

They look rather like pimentos to me.

Dyson...Costco is a semi warehouse discount club store...like a Sam's Club, or BJs.
daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

November 14, 2004
5:34 AM

Post #1144757

They aren't pimentos. They are mini bell peppers. I have some here from Trader Joe's (grocery store) and we buy them from Costco (warehouse discount store) occasionally. These were grown in Mexico and the label says Minisweet Bell Peppers.

http://www.melissas.com/catalog/index.cfm?product_ID=3333&info=Yes

http://www.felcopruners.net/Pepper%20Seed%20-%20Bell.0.html

http://www.chili-pepper-plants.com/html/sweet_peppers.html
NEChileMan
Methuen, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2005
3:39 AM

Post #1449087

So Shoe, you gowing them again this year?
NECM
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2005
4:50 AM

Post #1449173

howdy chileman!

Yes...have some in the g-house now. Will set them out in a week or so. and will be sure to report back in!

By the way...love your posts and input! Lookng forward to your input! I loves growing peppers!

NEChileMan
Methuen, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2005
5:15 AM

Post #1449208

HiYa Shoe! Nice ta meat ya! Ya grow any hots?

Thumbnail by NEChileMan

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2005
3:36 PM

Post #1449903

Usually just grow the typical ones that are popular around here (cayenne, jalapenol). Have grown Habenaro in the past and a couple other Scotch Bonnet types (from Tobago...not sure if I still have seed of them or not.)

Last year I grew what I simply call "Guam" simply because the son of a friend brought them back from Guam (he is stationed there). They were semi-small, maturing green-to-red and firehot! I made a great hanging basket with some of the plants!

Not a good pic but shows how nicely they (3 plants) fill out a 12 inch basket!

Thumbnail by Horseshoe

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2005
10:05 PM

Post #1450808

basket?? where's the basket?? LOL They *did* fill out nicely!

BTW, although it's not quite the same as the one 'Shoe grew out from Tplant's seed, I really like 'Sweet Pickles' pepper. It's an OP variety, and you can order the seed from several places (or trade with me sometime). It's a compact plant that's as pretty as any ornamental chile, IMO, and when the peppers ripen to red they are sooo sweet! The seeds are in a small cone/core at the top, and they aren't at all bitter, so you can eat them if you want. Good for pickled peppers, as the name suggests, but I ate just as many fresh!
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2005
11:09 PM

Post #1450910

Critter did you grow spp in or will it grow in a 12 inch basket or two or three as shoe did?

Shoe I noticed Costco marketed a different type this winter looked kinda like the ones I sent you the seed for but were a little different these were described as sweet mini bells and from a different company.Ernie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2005
11:13 PM

Post #1450915

I grew 'Sweet Pickles' in a deep (8") windowbox, and it survived but was a little runty. The ones in the ground got to maybe 20 inches tall & wide. I'm thinking that a 14" pot might make it really happy, and a 12" pot would probably be good too. It's more of a bush shape, though, so I don't know how well it would hang, and I definitely would plant just one per pot.

I've seen the peppers you started out discussing on this thread, and I've seen sweet mini bells ('Jingle Bells' is one cultivar), and they are definitely different peppers.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2005
1:58 AM

Post #1451250

critter...the sweet ones I grew came from Ernie (eweed), not Tplant (just to clarify the source).

ernie..did the new ones look like bells? Or were they shaped more long, like the ones last year?

By the way, I have some plants started from saved seed last year and will set those out in about two weeks.

eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2005
3:26 AM

Post #1451423

Shoe they were longer and leaner but not at all bell shaped I thought maybe they used an import label left from a different variety rather than print new labels for a small production run who knows.

If the ones I sent you last year were hibred you may get something interesting this year hope they come true to form for you.

I started 18 kinds this year but think I will go to about three next year and just buy a couple hot ones next year.Ernie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2005
3:54 AM

Post #1451484

whoops, sorry for the confusion.

'Shoe, are you undertaking the task of dehybridizing this pepper? I've tasted them (got mine from Sam's), and they really are wonderful. I think they run a little larger than the 'Sweet Pickles', and I'd happily grow them as well if I could. Hope this year's plants do well!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2005
2:18 PM

Post #1452038

critter...don't know if I'm dehybridizing these or not! The seeds Ernie sent me should've been F2 seeds if the peppers he purchased were considered hybrids to begin with. And those plants/peppers came out really great! (Pics way above in this thread.)

I saved seeds from some of those and had great germination so we'll see what they do this year. If they end up like the delicious ones from last year they may not necessarily be a hybrid but rather a mix of various pepper types due to their natural coloring (some turned to red, others to yellow, others to golden).

So far I haven't set any in the ground yet but hope to in another week or so, maybe end of May.

Will have to try the Sweet Pickle sometime but most likely next year. I'm growing too many kinds this year and only have one good place to isolate the pepper seeds I want to save.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #3545225

Did anyone ever identify this pepper? From the thread, it sounds like it would be great.
lockman
king, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2007
7:01 PM

Post #3602737

dreaves not as I know. We brought peppers an sow the seeds. They tasted just as well. Hope this helps.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2007
1:36 PM

Post #3609792

I found some of the peppers in a Wal-Mart supercenter produce section...I guess I try thos seeds. I may go ahead and try this year, since we won't see frost in central Texas until sometime in November or even December.

David
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2007
1:41 PM

Post #3609806

Good call - let us know the results please.
zebraman
Venice, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2007
11:55 PM

Post #3979408

Hey Guys; The peppers that Tplant is looking for are called "Dulcetta"-TM.You can get seeds at www.ecoseeds.com/ They are, of course way over priced.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 16, 2007
12:44 AM

Post #3979613

The price kind of reminds of Marianna's Peace when they first became available @ $6 per seed? Now you can buy them for $2.50 for twenty or thirty seeds.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #4432680

Did anyone ever decide if these were hybrid? The peppers listed on ecoseeds.com as "Dulcetta-TM" are from Redwood City Seeds who claim to sell "Old-fashioned and Heirloom".

I didn't get the plants start last summer, but have some starts on the heat mat now from seeds I saved. I'm hoping that they turn out to be non-hybrid and as good as the variety in the retail package.

Shoe, Lockman, Ernie--Have the results been consistent since you started planting this pepper in 2004?

David
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #4432692

David I did not plant them I sent the seeds to shoe
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #4433044

I hope Shoe is still watching this thread!

Whether he undertook the project with these peppers or not, I'm really hoping that he'll write us an ARTICLE about dehybridizing... you know he would do an awesome job, and he'd make it entertaining to read, too. I thought maybe we, as his fan club, could give him a little nudge...

:-)

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #4433068

Critter, I enjoyed your article in this week's newsletter!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #4433318

Thanks! I've been having fun writing them. Shoe is officially "on the team," but I think he needs to be encouraged to find some time to write. :-) You know he will be too busy in the garden this summer!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2008
4:39 AM

Post #4436436

Mornin', Folks! (Well, almost mornin'...give it another 25 minutes and it'll be midnight at MoonDance Farm!)...

Yep, I grew out those seeds and they were great! (Thanks you, dreaves, for the guidance to a source and picture of those peppers. The Dulcetta pic looks exactly like them!)

The seeds Ernie sent me came true. I also grew some out the second year from saved seeds and the growth habit and the coloring of the peppers was identical with no signs of any reversion or mutants. I sent seeds out to several people but never heard back from anyone as to their success. (I believe I sent some to Agrinerd, maybe he'll pop in and update us.)

As I sit here typing I am not sure if I still have any seeds. What would've been the third year of growing them I chose to grow some other pepper varieties and wanted to be careful of crossing. As I get my ducks in a row regarding more seed planning, filing incoming seeds (purchased supplies are coming in regularly now, keeping me busy with something called "organization"!) I'll be sure to check my seed larders and see what lurks in there. Hopefully I saved some of those pepper seeds and didn't give them all away.

Critter, I hear that nudge! And you are right, time is at a premium here but everywhere I look around here I say "now there's an article just waiting to be written". (I talk to myself quite often, ya know.) It's a big disappointment to me that I have entirely too many pressing issues to deal with. I'm hoping 2008 will be a much more pleasant year and allowing me to spend more time with a pencil, paper, or even the keyboard!

Happy Gardening to All!

Shoe
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2008
5:11 AM

Post #4436536

Shoe, I'm hoping for a pleasant year with fewer pressing issues for you, too... and not just because I (selfishly) want to read those articles that are buzzing around in your brain! Take care of yourself.

It's good to get an encouraging report on those peppers... hopefully you'll hear something from other folks who got seeds, also. (For the record -- I'm not holding out on you! I wasn't part of the grow-out effort. LOL)
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2008
5:22 AM

Post #4436590

Hah! I know I didn't send you any, so you're off the hook!

I did grow out Sweet Pickle peppers this past year, due to your recommendation. You're right, well worth growing! I enjoyed growing, eating, and sharing those! My customers also raved about them. (Unfortunately I never got around to canning any of them!)

Shoe
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2008
5:34 AM

Post #4436646

Shoe checking out the seed thing is a good deal I think while browsing I saw a full pkg of sweet pickles heck I find all kinds of things when I bother to look. Do you think sweet P is better for pickels than the one I sent you to try.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2008
6:18 AM

Post #4436804

I haven't tried yours, Ernie, but I like the size of 'Sweet Pickle' for canning whole. Seeds aren't bitter, so you don't need to remove them, just cut a couple of slits so the pickling brine gets in. I do them like those Italian pickled pepperoncini.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2008
6:35 AM

Post #4436886

No, Ernie, I wouldn't say Sweet Pickle is better than the Dulcetta but both would be great for pickling. "Dulcetta" (which I have in my records listed as "Ernie Sweets", for lack of a true name at that time!) is a bit sweeter than Sweet Pickle, at least comparing Sweet Pickle to them from only this past year they were. The walls of Dulcetta were thicker, too.

Pepper flavor, as well as their physical qualities, really seems to be contingent on the weather. We had (and still have) an extreme drought here and although Sweet Pickle is a good pepper the walls were nowhere near as thick (and juicy) as Dulcetta was those two years I grew them. Perhaps it was because of the excessive heat and dryness. I'll be growing Sweet Pickle again this year as I can't stand to grow something for only one year; I really like to give it a chance to prove itself!

I believe you'll like Sweet Pickle though, it is fairly prolific, colorful, and versatile. (Good for fresh eating, grilling, salads, and, maybe this coming season I won't sell all mine and I can pickle some!)

Shoe
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2008
6:40 AM

Post #4436911

We need to dig up your sweet pickle recipe, critter. I'm sure I have it saved somewhere but think my eyeballs are telling me to close up the shoffice and head up to the house for a few hours. Daylight comes early, or so it seems!

Shoe
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2008
6:49 AM

Post #4436949

Okay...couldn't leave without doing a search first! Found it!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/538639/

Nitey nite, ya'll!

Shoe
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2008
7:35 AM

Post #4437065

:-) The second recipe on that thread is the one I use for whole 'Sweet Pickle' peppers.

Actually, I included the first recipe at the bottom of a just-submitted article on non-bell varieties of sweet peppers. So that'll give us another way to find it this summer (I think I put "pickled peppers" as one of the article keyword tags). The title will make Shoe roll his eyes in mock dismay (I know he's a closet punster, I just know it) -- "Can’t Grow Bell Peppers? Here’s a Ringing Endorsement for Some Alternative Sweet Pepper Varieties."

And yes, 'Sweet Pickle' is one of the varieties described!

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #4437972

It's encouraging that the seeds grew true to form for you. I'm growing several different peppers this year, so cross-pollenation could be an issue. I guess that if nothing else, I can always buy a batch at the store and save the seeds. Mine are just starting to germinate...I saw a few peeking through last night--four days after planting. Heat mats are a WONDERFUL thing.

David
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4438005

Yes they are! I've been raving about my heat mats for the past couple of growing seasons. I don't normally talk up my own articles so much, but since I've already brought them up on this thread... I'll have one this Thursday on seedling heat mats and DIY alternatives. Be sure to check out the photo at the top -- Red Savina seedlings, 12 days after sowing and ready to transplant! Before heat mats, I was lucky to get a pepper seed to germinate in 12 days...
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2008
6:21 AM

Post #4441749

Pepper comparison, -- I have enjoyed this thred, -- Michael

Thumbnail by Michaelp

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #4442193

WOW! Michael, it's good to hear from you! That photo deserves a thread of its own, for all those whose peppers can't be too hot... it would spark a lot of excited discussion. Those Bhut Jolokia are huge!
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2008
7:14 AM

Post #4446255

For a ultra hot pepper they are huge, --the old saying , --that smaller peppers are hottest -- just is not true any more, --nice to see you are still writing also, --hope you are well, --Yours in the garden, --Michael
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2008
7:18 AM

Post #4446257

If I start a thread I will have to make time to read and be a part if it--maybe that is a good thing---
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #4446709

Of course that's a good thing! We need you to hang around here more. :-)
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #4449201

Thanks--it is always nice to see you here also, [ and we have had so much fun hurting our selves with these wonderful peppers] but it hurts so good---Michael
BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 27, 2008
6:49 PM

Post #4460840

I just orderd baby peppers from seedman.com

BocaBob
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #4496863

Are these the right peppers? The very delicious sweet minis of unknown variety that were found at a grocery store? In reading this thread I'm completely enabled and must find some seed to try them.

http://www.reimerseeds.com/mini-belle-mix-sweet-peppers.aspx

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #4497098

Rosethyme,

The peppers that most are talking about resemble the "Dulcetta-TM" peppers sold by EcoSeeds.com. http://ecoseeds.com/pepperpics.html#anchor93 Several people have reported good results starting the seeds from the boxed peppers purchased at the grocery store. The brand available in my area was "Master's Touch." They weren't in the produce aisle the last few times I checked, though.

Wikipedia has a reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vine_sweet_mini_peppers that says that the seeds generally are unfertile and leave out the original desirable traits when they do germinate. That seems to be contrary to the experience of the Dave's Garden pepper growers that have tried, though.

I bought a box of the peppers (actually several--they are delicious, but expensive here) and saved some seed to grow this year. I don't know if I'll have the same results as others have, but at least the seeds are generally viable. Almost all the seeds I started are up and about 3 inches tall. I have 11 plants in peat pellets and will transplant to pots this weekend. One pellet did not sprout at all--the others generally sprouted both seeds that I planted, so I had to thin.

I have about 40 mixed seeds or so left that I'm willing to share. The seeds I saved are mixed and may be yellow, orange, or red. Possibly one color is more fertile than the others. I saved seeds from the peppers that had more than two or three seeds each. Send me a D-mail with your mailing address and I will send you a few. If the seeds grow true this year, I'll be able to save plenty for next year. If not, I'll have to break down and buy some of the "Dulcetta" seed.

David

rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2008
4:46 AM

Post #4497219

Thanks, David. You have D-mail.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #4498107

Rosethyme,

I put about 20 of the seeds in the mail this morning. I started mine over heat and they seem to be doing pretty well. Please let me know how they do for you, both germinating and in the resulting pepper.

David R
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #4500061

Thanks so much David...I'll let you know how they do.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #4748102

Thgis thread is very interesting to me, since I discovered the mini sweet peppers 2 years ago. I have been successful in keeping several generations going from my saved seeds. The taste & texture is excellent- they roast very well, and are not watery like bells can be. Here's the link to the company that packaged mine- http://www.masterstouch.com/ and here's a photo- they look like a Christmas tree in the garden when they ripen! When I moved here 4 months ago from Florida I brought lots of my harvested seeds with me- they are now sturdy seedlings waiting for the cold to go away!

Thumbnail by JoParrott

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM
PMMV Resistant Varieties? Ozark 12 Jun 26, 2011 1:16 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America